Bernie Sanders not ‘comfortable’ with social media banning Trump
March 24, 2021 3:51 pm
Tags: Bernie Sanders, Big Tech, censorship, Donald Trump, Featured, free speech, Nation, Politics, Social Media
Categories: Bernie Sanders Big Tech censorship Donald Trump Featured free speech JoshWho News Nation Politics Saraa Carter Social Media
On Tuesday, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) raised concerns surrounding social media platforms having banned former President Donald Trump, expressing worries about large tech companies having too much power.
Sanders’ remarks come after a Trump advisor told Fox News on Sunday that the former president plans to return to “social media in probably about two or three months here, with his own platform”.
Appearing on the “The Ezra Klein Show” podcast, the democratic socialist said that Trump was “a racist, a sexist, a homophobe, a xenophobe, a pathological liar, an authoritarian, somebody who doesn’t believe in the rule of law,” when asked if he thinks “there is truth to the substantive critique […] that liberals have become too censorious and too willing to use their cultural, and corporate, and political power to censor or suppress ideas and products that offend them”.
However, Sanders added that he didn’t “feel particularly comfortable” about the former president not being able to “express his views on Twitter”.
In January, Twitter permanently suspended Trump’s widely followed account after a mob of his supporters violently stormed the U.S. Capitol, with the company citing a “risk of further incitement of violence”. Likewise, sites such as Facebook, YouTube, and others also suspended the then-president’s accounts.
The senator continued, saying that social media sites should not permit “hate speech and conspiracy theories” on their platforms and that the World Wide Web should not be used for “authoritarian purposes and insurrection.” Despite this, he admitted that he didn’t have an answer for how to balance free speech and combatting online hate acts.
“Yesterday it was Donald Trump who was banned,” Sanders added, “and tomorrow it could be somebody else who has a very different point of view.”
“I don’t like giving that much power to a handful of high tech people,” he also told host Ezra Klein, “but the devil is obviously in the details and it’s something we’re going to have to think long and hard on, and that is how you preserve First Amendment rights without moving this country into a big lie mentality and conspiracy theories.”
You can follow Douglas Braff on Twitter @Douglas_P_Braff.
- Walmart Recalls Aromatherapy Spray Due To Presence Of Rare And Deadly Bacteria October 26, 2021
- Jan. 6th 2020 was 100% Staged. Meet FBI Informant Ray Epps The Fed-Protected Provocateur Who Appears To Have Led The Very First 1/6 Attack On The U.S. Capitol October 26, 2021
- Dave Chappelle Won’t Speak with Critics Unless They ‘Admit’ Comic Who Torched Netflix for Defending Him ‘Isn’t Funny’ October 26, 2021
- Men Shot by Kyle Rittenhouse Can Be Called ‘Rioters,’ ‘Looters,’ But Not ‘Victims,’ Judge Rules October 26, 2021
- United Nations Wants U.S. to Import More Afghans as Soros Aids Biden’s Resettlement October 26, 2021
- FDA Panel Votes In Favor Of Pfizer Covid-19 Vaccine For Children Aged 5 – 11 October 26, 2021
- Democrats Stalking $5 Trillion In Billionaire Wealth For Tax Extraction October 26, 2021
- The Lost ‘Lockdown’ Months Of The COVID Crisis October 26, 2021
- Striking Workers Decry “Suicide Shifts” As Pandemic Burnout Takes Toll October 25, 2021
- Bidenflation Stole Christmas: Consumer Prices Up, Retail Spending Plans Not October 25, 2021
- EXCLUSIVE-Kevin McCarthy: Facebook Employees’ Leftist Narratives ‘Threatened’ by Breitbart Reporting October 25, 2021
- Thousands of NYC Workers March Across Brooklyn Bridge Protesting Vaccine Mandates: ‘F*ck Joe Biden!’ October 25, 2021
- Musk Tweets “Wild $T1mes!” After TSLA Joins ‘Four Commas’ Club October 25, 2021
- Musk Tops $250 Billion Net Worth After TSLA Rockets Past FB As 5th Biggest US Stock October 25, 2021
- Goldman Cut’s China’s 2022 GDP To Just 5.2% October 24, 2021
- ADL Warns: Avoid Culturally Insensitive, Gender-conforming Halloween Costumes October 24, 2021
- New Zealand Prime Minister Admits She Wants to Create Two Classes of Citizens Based on Vaccination Status October 24, 2021
- ‘The Richest He’s Ever Been’: Trump Set To Gain Billions In Net Worth On Moonshot SPAC October 24, 2021
- Washington Post ‘Forced to Admit They Lied’ After Pretending ‘F*ck Joe Biden’ Chant Was ‘Let’s Go, Brandon’ October 24, 2021
- Citigroup Becomes First Wall Street Megabank To Commit To “Racial Audit” October 24, 2021
- 1,663,743 hits