Daughter of Pepé Le Pew creator defends the character against rape culture allegations
March 9, 2021 10:54 am
Tags: chuck jones, Featured, linda jones, looney tunes, New York Times, Op Ed, pepe le pew, TMZ
Categories: chuck jones Featured JoshWho News linda jones looney tunes New York Times Op Ed pepe le pew Saraa Carter TMZ
Pepé Le Pew, a Looney Tunes character, has recently been retired by Warner Bros after a New York Times op-ed claimed the character “normalized rape culture.”
However, the cartoonist’s daughter, Linda Jones, has come out in support of her father’s work in an interview with TMZ.
Chuck Jones’ daughter, Linda, told TMZ that she does not agree with the allegations of NYT columnist Charles M. Blow.
Linda said that the character was never meant to be portrayed as predatory or inspire or encourage anyone to rape or harass people.
However, Linda did admit that Pepé’s approach towards Penelope Pussycat is not acceptable by today’s standards. She explained that viewers who watched the show in the ’50s, ’60s and ’70s did not think it normalized rape culture.
Perhaps that was wrong or ignorant of audiences back then, she considers, but that just wasn’t the vibe, nor the intention, she explains to TMZ. Linda said Pepé’s purpose was purely comedic.
Pepé will not be appearing in in the upcoming LeBron James film “Space Jam 2,” the sequel to the 90s Looney Tunes movie starring Michael Jordan.
Linda told TMZ that it’s Warner Bros’ decision to remove Pepé from the film, but suggested a rebrand to help Pepé to fit with today’s standards.
Linda would like to keep the spirit of her father alive by rebranding Pepé as a perpetual job-seeker who keeps getting rejected, but constantly changes up his routine thinking he’s the perfect candidate.
Follow Annaliese Levy on Twitter @AnnalieseLevy
- Nearly 40% Of All Illinois COVID Deaths In The Last Month Are Breakthroughs. What Gives? January 27, 2022
- Will The UK’s Return-To-Normal Force Biden’s Hand? January 27, 2022
- Putin Holds Economic-Development Meeting With Italian Executives Amid Rising Tensions With West January 27, 2022
- Schweizer: Pelosi Family ‘Has Done a Lot of Business in China Since the COVID Outbreak’ — Won’t Allow Hearings on COVID Origins January 26, 2022
- China Uses George W. Bush to Promote Genocide Olympics January 26, 2022
- Doctor’s Organization Has Treated Over 150,000 COVID-19 Patients With 99.99% Survival January 26, 2022
- REVEALED: Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s Husband Partly Owned a Chinese Company That Sold Spyware to U.S. Military January 26, 2022
- Tesla Tumbles Despite Across The Board Beat After Warning Supply-Chain Constraints Seen Through 2022 January 26, 2022
- Nomura: Here Comes ‘The Big One’ January 26, 2022
- Welsh Businesses Demand Vaccine Passport Exemptions After Government Fails To Prove They Work January 26, 2022
- Watch: Mass Release Of ‘Single Adult Migrants’ Into Small Texas Town January 25, 2022
- Marsha Blackburn on ‘Red-Handed’: ‘Communist China Loves Biden’ January 25, 2022
- Biden Family Planned to Share Office Space with Company Employing ‘F**king Spy Chief of China’ January 25, 2022
- Kid Rock Rips Biden, Fauci in ‘We the People’ Anthem: ‘Let’s Go Brandon’ January 25, 2022
- ‘Deja Vu All Over Again’ As Stocks Dump’n’Pump Again Ahead Of Fed January 25, 2022
- IMF Slashes Global GDP Growth To 4.4% In 2022, Warns On Aggressive Fed Tightening January 25, 2022
- WHO Chief Says Europe Moving Towards Pandemic “Endgame” January 25, 2022
- Pinkerton: Biden by the Numbers – the Data of Failure January 24, 2022
- New Study Finds CFA Charterholders Are Actually Worse At Investing January 24, 2022
- ‘Red-Handed’ Reveals Chinese Donations to University of Pennsylvania Soared After Biden Center Announcement January 24, 2022
- 1,674,384 hits