Australian Government List Right-Wing Group as Terrorist Organisation for the First Time
Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton is listing the Sonnenkrieg Division—also known as SKD—under the criminal code, joining the likes of Islamic State and al-Qaeda.
Members of the group have been convicted for plotting to attack the British royal family, as well as disseminating terrorist material.
Dutton said the listing reflected the government’s commitment to stamping out violence and extremism of all kinds, regardless of ideology or motivation.
“SKD adheres to an abhorrent, violent ideology that encourages lone-wolf terrorist actors who would seek to cause significant harm to our way of life and our country,” Dutton said on Monday.
“Members of SKD have already been convicted of terrorist offences in the United Kingdom, including encouraging terrorism, preparing for a terrorist attack, and possession and dissemination of terrorist material.”
The listing enables all available terrorist offences and penalties to apply to the organisation, including up to 25 years in jail for some offences.
ASIO boss Mike Burgess said last week ideological extremism investigations had grown from a third of the intelligence agency’s caseload to 40 percent.
“People often think we’re talking about skinheads with swastika tattoos and jackboots roaming the backstreets like extras from Romper Stomper, but it’s no longer that obvious,” he said in a speech.
“Today’s ideological extremist is more likely to be motivated by a social or economic grievance than national socialism.
“More often than not, they are young, well-educated, articulate, and middle class – and not easily identified.”
Labor has been urging the government to start listing right-wing extremist groups.
But the government has insisted it was waiting for advice from ASIO.
Until Monday, Australia was the only country inside the Five Eyes intelligence network—which includes the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and New Zealand—not to have labelled any right-wing extremists as terrorists.
- International Space Station Briefly Destabilized After Accidental Russian Rocket Firing October 16, 2021
- Huge Dock Worker Protests In Italy, Fears Of Disruption, As Covid ‘Green Pass’ Takes Effect October 16, 2021
- Bovard: When Barack Obama Got Away With Murder October 15, 2021
- Rivera on Unvaccinated Kyrie Irving: ‘I Am Mad’ — ‘He’s Hurting Everybody’ October 15, 2021
- Joe Biden Wants Justice Department to Prosecute Trump Loyalists Defying Congressional Subpoenas October 15, 2021
- Flooding In West China Destroys Agricultural Production October 15, 2021
- Report: Hunter Biden Said Offer from Powerful Chinese Investor Had ‘Everything to Do with My Last Name’ October 15, 2021
- Bill Clinton Hospitalized For Infection That Spread To Bloodstream October 15, 2021
- Cryptos Surge On News SEC “Set To Allow” Bitcoin Futures ETF October 15, 2021
- Treasury Official Warns Using Stablecoins For Payments “Raises A Whole Set Of Issues” October 14, 2021
- Biden’s Court-packing Commission Blames Republicans for Polarization over Judiciary October 14, 2021
- Poll: Americans Are Increasingly Wary of Government Overreach Under Biden October 14, 2021
- Justice Breyer Calls SCOTUS ‘Fallible’ as Leftists Seek to Pack the Court October 14, 2021
- Putin: $100 Oil Is “Quite Possible” October 14, 2021
- The Great New Normal Purge October 13, 2021
- Trump: ‘Republicans Will Not Be Voting’ in Future Elections Unless 2020 Fraud Resolved October 13, 2021
- Charles Hurt: Sorry Republican Swamp Creatures, the Trump Train Rolls On October 13, 2021
- Joe Biden Blames Private Companies for Port Delays October 13, 2021
- Stellar Demand For 30Y Auction As Curve Comes Crashing Down October 13, 2021
- FDA Says No Need For Boosters As Moderna, J&J Plead Case October 13, 2021
- 1,662,664 hits