Exclusive: Despite Facebook Bias, Breitbart News Destroys Establishment Media on Platform
August 5, 2021 11:45 pm
Tags: Breitbart News, Facebook, Free Speech Online, Huffington Post, Mark Zuckerberg, Masters of the Universe, Media, New York Times, Politics, Tech, Washington Post
Categories: Breitbart News Facebook Free Speech Online Huffington Post JoshWho News Mark Zuckerberg Masters of the Universe Media New York Times Politics Tech Washington Post
Despite the presence of a range of leftist “fact-checkers” with the power to suppress posts on the platform and open censorship of conservative news stories by Facebook, Breitbart News is demolishing its establishment foes on Facebook.
Facebook has an established track record of censoring conservative media. It censored the New York Post twice, first for the Hunter Biden laptop story and then for a negative story about a Black Lives Matter co-founder. It censored Tucker Carlson’s page, reducing the Fox News host’s reach on the platform little more than a month before the 2020 election. It censored the Wall Street Journal over an op-ed on coronavirus.
And it censored Breitbart News — for a live video of a press conference.
Despite this demonstrable bias, over the last three months, the official Breitbart News page on Facebook generated nearly 40 million interactions — more than the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, and HuffPo combined.
Breitbart News’ interaction rate of 39.9 million towers over far-left competitors like Vox, which totaled fewer than one million in the same period.
The rankings of some third-party analytics services, like NewsWhip, sometimes give Breitbart News a lower ranking than the above, due to the fact that it does not include native videos and photos in its calculations, an area where Breitbart outperforms its competitors.
Although Facebook has included Breitbart News in a 200-strong list of approved media outlets (most of which are establishment or left-leaning), Breitbart still faces an uneven playing field on the platform due to the presence of multiple left-leaning third-party “fact-checkers” that have the power to suppress publishers.
These “fact-checkers” include direct competitors of Breitbart News like USA Today, which suppressed a Breitbart News post on Facebook-owned Instagram in June 2020. These fact-checkers often decline to target posts from Breitbart’s competitors — for example, when HuffPo published disinformation about President Donald Trump profiting from a drug company’s coronavirus treatment, it was not fact-checked at all — not even with an “additional context” fact-check, the least severe kind.
Despite this advantage, HuffPo’s engagement fails to come anywhere near Breitbart News. Far-left media is failing on Facebook despite the advantage of biased fact-checkers (even Facebook VP Nick Clegg admits that fact-checkers pursue their own political agenda).
As to how much worse the establishment, left-wing media would be faring on Facebook if so many prominent conservatives had not been banned from the platform — we can only guess.
Allum Bokhari is the senior technology correspondent at Breitbart News. He is the author of #DELETED: Big Tech’s Battle to Erase the Trump Movement and Steal The Election.
- Nearly 40% Of All Illinois COVID Deaths In The Last Month Are Breakthroughs. What Gives? January 27, 2022
- Will The UK’s Return-To-Normal Force Biden’s Hand? January 27, 2022
- Putin Holds Economic-Development Meeting With Italian Executives Amid Rising Tensions With West January 27, 2022
- Schweizer: Pelosi Family ‘Has Done a Lot of Business in China Since the COVID Outbreak’ — Won’t Allow Hearings on COVID Origins January 26, 2022
- China Uses George W. Bush to Promote Genocide Olympics January 26, 2022
- Doctor’s Organization Has Treated Over 150,000 COVID-19 Patients With 99.99% Survival January 26, 2022
- REVEALED: Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s Husband Partly Owned a Chinese Company That Sold Spyware to U.S. Military January 26, 2022
- Tesla Tumbles Despite Across The Board Beat After Warning Supply-Chain Constraints Seen Through 2022 January 26, 2022
- Nomura: Here Comes ‘The Big One’ January 26, 2022
- Welsh Businesses Demand Vaccine Passport Exemptions After Government Fails To Prove They Work January 26, 2022
- Watch: Mass Release Of ‘Single Adult Migrants’ Into Small Texas Town January 25, 2022
- Marsha Blackburn on ‘Red-Handed’: ‘Communist China Loves Biden’ January 25, 2022
- Biden Family Planned to Share Office Space with Company Employing ‘F**king Spy Chief of China’ January 25, 2022
- Kid Rock Rips Biden, Fauci in ‘We the People’ Anthem: ‘Let’s Go Brandon’ January 25, 2022
- ‘Deja Vu All Over Again’ As Stocks Dump’n’Pump Again Ahead Of Fed January 25, 2022
- IMF Slashes Global GDP Growth To 4.4% In 2022, Warns On Aggressive Fed Tightening January 25, 2022
- WHO Chief Says Europe Moving Towards Pandemic “Endgame” January 25, 2022
- Pinkerton: Biden by the Numbers – the Data of Failure January 24, 2022
- New Study Finds CFA Charterholders Are Actually Worse At Investing January 24, 2022
- ‘Red-Handed’ Reveals Chinese Donations to University of Pennsylvania Soared After Biden Center Announcement January 24, 2022
- 1,674,381 hits