Baltimore Ends Prosecution of Low-Level Crimes Such As Prostitution, Drug Possession
March 27, 2021 1:31 pm
Tags: Baltimore, Crime, Drugs, Marilyn Mosby, Michael Harrison, Politics, Pre-Viral, prostitution
Categories: Baltimore Breitbart News Crime Drugs JoshWho News Marilyn Mosby Michael Harrison Politics Pre-Viral prostitution
Baltimore will no longer prosecute certain low-level crimes, which include prostitution, drug possession, and minor traffic offenses, State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby said Friday.
“The move was unveiled in a press release from Mosby’s office as it reported ‘one-year success’ of policies implemented last March to not prosecute the nonviolent charges amid the coronavirus pandemic,” the Hill reported.
According to the release, the policies enacted in 2020 “have resulted in a decrease in arrests, no adverse impact on the crime rate, and address the systemic inequity of mass incarceration,” thus the state’s attorney announced the “permanent adoption” of the policies.
Today, America’s war on drug users is over in the city of Baltimore. We leave behind the era of tough-on-crime prosecution and zero tolerance policing and no longer default to the status quo to criminalize mostly people of color for addiction. We will develop sustainable solutions and allow our public health partners to do their part to address mental health and substance use disorder.
Clearly prosecuting low-level offenses with no public safety value is counterproductive to the limited law enforcement resources we have. When the courts open next month, I want my prosecutors working with the police and focused on violent offenses, like armed robbery, carjacking cases and drug distribution organizations that are the underbelly of the violence in Baltimore, not using valuable jury trial time on those that suffer from addiction.
However, state Sen. Robert Cassilly, a Republican from Harford County, told Fox 45, “Prosecutors take an oath to uphold the constitution in the state of Maryland and the constitution says the general assembly sets the policy, not the prosecutors.”
“I respect the whole prosecutorial discretion. That’s not prosecutorial discretion, that’s an exercise in legislating. That’s what the legislature is supposed to do,” he continued.
When Mosby was asked to respond and if she was concerned about sending a message that lawlessness could be tolerated, she said, “I say follow the data. So, what we’ve been able to prove in the past year is that crime has decreased.”
In the 12 months since the scaled-back enforcement was ordered, violent crime reportedly decreased 20 percent and property crime came down 36 percent, according to NBC News.
“Homicides inched down, though Baltimore still has one of the highest homicide rates among cities nationwide,” the outlet said.
The Baltimore Police Department will continue working with the State’s Attorney Office regarding violent crimes, according to Commissioner Michael Harrison.
“We will continue to be responsive to the public safety needs of our residents and hold violent criminals accountable,” he concluded.
- Musk Tweets “Wild $T1mes!” After TSLA Joins ‘Four Commas’ Club October 25, 2021
- Musk Tops $250 Billion Net Worth After TSLA Rockets Past FB As 5th Biggest US Stock October 25, 2021
- Goldman Cut’s China’s 2022 GDP To Just 5.2% October 24, 2021
- ADL Warns: Avoid Culturally Insensitive, Gender-conforming Halloween Costumes October 24, 2021
- New Zealand Prime Minister Admits She Wants to Create Two Classes of Citizens Based on Vaccination Status October 24, 2021
- ‘The Richest He’s Ever Been’: Trump Set To Gain Billions In Net Worth On Moonshot SPAC October 24, 2021
- Washington Post ‘Forced to Admit They Lied’ After Pretending ‘F*ck Joe Biden’ Chant Was ‘Let’s Go, Brandon’ October 24, 2021
- Citigroup Becomes First Wall Street Megabank To Commit To “Racial Audit” October 24, 2021
- Gordon Chang: Joe Biden’s Taiwan Policy Is Now A Total Disaster October 23, 2021
- Pinkerton: Bidenflation Meets Bidenunemployment October 23, 2021
- President Biden Delays Release of JFK Assassination Records, Blaming Pandemic October 23, 2021
- CDC Director Admits “We May Need To Update Our Definition Of ‘Fully Vaccinated'” October 23, 2021
- Poland Will Not Be “Blackmailed” Into Accepting European Union Laws, PM Morawiecki Says October 23, 2021
- Why Should American Soldiers Die For Taiwan? October 22, 2021
- Mutated Strain Of Delta Variant Causing Panic In UK Has Been Found In US October 22, 2021
- Rep. Tiffany Grills AG Merrick Garland on Race-Based Loan Relief for Black Farmers October 22, 2021
- Democrat Terry McAuliffe Uses ‘Very Fine People’ Hoax in Campaign Ad Attacking Youngkin October 22, 2021
- Report: Joe Biden Builds ‘Wall’ Around His Delaware Beach House, Makes America Pay for It October 22, 2021
- Watch: Marine Vet Single-Handedly Disarms Gun-Wielding Robber In Seconds October 22, 2021
- Peter Schiff: Transitory Permanence October 22, 2021
- 1,663,609 hits