CENTCOM Investigating Reports of Civilian Deaths in Kabul ‘Defensive Strike’
August 29, 2021 11:40 pm
Tags: Afghanistan, Drone Strike, Israel / Middle East, National Security, Politics, Terror, U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM)
Categories: Afghanistan Breitbart News Drone Strike Israel / Middle East JoshWho News National Security Politics Terror U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM)
U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) issued a statement on Sunday indicating that it would investigate reports of civilian deaths that, it said, may have resulted from secondary explosions after an airstrike took out a would-be suicide bomber.
As Breitbart News and other agencies reported earlier on Sunday, an American drone targeted a car that was said to be carrying multiple suicide bombers to the international airport in Kabul. U.S. Navy Capt. Bill Urban, a spokesman for CENTCOM, said: “Significant secondary explosions from the vehicle indicated the presence of a substantial amount of explosive material.”
There were unconfirmed reports from Kabul that there were multiple civilians killed — possibly as a result of the hidden explosives in the vehicle, rather than a direct hit from the airstrike itself.
In a statement, CENTCOM said:
We are aware of reports of civilian casualties following our strike on a vehicle in Kabul today.
We are still assessing the results of this strike, which we know disrupted an imminent ISIS-K threat to the airport. We know that there were substantial and powerful subsequent explosions resulting from the destruction of the vehicle, indicating a large amount of explosive material inside that may have caused additional casualties. It is unclear what may have happened, and we are investigating further.
We would be deeply saddened by any potential loss of innocent life.
Ths statement was attributed to Capt. Urban.
Joel B. Pollak is Senior Editor-at-Large at Breitbart News and the host of Breitbart News Sunday on Sirius XM Patriot on Sunday evenings from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. ET (4 p.m. to 7 p.m. PT). He is the author of the recent e-book, Neither Free nor Fair: The 2020 U.S. Presidential Election. His recent book, RED NOVEMBER, tells the story of the 2020 Democratic presidential primary from a conservative perspective. He is a winner of the 2018 Robert Novak Journalism Alumni Fellowship. Follow him on Twitter at @joelpollak.
- David Hogg Rebuked Again, Youth Gun Sports Leagues See “Record-Setting” Participation October 16, 2021
- Report: Cori Bush Defends Defund Police Push While Spending $130,000 on Personal Security, Including Cops October 16, 2021
- Marlow: ‘A Semi-Responsible Media’ Would Constantly Press Buttigieg for any ‘Reasonable Explanation’ for Economic Problems October 16, 2021
- Poll: Joe Biden’s Job Approval Hits New Low at 36 Percent October 16, 2021
- International Space Station Briefly Destabilized After Accidental Russian Rocket Firing October 16, 2021
- Huge Dock Worker Protests In Italy, Fears Of Disruption, As Covid ‘Green Pass’ Takes Effect October 16, 2021
- Bovard: When Barack Obama Got Away With Murder October 15, 2021
- Rivera on Unvaccinated Kyrie Irving: ‘I Am Mad’ — ‘He’s Hurting Everybody’ October 15, 2021
- Joe Biden Wants Justice Department to Prosecute Trump Loyalists Defying Congressional Subpoenas October 15, 2021
- Flooding In West China Destroys Agricultural Production October 15, 2021
- Report: Hunter Biden Said Offer from Powerful Chinese Investor Had ‘Everything to Do with My Last Name’ October 15, 2021
- Bill Clinton Hospitalized For Infection That Spread To Bloodstream October 15, 2021
- Cryptos Surge On News SEC “Set To Allow” Bitcoin Futures ETF October 15, 2021
- Treasury Official Warns Using Stablecoins For Payments “Raises A Whole Set Of Issues” October 14, 2021
- Biden’s Court-packing Commission Blames Republicans for Polarization over Judiciary October 14, 2021
- Poll: Americans Are Increasingly Wary of Government Overreach Under Biden October 14, 2021
- Justice Breyer Calls SCOTUS ‘Fallible’ as Leftists Seek to Pack the Court October 14, 2021
- Putin: $100 Oil Is “Quite Possible” October 14, 2021
- The Great New Normal Purge October 13, 2021
- Trump: ‘Republicans Will Not Be Voting’ in Future Elections Unless 2020 Fraud Resolved October 13, 2021
- 1,662,708 hits