FACT CHECK: Did Donald Trump Re-Sign A 1952 Law Making ‘Muslamic Law’ Illegal?
May 30, 2020 5:19 pm
Tags: Check Your Fact, DC Exclusives - Original Reporting, Donald Trump, Islam, law, Politics
Categories: Check Your Fact DC Exclusives - Original Reporting Donald Trump Islam law Politics The Daily Caller
An article shared on Facebook claims President Donald Trump re-signed a 1952 law making “Muslamic law” illegal.
There is no evidence that Trump re-signed such a law. The article was originally published on a satire website.
The internet is replete with misinformation about politicians, with this particular post alleging Trump made many “Muslamic laws” illegal. (RELATED: ‘Down With The USA’ – Meme Purportedly Shows Anti-American Protesters In Michigan)
The post links to an article, which put up the headline “President Trump Re-Signs 1952 Law Making Muslamic Law Illegal Again,” that was published on the website USA News earlier this month. It claims Trump recently “re-signed Senator McCarthy’s landmark law making any kind of Muslamic law illegal in the United States.”
That appears to be a reference to the 1952 McCarran-Walter Act. Also known as the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952, the law “upheld the national origins quota system established by the Immigration Act of 1924,” according to the Office of the Historian at the State Department. Some social media users have also falsely claimed the act banned Muslims from coming to America or running for public office, but the words “Islam” and “Muslim” never appear in the act’s text.
Had Trump re-signed legislation to make “Muslamic law” illegal, it would have been picked up by major news outlets, yet none have reported on it, and there is no record of such a law in the Library of Congress.
The article appears to have copied nearly word-for-word from an article on Bustatroll.org, a parody news website that describes itself as part of a network that publishes “parody, satire, and tomfoolery.” Yet, while Bustatroll’s article clearly disclaims the satirical nature of its content, the USA News article does not, portraying it as real.
- Bill Maher Rips Woke Mentality Now Driving Olympic Games: “Belongs In Stalin’s Russia” August 1, 2021
- Brandon Smith: Why Are Globalists And Governments So Desperate For 100% Vaccination Rates? July 31, 2021
- Gavin Newsom: Democrats will face ‘Profound Consequences Nationwide’ in 2022 if Recall Successful July 31, 2021
- Larry Elder Rallies Beach Crowd in L.A. to Recall Gov. Gavin Newsom July 31, 2021
- Wildfires Are Coming For Wine, Weed, And Christmas July 31, 2021
- Carney: Fear of the Delta Variant Threatens to Stop Schools from Opening July 31, 2021
- Goldman Flow Desk Weekly Recap July 31, 2021
- Germany Blames Iran For Stalling Nuclear Talks: “Moving Further & Further Away” July 31, 2021
- Schlichter: Imagine If They Hadn’t Lied To Us For The Last 18 Months July 30, 2021
- Western Governors Call For Federal Aid To Fight Wildfires During Meeting With Biden July 30, 2021
- Biden Presses Schools to Hold ‘Pop-Up Clinics’ to Vaccinate Children 12 and Up July 30, 2021
- Joe Biden: Expect More Coronavirus Restrictions ‘In All Probability’ July 30, 2021
- CDC Director: ‘We’re Looking Into’ Federal Vaccine Mandate July 30, 2021
- Olympic Gold… Is Silver July 30, 2021
- Blue Glacier Publishes ‘Red Team’ Report on Cybercrime and Anti-Vaccination Militancy July 30, 2021
- Arkansas Judge Orders Unemployment Stimmies To Continue Despite 40,000 Vacant Jobs July 30, 2021
- 1.6 Billion Disposable Masks Entered Our Oceans In 2020 July 30, 2021
- How US And Russian Nuclear Arsenals Evolved July 29, 2021
- CNN’s Lemon: Time to Blame ‘Selfish’ Unvaccinated — Can’t Be Allowed in Offices, Gyms, Airplanes July 29, 2021
- GOP Rep. Nunes: ‘Pelosi Has Managed to Completely Burn Down This Institution’ July 29, 2021
- 1,653,348 hits