California to Require Free Period Products in Schools for ‘Menstrual Equity’
October 10, 2021 4:55 pm
Tags: California, Cristina Garcia, Education, Equity, Gavin Newsom, menstrual equity, Politics, Pre-Viral
Categories: Breitbart News California Cristina Garcia Education Equity Gavin Newsom JoshWho News menstrual equity Politics Pre-Viral
Period products will be available free inside public schools in California beginning next school year under legislation signed into law on Friday.
The Washington Post reported Sunday:
Public schools with students in grades 6 to 12, community colleges and the California State University System — a network of 23 campuses with more than 485,00 students — will be required to provide free period products in restrooms starting in the 2022-23 academic year. The legislation, named the Menstrual Equity for All Act, was introduced by Cristina Garcia (D), a member of California’s state assembly, and signed into law by Gov. Gavin Newsom (D).
The law is the most recent move toward “menstrual equity” in America’s most populous state.
“This year it also eliminated a tax on menstrual products (also led by Garcia), which Garcia said in a statement costs Californians more than $20 million annually,” the Post article read.
Free period items are already required to be in low-income schools because of 2017 legislation introduced by Garcia, who describes herself as the “Period Princess.”
In a social media post on Friday, Garcia wrote, “Can’t believe CA is the first state… 1 down, 49 to go. Challenging everyone to ensure products are as readily available as toilet paper. It’s 2021, time to catch up across the nation #MenstrualEquity”:
Can’t believe CA is the first state… 1 down, 49 to go. Challenging everyone to ensure products are as readily available as toilet paper. It’s 2021, time to catch up across the nation #MenstrualEquity @KTLA https://t.co/KSFGgsuqgE
— Cristina Garcia (@AsmGarcia) October 9, 2021
According to Garcia, offering period products for free in schools would “alleviate the anxiety of trying to find a product,” erasing a possible distraction and barrier to education for students menstruating.
“Just as toilet paper and paper towels are provided in virtually every public bathroom, so should menstrual products,” she asserted. “It is time we recognize and respond to the biology of half the population by prioritizing free access to menstrual products, and eliminating all barriers to them.”
Last year, Scotland became the first country to pass legislation making women’s menstrual products free in public facilities across the nation.
In 2019, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) demanded feminine hygiene products be put in men’s restrooms to alleviate what it claimed was “menstruation-related discrimination” against transgender and “non-binary” people.
We don’t need to erase trans or non-binary people to show that barriers to menstrual equity, such as the tax on menstrual products, are unconstitutional sex discrimination.
Our discussion of the tampon tax must include every person who menstruates.https://t.co/surqfIcK1e
— ACLU (@ACLU) December 18, 2019
“The goal, the ACLU claims, is to achieve ‘menstrual equity,’ whereby menstrual products are available to all, including biological women who claim to be men and use men’s rest rooms,” Breitbart News reported.
- Report: ‘Fragile’ Democrats Face Dire 2022 Prospects October 18, 2021
- One Bank Reveals The Dismal Truth About The $150 Trillion Crusade Against Climate Change October 18, 2021
- State Department Inspector General Will Investigate President Biden’s Botched Afghanistan Pullout October 18, 2021
- Fraternal Uprising: College Students Reject ‘Surveillance State’ Coronavirus Restrictions October 18, 2021
- Colin Powell Died from COVID Booster Shot Complications at age 84— He Was Fully Vaccinated October 18, 2021
- Peter Schiff: Stock Up Now! Inflation Could Get Very Ugly October 18, 2021
- Investors Starting To Realize “Stagflation” Is A Problem October 18, 2021
- Beijing, Moscow, Ankara Push US Out Of Red Sea Dominance October 18, 2021
- WATCH– President Biden Violates Mask Mandate in D.C. October 17, 2021
- 40% Of California State Workers Are Unvaccinated Despite Newsom’s Order October 17, 2021
- Donald Trump Mocks Biden Corruption: ‘Hunter Has Inspired Me to Begin Painting’ October 17, 2021
- China Stuns U.S. Intelligence with Hypersonic Missile Test October 17, 2021
- Taibbi: Yes, Virginia, There Is A Deep State October 17, 2021
- Coal Generation In UK Jumps As Wind Speed Drops October 17, 2021
- David Hogg Rebuked Again, Youth Gun Sports Leagues See “Record-Setting” Participation October 16, 2021
- Report: Cori Bush Defends Defund Police Push While Spending $130,000 on Personal Security, Including Cops October 16, 2021
- Marlow: ‘A Semi-Responsible Media’ Would Constantly Press Buttigieg for any ‘Reasonable Explanation’ for Economic Problems October 16, 2021
- Poll: Joe Biden’s Job Approval Hits New Low at 36 Percent October 16, 2021
- International Space Station Briefly Destabilized After Accidental Russian Rocket Firing October 16, 2021
- Huge Dock Worker Protests In Italy, Fears Of Disruption, As Covid ‘Green Pass’ Takes Effect October 16, 2021
- 1,662,999 hits