FACT CHECK: Did Donald Trump Re-Sign A 1952 Law Making ‘Muslamic Law’ Illegal?
May 30, 2020 5:19 pm
Tags: Check Your Fact, DC Exclusives - Original Reporting, Donald Trump, Islam, law, Politics
Categories: Check Your Fact DC Exclusives - Original Reporting Donald Trump Islam law Politics The Daily Caller
An article shared on Facebook claims President Donald Trump re-signed a 1952 law making “Muslamic law” illegal.
There is no evidence that Trump re-signed such a law. The article was originally published on a satire website.
The internet is replete with misinformation about politicians, with this particular post alleging Trump made many “Muslamic laws” illegal. (RELATED: ‘Down With The USA’ – Meme Purportedly Shows Anti-American Protesters In Michigan)
The post links to an article, which put up the headline “President Trump Re-Signs 1952 Law Making Muslamic Law Illegal Again,” that was published on the website USA News earlier this month. It claims Trump recently “re-signed Senator McCarthy’s landmark law making any kind of Muslamic law illegal in the United States.”
That appears to be a reference to the 1952 McCarran-Walter Act. Also known as the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952, the law “upheld the national origins quota system established by the Immigration Act of 1924,” according to the Office of the Historian at the State Department. Some social media users have also falsely claimed the act banned Muslims from coming to America or running for public office, but the words “Islam” and “Muslim” never appear in the act’s text.
Had Trump re-signed legislation to make “Muslamic law” illegal, it would have been picked up by major news outlets, yet none have reported on it, and there is no record of such a law in the Library of Congress.
The article appears to have copied nearly word-for-word from an article on Bustatroll.org, a parody news website that describes itself as part of a network that publishes “parody, satire, and tomfoolery.” Yet, while Bustatroll’s article clearly disclaims the satirical nature of its content, the USA News article does not, portraying it as real.
- Peter Schiff: Stock Up Now! Inflation Could Get Very Ugly October 18, 2021
- Investors Starting To Realize “Stagflation” Is A Problem October 18, 2021
- Beijing, Moscow, Ankara Push US Out Of Red Sea Dominance October 18, 2021
- WATCH– President Biden Violates Mask Mandate in D.C. October 17, 2021
- 40% Of California State Workers Are Unvaccinated Despite Newsom’s Order October 17, 2021
- Donald Trump Mocks Biden Corruption: ‘Hunter Has Inspired Me to Begin Painting’ October 17, 2021
- China Stuns U.S. Intelligence with Hypersonic Missile Test October 17, 2021
- Taibbi: Yes, Virginia, There Is A Deep State October 17, 2021
- Coal Generation In UK Jumps As Wind Speed Drops October 17, 2021
- David Hogg Rebuked Again, Youth Gun Sports Leagues See “Record-Setting” Participation October 16, 2021
- Report: Cori Bush Defends Defund Police Push While Spending $130,000 on Personal Security, Including Cops October 16, 2021
- Marlow: ‘A Semi-Responsible Media’ Would Constantly Press Buttigieg for any ‘Reasonable Explanation’ for Economic Problems October 16, 2021
- Poll: Joe Biden’s Job Approval Hits New Low at 36 Percent October 16, 2021
- International Space Station Briefly Destabilized After Accidental Russian Rocket Firing October 16, 2021
- Huge Dock Worker Protests In Italy, Fears Of Disruption, As Covid ‘Green Pass’ Takes Effect October 16, 2021
- Bovard: When Barack Obama Got Away With Murder October 15, 2021
- Rivera on Unvaccinated Kyrie Irving: ‘I Am Mad’ — ‘He’s Hurting Everybody’ October 15, 2021
- Joe Biden Wants Justice Department to Prosecute Trump Loyalists Defying Congressional Subpoenas October 15, 2021
- Flooding In West China Destroys Agricultural Production October 15, 2021
- Report: Hunter Biden Said Offer from Powerful Chinese Investor Had ‘Everything to Do with My Last Name’ October 15, 2021
- 1,662,828 hits