As Democrat Cal Cunningham Dodges Scandal Accountability, Affair Allegations Shake Up Race
October 19, 2020 8:56 pm
Tags: 2020 Election, Cal Cunningham, North Carolina, Politics, sex scandal, Thom Tillis
Categories: 2020 Election Breitbart News Cal Cunningham JoshWho News North Carolina Politics sex scandal Thom Tillis
As North Carolina Senate Democrat candidate Cal Cunningham continues to dodge questions about his alleged affairs, the affairs have shaken up Cunningham’s bid in the final weeks of the pivotal Senate race.
While Cunningham has refused calls to answer his affair allegations, he appeared at a virtual event on health care on Monday. During the event, he claimed that North Carolinians’s health care is in jeopardy if Republicans win in November.
Luke Blanchat, Sen. Thom Tillis’s (R-NC) campaign manager, slammed Cunningham for refusing to answer questions about his alleged affairs.
“The real Cal Cunningham is a hypocrite who disgraced his family, the Army, and the people of North Carolina,” Blanchat said.
The Tillis campaign released an ad on Monday. Veterans attack Cunningham for allegedly violating the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMF) for having an affair with another veterans’ wife.
The scandal has upended the pivotal North Carolina Senate race. Tillis’s reelection could help Republicans maintain their majority in the Senate.
An Emerson College poll released last week found that Cunningham leads Tillis by only one point or 45 to 44 percent. Cunningham’s RealClearPolitics polling average lead dropped from 6.6 points to 4.3 percent as Cunningham’s scandal continued to unfold.
Adam Meldrum of Ad Victory, whose company tracks online discussions of how Americans discuss elections, said that more voters are talking about the Supreme Court nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett than Cunningham’s affairs. However, he said that the discussion about Barrett’s confirmation would help Tillis in the final weeks of the election.
Meldrum said, “Cunningham really had a very neutral to positive sentiment about him not being a current elected official.”
“With the Supreme Court, you saw a dramatic benefit to Republican candidates when that time came up. It was something I think the base really got fired up about,” he added.
Sean Moran is a congressional reporter for Breitbart News. Follow him on Twitter @SeanMoran3.
- When The Levee Breaks… September 20, 2021
- If Only We Could Find A Cure For Trump Derangement Syndrome September 19, 2021
- The Fed Has Liquidated Its Entire Corporate Bond Portfolio September 19, 2021
- Report: Secondary Schools in Afghanistan Open Without Female Students or Teachers September 19, 2021
- U.S., Mexico Begin Removal Flights for Haitian Migrants September 19, 2021
- Report: Beto O’Rourke Eyes Political Comeback in Texas Gubernatorial Race September 19, 2021
- Rickards: No Recovery Until 2045? September 19, 2021
- Kadish: Is It Puppeteers Or Puppets In Control In Washington? September 18, 2021
- Hospital Staff That Decline COVID Vaccine For Religious Reasons Must Attest To Also Swearing Off Tylenol, Tums, & Other Common Meds September 18, 2021
- ‘Justice for J6’: Protesters Call for Due Process for Capitol Attack Detainees September 18, 2021
- Mexican State Cops Stop Buses with Caribbean Migrants Headed for Border, They Kept Walking September 18, 2021
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Venezuelan, Colombian Migrants Cross Border Upstream from Del Rio Migrant Camp September 18, 2021
- Could Biden Nominate Anti-Gun Activist David Chipman As “Gun Czar”? September 16, 2021
- COVID Hysteria Could Destroy A Generation September 16, 2021
- The Illusion Of Getting Rich While Producing Nothing September 16, 2021
- Report: John Durham Will Seek Indictment of Democratic Lawyer for Allegedly Lying to the F.B.I. During ‘Russian Collusion’ Investigation September 16, 2021
- Watch: Joe Biden Forgets Who He’s Talking To — Calls Australian PM ‘That Fella Down Under’ September 16, 2021
- Major UK Fertilizer Plants Shuttered Due To Skyrocketing Natural Gas Prices September 16, 2021
- Canada’s Conservatives Are Using Soaring Inflation To Help Defeat Trudeau September 15, 2021
- Mary Trump: Donald’s Entire Cabinet in ‘Dereliction of Its Duty’ for Not Invoking 25th Amendment September 15, 2021
- 1,659,909 hits