Future of Thousands of Steelwork Jobs in the Air
April 8, 2021 12:34 am
Tags: Australia, australian job market, australian manufacturing, australian steel industry, Europe, International, World
Categories: Australia australian job market australian manufacturing australian steel industry Epoch Times Europe International JoshWho News World
Thousands of South Australians are looking to the federal government for assurance as the future of Whyalla Steelworks operations remain uncertain.
Whyalla’s owner, Sanjeev Gupta, chairman of GFG Alliance, was taken to court by Credit Suisse on Tuesday over the financial collapse of one of its biggest lenders, Greensill. Following its collapse, Credit Suisse is trying to recover a portion of its billions of finance by breaking up Gupta’s Australian assets.
If the creditor is successful, it could end two operations under Gupta and send OneSteel Manufacturing, which runs Whyalla Steelworks, and Tahmoor Coal into liquidation.
GFG Alliance assured the public and told InDaily on Wednesday that it had received multiple offers of finance from large investment funds and is currently in advanced due diligence.
“The term sheets as currently proposed would provide enough cash to repay the creditors,” the spokesman said in the statement. “GFG Alliance expects the confirmatory due diligence to be complete within weeks before a final offer is accepted.”
South Australian Treasurer Rob Lucas tried to reassure OneSteel employees, saying they shouldn’t jump to any “alarmist conclusions” as the legal action had just begun.
“GFG has continued to ensure the market, and the government, that they are confident they’re going to be able to manage a refinancing of their relationship they’ve got with Greensill,” Lucas told ABC. “We can only take them at their word at this particular stage, and we’ll have to wait and see the results of their attempted renegotiation of finance.”
He also said the company had not sought further financial assistance from the state government, as GFG had said they were confident of refinancing.
Whyalla Mayor Clare McLaughlin also called for calm in the community, telling Whyalla News that GFG had assured the local council that it would “vigorously” defend the legal proceedings and face the legal challenge head-on.
“These are all encouraging signs, so we implore the community to remain positive as this process plays out and to not jump to conclusions based on speculation,” McLaughlin said.
South Australian MP Rowan Ramsey said it was too early to panic, noting that GFG had recently announced the strong performance and positive cash flows of their Australian businesses.
“We need people to stay calm as we work our way through the issues,” Ramsey said. “I can assure the residents and businesses of Whyalla we are watching the space closely.”
A directions hearing for the legal proceedings will begin on May 6.
- How Much Of A Risk Is The Coming Debt Limit July 23, 2021
- Lost In Translation July 23, 2021
- Stop DDoS Attacks Fast in its Tracks for Free and Simple to install 2021 July 23, 2021
- Volkswagen CEO Says EV Margin Parity With ICE Vehicles Will Be Reached In “2 To 3 Years” July 23, 2021
- Two Men Shot, Wounded on Washington DC’s Busy 14th Street July 22, 2021
- Montana Attorney General Provides Legal Basis For Rejecting Critical Race Theory: Activists July 22, 2021
- Sen. Jim Risch on Biden’s Ecoterrorist Nominee: ‘This Attempted Murderer’ Should Be ‘Before a Jury’ July 22, 2021
- Report: Nancy Pelosi Mulls Adding Anti-Trump Adam Kinzinger to January 6 Committee July 22, 2021
- Peter Schiff: The Markets Are Afraid Of The Wrong Thing July 22, 2021
- Pennsylvania Decertifies County’s Voting System, Cites Violation Of Election Code July 22, 2021
- Right Hand Technology Group Ranked on Channel Futures MSP 501 – Tech Industry’s Most Prestigious List of Global Managed Service Providers July 22, 2021
- Pegasus Spyware Targeted French President Macron – “Extremely Serious” Breach Under Investigation July 22, 2021
- Fact Check: Joe Biden Spreads Misinformation About COVID-19 Vaccines at CNN Town Hall July 21, 2021
- Exclusive — Mike Pompeo: Biden Admin Has ‘Literally Done Nothing’ to Pressure China, Wuhan Lab ‘Still Open’ July 21, 2021
- Exclusive — Mike Pompeo: Read the Bible, Not 1619 Project July 21, 2021
- Record Droughts Plague Argentina As Parana River Hits 77-Year Low July 21, 2021
- Q2’s Stock-Bond Correlation Regime Has Collapsed As VIX Curve Anticipates J-Hole Turbulence July 21, 2021
- Pentagon Reportedly Tracking “Extremist” Web Searches Including “The Truth About Black Lives Matter” July 21, 2021
- “Hellish” Noise Complaints Lodged About £30,000 Per Week Luxury London Flat…Owned By The Vatican July 21, 2021
- Charles Hurt: Political Zealots Attempt to Destroy Legacy of the Civil Rights Movement July 20, 2021
- 1,652,229 hits