Congress Clears 2-Day Spending Extension to Finalize Stimulus Deal
December 18, 2020 9:25 pm
Tags: and Economic Security Act (2020), biden, Coronavirus Aid, Democratic Party, Federal Reserve System, Joseph R Jr, Patrick J, Relief, Republican Party, Senate, Stimulus (Economic), Toomey, United States Economy, United States Politics and Government
Categories: Biden, Joseph R Jr Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (2020) Democratic Party Federal Reserve System JoshWho News nyt Republican Party Senate Stimulus (Economic) Toomey, Patrick J United States Economy United States Politics and Government US US News
Negotiators worked into Friday night to put the finishing touches on key details of the stimulus compromise, continuing negotiations on how long unemployment benefits should last, how to distribute federal relief for small businesses and the extension of a federal eviction moratorium. The plan was expected to revive the Paycheck Protection Program, a loan program for struggling small businesses.
With Republicans insisting on keeping the overall cost of the measure below $1 trillion, it was substantially narrower than the $2.2 trillion stimulus law enacted in March, when the toll of the pandemic was just becoming clear. It fell well short of the scope of the recovery measure that most economists believe is necessary, and will guarantee that Mr. Biden will have to move quickly on another aid package, something he has already signaled will be his first priority.
The $600 stimulus payments and $300-per-week enhanced federal unemployment benefit amounted to half of the amounts authorized back then.
On the Senate floor, Senators Josh Hawley, Republican of Missouri, and Bernie Sanders, independent of Vermont, mounted renewed attempts to approve $1,200 direct payments to Americans.
Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, the Democratic leader, also endorsed the effort to send another round of $1,200 direct payments.
Senator Ron Johnson, Republican of Wisconsin, blocked both attempts, calling it “a shotgun approach” at one point on Friday and criticizing the broader effort to send another round of taxpayer funds to prop up the sputtering economy.
“We will not have learned the lessons from our very hurried, very rushed, very massive earlier relief packages,” Mr. Johnson said on the Senate floor. “We’re just going to do more of the same, another trillion dollars.”
Reporting was contributed by Jeanna Smialek, Nicholas Fandos, Luke Broadwater and Jim Tankersley.
- Victor Davis Hanson: The Afghanistization Of America September 20, 2021
- Cuba Becomes First Country To Mass Vaccinate Children As Young As 2-Years Old September 20, 2021
- Ron DeSantis and 25 Republican Governors Demand Southern Border Crisis Meeting with Biden September 20, 2021
- White House: Illegal Aliens Do Not Need Proof of Vaccination Because ‘Not Intending to Stay’ September 20, 2021
- DHS Steps Up Removal Flights for Haitian Migrants at Border Bridge Camp September 20, 2021
- When The Levee Breaks… September 20, 2021
- If Only We Could Find A Cure For Trump Derangement Syndrome September 19, 2021
- The Fed Has Liquidated Its Entire Corporate Bond Portfolio September 19, 2021
- Report: Secondary Schools in Afghanistan Open Without Female Students or Teachers September 19, 2021
- U.S., Mexico Begin Removal Flights for Haitian Migrants September 19, 2021
- Report: Beto O’Rourke Eyes Political Comeback in Texas Gubernatorial Race September 19, 2021
- Rickards: No Recovery Until 2045? September 19, 2021
- Kadish: Is It Puppeteers Or Puppets In Control In Washington? September 18, 2021
- Hospital Staff That Decline COVID Vaccine For Religious Reasons Must Attest To Also Swearing Off Tylenol, Tums, & Other Common Meds September 18, 2021
- ‘Justice for J6’: Protesters Call for Due Process for Capitol Attack Detainees September 18, 2021
- Mexican State Cops Stop Buses with Caribbean Migrants Headed for Border, They Kept Walking September 18, 2021
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Venezuelan, Colombian Migrants Cross Border Upstream from Del Rio Migrant Camp September 18, 2021
- Could Biden Nominate Anti-Gun Activist David Chipman As “Gun Czar”? September 16, 2021
- COVID Hysteria Could Destroy A Generation September 16, 2021
- The Illusion Of Getting Rich While Producing Nothing September 16, 2021
- 1,659,973 hits