Biden: Georgia needs to ‘smarten up’ to avoid losing business
April 7, 2021 8:40 am
Tags: All-Star Game, Economy, Featured, Georgia, Joe Biden, laws, legislation, MLB, Politics, voter laws
Categories: All-Star Game Economy Featured Georgia Joe Biden JoshWho News laws legislation MLB Politics Saraa Carter voter laws
President Joe Biden praised businesses for opposing new voting laws while telling Georgia and other states to “smarten up.”
Speaking to reporters Tuesday, Biden said “it’s reassuring to see that for-profit operations and businesses are speaking up about how these new Jim Crow laws that are just antithetical to who we are.”
“There’s another side to it too. When they in fact move out of Georgia, people who need help most, people who are making hourly wages, sometimes get hurt the most,” he continued.
Biden then went on to say that he supports and respects businesses’ decisions to protest the new voting legislation.
“I think it’s a very tough decision for a corporation to make or group to make, I respect them when they make that judgment, I support whatever judgment they make. The best way to deal with this is for Georgia and other states to smarten up. Stop it, stop it,” he said.
Biden said last week that he would “strongly support” moving the MLB All-Star Game out of Georgia to protest the new voting laws, joining other corporations condemning the new laws such as Delta Air Lines and Coca-Cola.
Less than two days later, the MLB announced it would relocate the game, citing Georgia’s “restrictions to the ballot box.”
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky) told reporters Tuesday that he does not support corporations taking sides on “incendiary issues” such as the new Georgia legislation.
“I’m not talking about political contributions,” McConnell told reporters in Kentucky. “Most of them contribute to both sides. They have political action committees. That’s fine. It’s legal. It’s appropriate. I support that. I’m talking about taking a position on a highly incendiary issue like this and punishing a community or state because you don’t like a particular law they passed. I just think it’s stupid. … What I’m saying here is I think this is quite stupid.”
McConnell continued, arguing that companies will lose business by choosing sides.
“Republicans drink Coca-Cola, too, and we fly, and we like baseball,” he said. “It’s irritating one hell of a lot of Republican fans.”
Follow Annaliese Levy on Twitter @AnnalieseLevy
- Report: ‘Fragile’ Democrats Face Dire 2022 Prospects October 18, 2021
- One Bank Reveals The Dismal Truth About The $150 Trillion Crusade Against Climate Change October 18, 2021
- State Department Inspector General Will Investigate President Biden’s Botched Afghanistan Pullout October 18, 2021
- Fraternal Uprising: College Students Reject ‘Surveillance State’ Coronavirus Restrictions October 18, 2021
- Colin Powell Died from COVID Booster Shot Complications at age 84— He Was Fully Vaccinated October 18, 2021
- Peter Schiff: Stock Up Now! Inflation Could Get Very Ugly October 18, 2021
- Investors Starting To Realize “Stagflation” Is A Problem October 18, 2021
- Beijing, Moscow, Ankara Push US Out Of Red Sea Dominance October 18, 2021
- WATCH– President Biden Violates Mask Mandate in D.C. October 17, 2021
- 40% Of California State Workers Are Unvaccinated Despite Newsom’s Order October 17, 2021
- Donald Trump Mocks Biden Corruption: ‘Hunter Has Inspired Me to Begin Painting’ October 17, 2021
- China Stuns U.S. Intelligence with Hypersonic Missile Test October 17, 2021
- Taibbi: Yes, Virginia, There Is A Deep State October 17, 2021
- Coal Generation In UK Jumps As Wind Speed Drops October 17, 2021
- David Hogg Rebuked Again, Youth Gun Sports Leagues See “Record-Setting” Participation October 16, 2021
- Report: Cori Bush Defends Defund Police Push While Spending $130,000 on Personal Security, Including Cops October 16, 2021
- Marlow: ‘A Semi-Responsible Media’ Would Constantly Press Buttigieg for any ‘Reasonable Explanation’ for Economic Problems October 16, 2021
- Poll: Joe Biden’s Job Approval Hits New Low at 36 Percent October 16, 2021
- International Space Station Briefly Destabilized After Accidental Russian Rocket Firing October 16, 2021
- Huge Dock Worker Protests In Italy, Fears Of Disruption, As Covid ‘Green Pass’ Takes Effect October 16, 2021
- 1,662,987 hits