Democrat Kyrsten Sinema Defends the Filibuster Again As Pressure Mounts
April 6, 2021 4:19 pm
Tags: Chuck Schumer, Joe Biden, Joe Manchin, Kyrsten Sinema, Midterm Election, Nancy Pelosi, Politics, Senate, Wall Street Journal
Categories: Breitbart News Chuck Schumer Joe Biden Joe Manchin JoshWho News Kyrsten Sinema Midterm Election Nancy Pelosi Politics Senate Wall Street Journal
Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) has surfaced as one of the only Democrat defenders of the filibuster, having to reject attempts from her own party to persuade her in eliminating the 60-vote requirement in order to advance most pieces of legislation.
Sinema joined with another Democrat, Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV), to block their party from eliminating the filibuster. Recently Breitbart News reported, Manchin conveyed Democrats do not have enough votes in the Senate to pass President Joe Biden’s $2.25 trillion infrastructure proposal due to six or seven Democrats who oppose raising the corporate tax rate to 28 percent.
For this reason, pressure has started to build from their party, partly due to Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) wanting to ram through bills that have come from the far-left wing of their party.
The Democrats in the House moved quickly to advance controversial legislation as soon as Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) regained her speakership after the 2018 midterms.
Democrats have already passed bills on voting rights, immigration, and gun control during the current House session. The bills have started to line up on Schumer’s desk, but he is waiting to make sure there are enough votes — or, if not, attempt to change the Senate rules — in order for him to be able to advance legislation with as little consensus as possible using a vice presidential tie breaker.
Sinema told the Wall Street Journal, “the problem is senators’ behavior, not the chamber’s rules.”
“When you have a place that’s broken and not working, and many would say that’s the Senate today, I don’t think the solution is to erode the rules,” Sinema said in an interview in Phoenix after having two events with constituents. “I think the solution is for senators to change their behavior and begin to work together, which is what the country wants us to do.”
As was recently reported, the Senate parliamentarian authorized Schumer to once again use reconciliation — a procedure that allows the Senate to bypass the 60-vote threshold in favor of a bare majority to pass bills — in order to ram through far-left legislation and give Democrats and President Joe Biden an agenda win.
“The Parliamentarian has advised that a revised budget resolution may contain budget reconciliation instructions,” Schumer’s office said Monday. “This confirms the Leader’s interpretation of the Budget Act and allows Democrats additional tools to improve the lives of Americans if Republican obstruction continues.”
- Bill Maher Rips Woke Mentality Now Driving Olympic Games: “Belongs In Stalin’s Russia” August 1, 2021
- Brandon Smith: Why Are Globalists And Governments So Desperate For 100% Vaccination Rates? July 31, 2021
- Gavin Newsom: Democrats will face ‘Profound Consequences Nationwide’ in 2022 if Recall Successful July 31, 2021
- Larry Elder Rallies Beach Crowd in L.A. to Recall Gov. Gavin Newsom July 31, 2021
- Wildfires Are Coming For Wine, Weed, And Christmas July 31, 2021
- Carney: Fear of the Delta Variant Threatens to Stop Schools from Opening July 31, 2021
- Goldman Flow Desk Weekly Recap July 31, 2021
- Germany Blames Iran For Stalling Nuclear Talks: “Moving Further & Further Away” July 31, 2021
- Schlichter: Imagine If They Hadn’t Lied To Us For The Last 18 Months July 30, 2021
- Western Governors Call For Federal Aid To Fight Wildfires During Meeting With Biden July 30, 2021
- Biden Presses Schools to Hold ‘Pop-Up Clinics’ to Vaccinate Children 12 and Up July 30, 2021
- Joe Biden: Expect More Coronavirus Restrictions ‘In All Probability’ July 30, 2021
- CDC Director: ‘We’re Looking Into’ Federal Vaccine Mandate July 30, 2021
- Olympic Gold… Is Silver July 30, 2021
- Blue Glacier Publishes ‘Red Team’ Report on Cybercrime and Anti-Vaccination Militancy July 30, 2021
- Arkansas Judge Orders Unemployment Stimmies To Continue Despite 40,000 Vacant Jobs July 30, 2021
- 1.6 Billion Disposable Masks Entered Our Oceans In 2020 July 30, 2021
- How US And Russian Nuclear Arsenals Evolved July 29, 2021
- CNN’s Lemon: Time to Blame ‘Selfish’ Unvaccinated — Can’t Be Allowed in Offices, Gyms, Airplanes July 29, 2021
- GOP Rep. Nunes: ‘Pelosi Has Managed to Completely Burn Down This Institution’ July 29, 2021
- 1,653,347 hits