BREAKING: Pence defies Trump’s calls to overturn Biden’s victory
January 6, 2021 1:23 pm
Tags: 2020 Election, Donald Trump, election fraud, Elections, Electoral College, Featured, Mike Pence, Nation, Politics
Categories: 2020 Election Donald Trump election fraud Elections Electoral College Featured JoshWho News Mike Pence Nation Politics Saraa Carter
Wednesday afternoon, while President Donald Trump was speaking to supporters in front of the White House, Vice President Mike Pence issued a statement rejecting Trump’s calls for Pence to overturn President-elect Joe Biden‘s 2020 election victory, in a dramatic rebuke of the outgoing president and his dubious claims that widespread election fraud occurred.
In his statement shared to Twitter, filled with rows of paragraphs citing constitutional law and legal precedents, Pence argued that his role as the official who counts the electoral votes is “largely ceremonial.”
Ultimately, he argued that the Electoral Count of 1887 “establishes a clear procedure to address election controversies when they arise during the count of the vote of the Electoral College.”
“It is my considered judgment that my oath to support and defend the Constitution constrains me from claiming unilateral authority to determine which electoral votes should be counted and which should not,” his statement reads.
Pence did, however, still welcome lawmakers to object to the electoral votes, citing his own concerns about alleged irregularities during the contentious 2020 presidential election.
While Trump was speaking at his rally, Pence’s motorcade was en route to Capitol Hill to oversee the tallying of the states’ Electoral College votes. In the lead-up to this day, Trump was urging his second-in-command to overturn the electoral votes, which most legal experts have stated is not part of Pence’s constitutional duty.
Until now, it was unclear what Pence was planning going to do, but the shared view of legal experts pointed to him likely breaking with Trump.
This move by Pence likely puts the nail in the coffin of the planned effort by a dozen GOP senators and roughly one hundred House members to object to the electoral vote tally. Sen. Josh Hawley (Mo.), one of the Republicans spearheading the effort, himself said on Tuesday in an interview with Fox News’ Laura Ingraham that Pence did not have the constitutional authority to carry out Trump’s wish.
You can follow Douglas Braff on Twitter @Douglas_P_Braff.
- When The Levee Breaks… September 20, 2021
- If Only We Could Find A Cure For Trump Derangement Syndrome September 19, 2021
- The Fed Has Liquidated Its Entire Corporate Bond Portfolio September 19, 2021
- Report: Secondary Schools in Afghanistan Open Without Female Students or Teachers September 19, 2021
- U.S., Mexico Begin Removal Flights for Haitian Migrants September 19, 2021
- Report: Beto O’Rourke Eyes Political Comeback in Texas Gubernatorial Race September 19, 2021
- Rickards: No Recovery Until 2045? September 19, 2021
- Kadish: Is It Puppeteers Or Puppets In Control In Washington? September 18, 2021
- Hospital Staff That Decline COVID Vaccine For Religious Reasons Must Attest To Also Swearing Off Tylenol, Tums, & Other Common Meds September 18, 2021
- ‘Justice for J6’: Protesters Call for Due Process for Capitol Attack Detainees September 18, 2021
- Mexican State Cops Stop Buses with Caribbean Migrants Headed for Border, They Kept Walking September 18, 2021
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Venezuelan, Colombian Migrants Cross Border Upstream from Del Rio Migrant Camp September 18, 2021
- Could Biden Nominate Anti-Gun Activist David Chipman As “Gun Czar”? September 16, 2021
- COVID Hysteria Could Destroy A Generation September 16, 2021
- The Illusion Of Getting Rich While Producing Nothing September 16, 2021
- Report: John Durham Will Seek Indictment of Democratic Lawyer for Allegedly Lying to the F.B.I. During ‘Russian Collusion’ Investigation September 16, 2021
- Watch: Joe Biden Forgets Who He’s Talking To — Calls Australian PM ‘That Fella Down Under’ September 16, 2021
- Major UK Fertilizer Plants Shuttered Due To Skyrocketing Natural Gas Prices September 16, 2021
- Canada’s Conservatives Are Using Soaring Inflation To Help Defeat Trudeau September 15, 2021
- Mary Trump: Donald’s Entire Cabinet in ‘Dereliction of Its Duty’ for Not Invoking 25th Amendment September 15, 2021
- 1,659,908 hits