Disengagement With Chinese Regime Will Continue Globally: Mike Pompeo
February 27, 2021 8:58 pm
Tags: China, China-US News, CPAC 2021, Donald Trump, Engagement Strategy, Executive Branch, Mike Pompeo, Politics, Republicans, US
Categories: China China-US News CPAC 2021 Donald Trump Engagement Strategy Epoch Times Executive Branch JoshWho News Mike Pompeo Politics Republicans US
“[T[here will be no doubt that there will be disengagement—decoupling, some have called it—that will almost certainly have to take place,” he said during an interview with The Epoch Times’s American Thought Leaders at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Orlando, Florida.
Pompeo said that the longstanding strategic engagement approach toward the Chinese regime, which was established during the Richard Nixon era by his Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, has failed.
He believes that countries including the United States will move forward to abandon this engagement approach.
“They’re going to do some of them differently,” he said. “For 40 plus years, Democrat or Republican, there was this idea of engaging with China and things will get better. We saw that the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) took advantage of that and trashed American jobs and destroyed so much of what we care about so deeply here in the United States.”
During his speech earlier the day, Trump’s top diplomat touted the success of Trump’s “America First” foreign policy achievements, including a “maximum pressure” approach to Iran, moving the U.S. Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem, de-escalation of tensions with North Korea, and the historical Abraham Accords that offer a new path to peace in the Middle East.
The Trump administration succeeded in a wide range of foreign policy areas that others thought were impossible, Pompeo stated.
“We were told you can’t move the United States Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem: ‘There’d be a war.’ Well, we did, and there was not a war,” he told the audience.
During his four years in the White House, Trump’s approach toward the CCP acted as a wake-up call for Western countries. Though it’s unclear if the Biden administration and other western countries will fully follow Trump’s approach, many countries are expected to adopt it partly.
President Joe Biden said China is America’s “most serious competitor” but also stated that his administration is willing to work with China’s ruling CCP.
“But we’re ready to work with Beijing when it’s in America’s interest to do so,” he added, suggesting a policy of greater engagement.
Samuel Allegri and Tom Ozimek contributed to the report.
- GMRS is the New CB Public 2-way Radio Best Alternative communication for when SHTF January 18, 2022
- Futures Tumble As Global Bond Yields Surge January 18, 2022
- Dr. Peter McCullough: Official COVID “Narrative Has Crumbled” January 17, 2022
- Luke Philip Robinson Removed from FBI Most Wanted #343 Jan 6th Fed January 17, 2022
- Civil Rights Icon Barbara Jordan’s Legacy, 26 Years Later: Protecting Americans from Mass Immigration January 17, 2022
- NBA Owner Who Said ‘Nobody Cares’ About Uyghurs Is Democrat Mega-donor January 17, 2022
- Report: Black Americans Fleeing Democrat-Controlled New York, California January 17, 2022
- WEF’s Schwab Gives China’s Xi Propaganda Platform Against “Hegemonic Bullying… Cold War Mentality” January 17, 2022
- Peloton Will Hit New Customers With Hundreds Of Dollars In Fees For Bikes, Citing Inflation Woes January 17, 2022
- What Drives The Price Of Gold? Part 2 January 17, 2022
- Report: Ted Lieu Vacationed in Bermuda During ‘Build Back Better’ Vote January 16, 2022
- State-Backed Doping Strategy Imposed On Chinese Athletes, Former Doctor’s New Book To Release Before Beijing Olympics January 16, 2022
- U.K. Police Arrest Two Teens in Connection to Texas Synagogue Hostage-Taking January 16, 2022
- Texas Synagogue Terrorist’s Brother Says He ‘Was Suffering from Mental Health Issues’ January 16, 2022
- American Students Organize Classroom “Walk Outs” To Demand Return To Remote Learning January 16, 2022
- Utah’s Largest Newspaper Calls For Unvaxxed To Endure Draconian Lockdowns Enforced By National Guard January 16, 2022
- Europe’s Spendthrifts Are Stuck In Irreversible Debt-Traps January 16, 2022
- For Leftists, Your Freedom Is Their Misery – Your Slavery Is Their Joy January 15, 2022
- Huge Crowd Attends Trump Rally in Arizona: ‘Nobody’s Ever Had a Movement Like This’ January 15, 2022
- EXCLUSIVE — Trump Will Call on Republicans to Increase ICE Officers to ‘Find, Detain, and Deport’ Every Illegal Alien Biden Let into USA January 15, 2022
- 1,673,412 hits