Edward Snowden Vindicated: European Court of Human Rights Rules Mass Spying Is ‘Completely Illegal’
In a historic ruling, the European Court of Human Rights has declared that mass surveillance by Britain’s GCHQ spy agency was completely illegal, vindicating whistleblower Edward Snowden, and prompting calls for him to be pardoned.
The court noted that there were “fundamental deficiencies” in the GCHQ’s interception of communications, namely that no politician or entity had authorised the data gathering, that search terms GCHQ used to trawl through the data had not been included in a warrant application, and that individual names, email addresses, and phone numbers had not been authorized to be spied on by the UK government.
Snowden has previously blown the whistle on how GCHQ was scouring all online and telephone data in the UK via a program code named ‘Tempora’.
Summit.news reports: Former editor of The Guardian, Alan Rusbridger, who had to destroy hard drives given to him by Snowden in 2013 before the government seized them, lauded the ruling:
Snowden responded, saying that he couldn’t have done what he did without journalists and human rights lawyers:
The ruling led to new calls for Snowden, still hiding out in Moscow, as well as Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, languishing in prison, to be given their lives back:
The GCHQ continues to spy on British citizens, as we reported last November it has been monitoring the movement of British people minute by minute to check if they are complying with government restrictions.
According to reports, the spy agency embedded a ‘cell’ within Number 10 Downing Street in order to provide Prime Minister Boris Johnson with real time information pertaining to the public’s movements.
- Fed Doubles Reverse Repo Counterparty Limit To $160 Billion September 22, 2021
- Wuhan Scientists Planned to Release Coronaviruses Into Bat Caves 18 Months Before Pandemic – CONFIRMED September 22, 2021
- Sens McConnell, Shelby Offer Short-Term Govt. Funding Bill Without Debt Ceiling September 22, 2021
- ‘Nasser Was Not An Outlier’ – Exposing The FBI’s Incurable Rot September 21, 2021
- Far-Left Democrats Force Funds for Israel’s Iron Dome Out of Funding Bill September 21, 2021
- Joe Biden Claims He Rebuilt Alliances in Europe Despite Infuriating France September 21, 2021
- Chuck Schumer Blames ‘Hateful and Xenophobic’ Trump Policies for Biden Border Chaos September 21, 2021
- BTFD Arrives: Futures Rebound, Europe Surges While Asia Slumps On Evergrande Fears September 21, 2021
- Victor Davis Hanson: The Afghanistization Of America September 20, 2021
- Cuba Becomes First Country To Mass Vaccinate Children As Young As 2-Years Old September 20, 2021
- Ron DeSantis and 25 Republican Governors Demand Southern Border Crisis Meeting with Biden September 20, 2021
- White House: Illegal Aliens Do Not Need Proof of Vaccination Because ‘Not Intending to Stay’ September 20, 2021
- DHS Steps Up Removal Flights for Haitian Migrants at Border Bridge Camp September 20, 2021
- When The Levee Breaks… September 20, 2021
- If Only We Could Find A Cure For Trump Derangement Syndrome September 19, 2021
- The Fed Has Liquidated Its Entire Corporate Bond Portfolio September 19, 2021
- Report: Secondary Schools in Afghanistan Open Without Female Students or Teachers September 19, 2021
- U.S., Mexico Begin Removal Flights for Haitian Migrants September 19, 2021
- Report: Beto O’Rourke Eyes Political Comeback in Texas Gubernatorial Race September 19, 2021
- Rickards: No Recovery Until 2045? September 19, 2021
- 1,660,146 hits