Filmmakers: Cancel Culture Seeks to Erode Traditional Values and Imprison the Mind
March 29, 2021 7:24 am
Tags: Cancel Culture, Featured Topics, Social Issues, US, US News
Categories: Cancel Culture censorship Epoch Times Featured Topics JoshWho News Social Issues traditional values US US News
Filmmakers Clarence Felder and Chris Weatherhead say that, as cancel culture broadens its scope, it’s not only having a chilling effect on people working in creative fields, but it seeks to imprison the mind more generally—to the detriment of society and civilization.
“I think the idea is to wipe out our history, wipe out our traditions, our values, everything—with the idea of just having there whatever they are doing, which is terrifying,” Weatherhead said of what she described as cancel culture run amok.
“Whether it’s theater, or whether it’s film, or whether it’s television, or podcast—it’s a way of communicating what matters,” Weatherhead told The Epoch Times’ “Crossroads” program.
The filmmaking duo spoke of clashing views around creativity—with one camp advocating for greater freedom to introduce ideas so they can then be openly challenged, debated, and—potentially—relegated to the dustbin of history, and the second seeking to ever more tightly control the boundaries of acceptable dialogue, silencing dissenting opinions, and restricting artistic and creative freedom.
Felder said a core function of stories is to inform people of the consequences of decisions and actions—without having to experience them directly.
“The power of story is significant—not just to Western civilization, but to all civilizations,” he said, noting that stories are a way to convey key messages and values to subsequent generations, who eventually “start acting them out, and then make decisions” that are meant to ensure they survive and thrive.
“The whole idea is to help change somebody’s life, help them make a better decision, which is what I was doing in the prisons,” Weatherhead said, noting she had spent around eight years in the California prison system helping inmates rehabilitate.
“And some of those people that were in prison were more free, because they had figured it out,” she said. “They had figured out life. And they were going to make good choices when they got out.”
“And I drive back down to [Los Angeles] and I’d be in the company of people who were imprisoned by money, drugs, sex, power, whatever, and I felt like God had given me the ability to just see—it’s very sad that people could spend their whole lives in prison—and they’re not behind bars,” Weatherhead added.
She said cancel culture was mounting an attack on the freedom of creatives to tell stories their way—and so undermining their ability to use narrative as a tool to educate, inspire, and guide.
“It is so devastating,” she said. “I say no censorship.”
“There are things that I would love to utterly destroy, but I do not believe in censorship of any kind. Free societies do not tolerate censorship, flat out,” she said.
The interview with Felder and Weatherhead—who have undertaken numerous joint projects over the years—comes as cancel culture has broadened its targets to include cartoon characters like Speedy Gonzales and children’s authors like Dr. Seuss.
- Could Biden Nominate Anti-Gun Activist David Chipman As “Gun Czar”? September 16, 2021
- COVID Hysteria Could Destroy A Generation September 16, 2021
- The Illusion Of Getting Rich While Producing Nothing September 16, 2021
- Report: John Durham Will Seek Indictment of Democratic Lawyer for Allegedly Lying to the F.B.I. During ‘Russian Collusion’ Investigation September 16, 2021
- Watch: Joe Biden Forgets Who He’s Talking To — Calls Australian PM ‘That Fella Down Under’ September 16, 2021
- Major UK Fertilizer Plants Shuttered Due To Skyrocketing Natural Gas Prices September 16, 2021
- Canada’s Conservatives Are Using Soaring Inflation To Help Defeat Trudeau September 15, 2021
- Mary Trump: Donald’s Entire Cabinet in ‘Dereliction of Its Duty’ for Not Invoking 25th Amendment September 15, 2021
- Bonds & Dollar Dump; Crypto Jumps As Debt-Ceiling Doubts Build September 15, 2021
- European Gas Prices Continue Parabolic Rise As EU Debates Nord Stream 2 Certification September 15, 2021
- Larry Elder, ‘Gracious in Defeat’: ‘We May Have Lost the Battle, but We Are Going to Win the War’ September 15, 2021
- Over Two-Thirds Of Businesses Worldwide Report Hiring Difficulties September 15, 2021
- WATCH – Gavin Newsom After Recall Victory: ‘We Said Yes to Science, We Said Yes to Vaccines’ September 15, 2021
- Gavin Newsom to Remain in Office; Democrats Want to Limit Future Recalls September 14, 2021
- Nikki Minaj Sparks MSM Meltdown After Suggesting Americans Think For Themselves About Vaccines September 14, 2021
- Nolte: Elites Violate Mask Mandate at Grotesque Met Gala September 14, 2021
- Biden, Newsom Continue Democrat Tradition of Blaming Climate Change for Wildfires September 14, 2021
- FBI Fires Lead Agent In Whitmer Kidnapping Case September 14, 2021
- Amnesty Alert: Bill ‘Blows Away All Numerical Limits’ on Employer-Based Green Cards — for an Entire Decade September 14, 2021
- A Father Speaks About the Death of his 16yr old son Ernest Ramirez Jr. after he received the COVID19 Vaccine September 13, 2021
- 1,659,675 hits