Atl Suspect’s Fixation on Sex Is Familiar Thorn for Evangelicals
March 20, 2021 5:00 pm
Tags: Addiction (Psychology), Atlanta Spa Shootings (2021), Christians and Christianity, Evangelical Movement, Long, Pornography, Robert Aaron, sex
Categories: Addiction (Psychology) Atlanta Spa Shootings (2021) Christians and Christianity Evangelical Movement JoshWho News Long, Robert Aaron nyt Pornography sex US US News
“Sex addiction” is not an established psychiatric diagnosis, and there is a debate in the mental health community about how to define and treat compulsive sexual behavior.
“There’s no evidence-based treatment for sex addiction,” said Joshua Grubbs, an assistant professor of psychology at Bowling Green State University and a clinical psychologist. Evangelical sex addiction treatment tends to emphasize total abstinence from any sexual behavior outside heterosexual marriage. “They don’t take into account that humans are creatures with a drive for sex,” Dr. Grubbs said.
Mr. Long and his family were active members at Crabapple First Baptist Church in Milton, Ga., which is affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention. In the church’s youth group for high school students, Mr. Long was “one of those core young men involved in everything we did,” said Brett Cottrell, a former youth and missions pastor at the church.
In November, an associate pastor at the church, Luke Folsom, preached a sermon on the “battle” against sin. He quoted a verse from the Gospel of Matthew, in which Jesus tells his followers that it may be worth gouging out an eye if it causes them to sin.
He continued, addressing the use of pornography directly. “Cut it out by getting rid of your smartphone, getting rid of internet connection, anything and everything that would allow you to do it,” he said. “Your soul is at stake.”
Lust, he added, is “a heart problem, not just an eye problem.”
The church, which declined a request for an interview with its leaders, issued a statement on Friday that condemned the violence at the Atlanta-area spas, as well as the suspect’s “stated reasons for carrying out this wicked plan.”
The church also emphasized that the gunman alone was to blame for his actions. “The women that he solicited for sexual acts are not responsible for his perverse sexual desires nor do they bear any blame in these murders,” the church stated. “These actions are the result of a sinful heart and depraved mind.”
- Nearly 40% Of All Illinois COVID Deaths In The Last Month Are Breakthroughs. What Gives? January 27, 2022
- Will The UK’s Return-To-Normal Force Biden’s Hand? January 27, 2022
- Putin Holds Economic-Development Meeting With Italian Executives Amid Rising Tensions With West January 27, 2022
- Schweizer: Pelosi Family ‘Has Done a Lot of Business in China Since the COVID Outbreak’ — Won’t Allow Hearings on COVID Origins January 26, 2022
- China Uses George W. Bush to Promote Genocide Olympics January 26, 2022
- Doctor’s Organization Has Treated Over 150,000 COVID-19 Patients With 99.99% Survival January 26, 2022
- REVEALED: Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s Husband Partly Owned a Chinese Company That Sold Spyware to U.S. Military January 26, 2022
- Tesla Tumbles Despite Across The Board Beat After Warning Supply-Chain Constraints Seen Through 2022 January 26, 2022
- Nomura: Here Comes ‘The Big One’ January 26, 2022
- Welsh Businesses Demand Vaccine Passport Exemptions After Government Fails To Prove They Work January 26, 2022
- Watch: Mass Release Of ‘Single Adult Migrants’ Into Small Texas Town January 25, 2022
- Marsha Blackburn on ‘Red-Handed’: ‘Communist China Loves Biden’ January 25, 2022
- Biden Family Planned to Share Office Space with Company Employing ‘F**king Spy Chief of China’ January 25, 2022
- Kid Rock Rips Biden, Fauci in ‘We the People’ Anthem: ‘Let’s Go Brandon’ January 25, 2022
- ‘Deja Vu All Over Again’ As Stocks Dump’n’Pump Again Ahead Of Fed January 25, 2022
- IMF Slashes Global GDP Growth To 4.4% In 2022, Warns On Aggressive Fed Tightening January 25, 2022
- WHO Chief Says Europe Moving Towards Pandemic “Endgame” January 25, 2022
- Pinkerton: Biden by the Numbers – the Data of Failure January 24, 2022
- New Study Finds CFA Charterholders Are Actually Worse At Investing January 24, 2022
- ‘Red-Handed’ Reveals Chinese Donations to University of Pennsylvania Soared After Biden Center Announcement January 24, 2022
- 1,674,381 hits