Bernie Sanders not ‘comfortable’ with social media banning Trump
March 24, 2021 3:51 pm
Tags: Bernie Sanders, Big Tech, censorship, Donald Trump, Featured, free speech, Nation, Politics, Social Media
Categories: Bernie Sanders Big Tech censorship Donald Trump Featured free speech JoshWho News Nation Politics Saraa Carter Social Media
On Tuesday, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) raised concerns surrounding social media platforms having banned former President Donald Trump, expressing worries about large tech companies having too much power.
Sanders’ remarks come after a Trump advisor told Fox News on Sunday that the former president plans to return to “social media in probably about two or three months here, with his own platform”.
Appearing on the “The Ezra Klein Show” podcast, the democratic socialist said that Trump was “a racist, a sexist, a homophobe, a xenophobe, a pathological liar, an authoritarian, somebody who doesn’t believe in the rule of law,” when asked if he thinks “there is truth to the substantive critique […] that liberals have become too censorious and too willing to use their cultural, and corporate, and political power to censor or suppress ideas and products that offend them”.
However, Sanders added that he didn’t “feel particularly comfortable” about the former president not being able to “express his views on Twitter”.
In January, Twitter permanently suspended Trump’s widely followed account after a mob of his supporters violently stormed the U.S. Capitol, with the company citing a “risk of further incitement of violence”. Likewise, sites such as Facebook, YouTube, and others also suspended the then-president’s accounts.
The senator continued, saying that social media sites should not permit “hate speech and conspiracy theories” on their platforms and that the World Wide Web should not be used for “authoritarian purposes and insurrection.” Despite this, he admitted that he didn’t have an answer for how to balance free speech and combatting online hate acts.
“Yesterday it was Donald Trump who was banned,” Sanders added, “and tomorrow it could be somebody else who has a very different point of view.”
“I don’t like giving that much power to a handful of high tech people,” he also told host Ezra Klein, “but the devil is obviously in the details and it’s something we’re going to have to think long and hard on, and that is how you preserve First Amendment rights without moving this country into a big lie mentality and conspiracy theories.”
You can follow Douglas Braff on Twitter @Douglas_P_Braff.
- Democrats In Congress Try To Abolish Space Force September 25, 2021
- Watch Live: President Trump Hosts a Political Rally in Georgia September 25, 2021
- Mayorkas Tells Migrants How to Get Through Title 42 Border Barrier September 25, 2021
- A Nationally Televised Example Of The Chaos False Positive COVID Tests Create September 25, 2021
- Arizona Senate Report on the Maricopa County Election Audit Highlights 49,000 Questionable Votes, Asks AG to Investigate September 25, 2021
- “Immunity As A Service” – The Snake-Oil Salesmen & The COVID-Zero Con September 24, 2021
- Los Angeles Homeless Moving Back Onto Street After Cleanups September 24, 2021
- LIVE: Audit Report Released To AZ Senate in Phoenix, AZ 9/24/21 on JoshWho September 24, 2021
- DHS Secretary Alejandros Mayorkas Considers Eliminating Border Horse Patrol Citing ‘Systemic Racism’ September 24, 2021
- DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas: We Did Not Test Haitian Migrants for Coronavirus Before Releasing Them into U.S. September 24, 2021
- Exclusive: Dan Crenshaw Says Some Democrats ‘Quietly’ Interested in Cutting Catch and Release for Illegal Aliens September 24, 2021
- Pentagon Belatedly Releases Name Of Misidentified “ISIS-K Target” Killed In Kabul Drone Strike September 24, 2021
- Chairman, CEO Of China’s HNA Group Arrested For “Suspected Crime” September 24, 2021
- The European Energy Crisis Is About To Go Global September 24, 2021
- Unbiased, Mobility-Enabling, Open, Global Network: How Crypto Enables Economic Freedom September 23, 2021
- Report: California Put Coronavirus-Infected Inmates, Including Illegal Aliens, into Communities September 23, 2021
- Gov. Newsom: Vaccine Mandate for Kids ‘on the Table’ September 23, 2021
- The Latest Coronavirus Death Tolls, According to the CDC September 23, 2021
- Submitting VAERS COVID Vaccine Death Reports became a Full Time Job and is Overwhelmingly Climbing in Deaths. September 23, 2021
- Molecular Biologist Speaks At Dawson Creek City Council Meeting. September 23, 2021
- 1,660,384 hits