Florida Couple Plead Guilty to Housing, Employing Illegal Immigrants at Their Restaurants
March 30, 2021 6:57 pm
Tags: Crime and Incidents, Featured Topics, financial fraud, Florida, illegal immigration, immigration, Immigration & Border Security, US, US News
Categories: Crime and Incidents Epoch Times Featured Topics financial fraud Florida illegal immigration immigration Immigration & Border Security JoshWho News US US News
A Florida couple have pleaded guilty to federal charges related to their employment of illegal immigrants at their restaurants, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Florida.
Ji Lin Qiu, 44, and his wife, Gui Zhen Yang, 37, who both live in Palm Coast, are permanent U.S. residents who came from China.
They owned and ran two restaurants in Jacksonville and one restaurant in Palm Coast. The restaurants in Jacksonville are Red Bowl restaurant on Bartram Park Boulevard and the Red Bowl Poké & Hibachi restaurant on Crosshill Boulevard. The restaurant in Palm Coast is the Fancy Sushi & Grill restaurant on East Highway 100.
According to the Justice Department, court documents say that Qiu and Yang employed illegal immigrants who were not legally authorized to work in the United States. The couple did not require their workers to show documents showing they could legally work in the country, contrary to federal law.
The couple also provided rent-free housing to the illegal immigrants at three residences that they owned or rented, prosecutors allege. Each of the residences was near one of the restaurants. The workers were also provided with transportation between the residences and the restaurants.
The workers were allegedly paid in cash. Qiu and Yang didn’t report the illegal immigrants to state revenue authorities as required under Florida law.
The couple were indicted on Sept. 14, 2020. Qiu has pleaded guilty to harboring undocumented aliens for commercial advantage and private financial gain. The charge carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in federal prison. Yang has pleaded guilty to establishing a commercial enterprise for the purpose of evading U.S. immigration laws. She faces a maximum penalty of five years in federal prison.
Qiu, as part of his plea agreement, is forfeiting a residence in Palm Coast, as well as three vehicles—a 2013 Toyota Sienna van, a 2019 Honda Odyssey van, and a 2020 Honda Odyssey van.
A sentencing date has not been scheduled as of Tuesday.
- When The Levee Breaks… September 20, 2021
- If Only We Could Find A Cure For Trump Derangement Syndrome September 19, 2021
- The Fed Has Liquidated Its Entire Corporate Bond Portfolio September 19, 2021
- Report: Secondary Schools in Afghanistan Open Without Female Students or Teachers September 19, 2021
- U.S., Mexico Begin Removal Flights for Haitian Migrants September 19, 2021
- Report: Beto O’Rourke Eyes Political Comeback in Texas Gubernatorial Race September 19, 2021
- Rickards: No Recovery Until 2045? September 19, 2021
- Kadish: Is It Puppeteers Or Puppets In Control In Washington? September 18, 2021
- Hospital Staff That Decline COVID Vaccine For Religious Reasons Must Attest To Also Swearing Off Tylenol, Tums, & Other Common Meds September 18, 2021
- ‘Justice for J6’: Protesters Call for Due Process for Capitol Attack Detainees September 18, 2021
- Mexican State Cops Stop Buses with Caribbean Migrants Headed for Border, They Kept Walking September 18, 2021
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Venezuelan, Colombian Migrants Cross Border Upstream from Del Rio Migrant Camp September 18, 2021
- Could Biden Nominate Anti-Gun Activist David Chipman As “Gun Czar”? September 16, 2021
- COVID Hysteria Could Destroy A Generation September 16, 2021
- The Illusion Of Getting Rich While Producing Nothing September 16, 2021
- Report: John Durham Will Seek Indictment of Democratic Lawyer for Allegedly Lying to the F.B.I. During ‘Russian Collusion’ Investigation September 16, 2021
- Watch: Joe Biden Forgets Who He’s Talking To — Calls Australian PM ‘That Fella Down Under’ September 16, 2021
- Major UK Fertilizer Plants Shuttered Due To Skyrocketing Natural Gas Prices September 16, 2021
- Canada’s Conservatives Are Using Soaring Inflation To Help Defeat Trudeau September 15, 2021
- Mary Trump: Donald’s Entire Cabinet in ‘Dereliction of Its Duty’ for Not Invoking 25th Amendment September 15, 2021
- 1,659,903 hits