Daughter of Pepé Le Pew creator defends the character against rape culture allegations
March 9, 2021 10:54 am
Tags: chuck jones, Featured, linda jones, looney tunes, New York Times, Op Ed, pepe le pew, TMZ
Categories: chuck jones Featured JoshWho News linda jones looney tunes New York Times Op Ed pepe le pew Saraa Carter TMZ
Pepé Le Pew, a Looney Tunes character, has recently been retired by Warner Bros after a New York Times op-ed claimed the character “normalized rape culture.”
However, the cartoonist’s daughter, Linda Jones, has come out in support of her father’s work in an interview with TMZ.
Chuck Jones’ daughter, Linda, told TMZ that she does not agree with the allegations of NYT columnist Charles M. Blow.
Linda said that the character was never meant to be portrayed as predatory or inspire or encourage anyone to rape or harass people.
However, Linda did admit that Pepé’s approach towards Penelope Pussycat is not acceptable by today’s standards. She explained that viewers who watched the show in the ’50s, ’60s and ’70s did not think it normalized rape culture.
Perhaps that was wrong or ignorant of audiences back then, she considers, but that just wasn’t the vibe, nor the intention, she explains to TMZ. Linda said Pepé’s purpose was purely comedic.
Pepé will not be appearing in in the upcoming LeBron James film “Space Jam 2,” the sequel to the 90s Looney Tunes movie starring Michael Jordan.
Linda told TMZ that it’s Warner Bros’ decision to remove Pepé from the film, but suggested a rebrand to help Pepé to fit with today’s standards.
Linda would like to keep the spirit of her father alive by rebranding Pepé as a perpetual job-seeker who keeps getting rejected, but constantly changes up his routine thinking he’s the perfect candidate.
Follow Annaliese Levy on Twitter @AnnalieseLevy
- When The Levee Breaks… September 20, 2021
- If Only We Could Find A Cure For Trump Derangement Syndrome September 19, 2021
- The Fed Has Liquidated Its Entire Corporate Bond Portfolio September 19, 2021
- Report: Secondary Schools in Afghanistan Open Without Female Students or Teachers September 19, 2021
- U.S., Mexico Begin Removal Flights for Haitian Migrants September 19, 2021
- Report: Beto O’Rourke Eyes Political Comeback in Texas Gubernatorial Race September 19, 2021
- Rickards: No Recovery Until 2045? September 19, 2021
- Kadish: Is It Puppeteers Or Puppets In Control In Washington? September 18, 2021
- Hospital Staff That Decline COVID Vaccine For Religious Reasons Must Attest To Also Swearing Off Tylenol, Tums, & Other Common Meds September 18, 2021
- ‘Justice for J6’: Protesters Call for Due Process for Capitol Attack Detainees September 18, 2021
- Mexican State Cops Stop Buses with Caribbean Migrants Headed for Border, They Kept Walking September 18, 2021
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Venezuelan, Colombian Migrants Cross Border Upstream from Del Rio Migrant Camp September 18, 2021
- Could Biden Nominate Anti-Gun Activist David Chipman As “Gun Czar”? September 16, 2021
- COVID Hysteria Could Destroy A Generation September 16, 2021
- The Illusion Of Getting Rich While Producing Nothing September 16, 2021
- Report: John Durham Will Seek Indictment of Democratic Lawyer for Allegedly Lying to the F.B.I. During ‘Russian Collusion’ Investigation September 16, 2021
- Watch: Joe Biden Forgets Who He’s Talking To — Calls Australian PM ‘That Fella Down Under’ September 16, 2021
- Major UK Fertilizer Plants Shuttered Due To Skyrocketing Natural Gas Prices September 16, 2021
- Canada’s Conservatives Are Using Soaring Inflation To Help Defeat Trudeau September 15, 2021
- Mary Trump: Donald’s Entire Cabinet in ‘Dereliction of Its Duty’ for Not Invoking 25th Amendment September 15, 2021
- 1,659,908 hits