FACT CHECK: Did Ilhan Omar Say, ‘When We Win In November, We Will Eliminate Social Security Entitlements For Seniors’?
July 17, 2020 8:44 pm
Tags: Check Your Fact, DC Exclusives - Original Reporting, Ilhan Omar, Politics, Seniors, Social Security
Categories: Check Your Fact DC Exclusives - Original Reporting Ilhan Omar Politics Seniors Social Security The Daily Caller
An article shared on Facebook claims that Democratic Minnesota Rep. Ilhan Omar said, “When we win in November, we will eliminate Social Security entitlements for seniors.”
There is no record of Omar making the comments attributed to her in the article. The story was lifted from a parody news website.
The Facebook post links to an article, titled “Omar: ‘When We Win in November, We Will Eliminate Social Security Entitlements for Seniors,’” published by the website CPJ News on July 10. Omar made the vow to do away with such benefits during a rally for Independent Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, the article alleges.
Omar tweeted an endorsement for Sanders in October 2019, before he suspended his presidential campaign in April. She has since expressed support for former Vice President Joe Biden, tweeting the she “will vote for him and help him defeat Trump.”
“These old people haven’t earned these entitlements!” the CPJ News article quotes Omar as saying during a Sanders rally. “We need more funding for our infrastructure and education centers and the biggest government expense is social security entitlements for senior citizens. We will have these phased out completely by 2024. We need to look toward the future generations and provide them welfare benefits, not the past of these older generations.”
There is, however, no evidence Omar called to “eliminate Social Security entitlements for seniors.” Searching news reports and her congressional website didn’t turn up any instance of Omar making the comments attributed to her in the article. The statements also don’t appear on her social media pages.
Omar has advocated for expanding some federal entitlement programs during her congressional tenure. (RELATED: Did Democrats Introduce A Bill To ‘Euthanize Seniors’ To Save Social Security?)
“We should expand Medicaid, UI and SNAP, but we must deliver universal funds now!” she stated in a March 19 tweet thread about a coronavirus economic relief package she proposed. “Universal programs ensure that every American has a stake in our policies – that’s why programs like Social Security are so successful.”
The CPJ News article lifts word-for-word from a story published by Bustatroll.org, a parody news website that describes itself as part of a network that publishes “parody, satire, and tomfoolery.” Yet, while Bustatroll.org disclaims that “everything on this website is fiction,” CPJ News fails to make clear the content is satirical, portraying it as fact.
The reposting of parody news stories without clearly identifying that the content is satirical is a common way misinformation spreads online. In January, the Daily Caller debunked a viral article claiming President Donald Trump signed an executive order instituting term limits for Congress that originated on the satire website Daily World Update.
- Peter Schiff: Stock Up Now! Inflation Could Get Very Ugly October 18, 2021
- Investors Starting To Realize “Stagflation” Is A Problem October 18, 2021
- Beijing, Moscow, Ankara Push US Out Of Red Sea Dominance October 18, 2021
- WATCH– President Biden Violates Mask Mandate in D.C. October 17, 2021
- 40% Of California State Workers Are Unvaccinated Despite Newsom’s Order October 17, 2021
- Donald Trump Mocks Biden Corruption: ‘Hunter Has Inspired Me to Begin Painting’ October 17, 2021
- China Stuns U.S. Intelligence with Hypersonic Missile Test October 17, 2021
- Taibbi: Yes, Virginia, There Is A Deep State October 17, 2021
- Coal Generation In UK Jumps As Wind Speed Drops October 17, 2021
- David Hogg Rebuked Again, Youth Gun Sports Leagues See “Record-Setting” Participation October 16, 2021
- Report: Cori Bush Defends Defund Police Push While Spending $130,000 on Personal Security, Including Cops October 16, 2021
- Marlow: ‘A Semi-Responsible Media’ Would Constantly Press Buttigieg for any ‘Reasonable Explanation’ for Economic Problems October 16, 2021
- Poll: Joe Biden’s Job Approval Hits New Low at 36 Percent October 16, 2021
- International Space Station Briefly Destabilized After Accidental Russian Rocket Firing October 16, 2021
- Huge Dock Worker Protests In Italy, Fears Of Disruption, As Covid ‘Green Pass’ Takes Effect October 16, 2021
- Bovard: When Barack Obama Got Away With Murder October 15, 2021
- Rivera on Unvaccinated Kyrie Irving: ‘I Am Mad’ — ‘He’s Hurting Everybody’ October 15, 2021
- Joe Biden Wants Justice Department to Prosecute Trump Loyalists Defying Congressional Subpoenas October 15, 2021
- Flooding In West China Destroys Agricultural Production October 15, 2021
- Report: Hunter Biden Said Offer from Powerful Chinese Investor Had ‘Everything to Do with My Last Name’ October 15, 2021
- 1,662,828 hits