Gov. Abbott declines invite to throw out first pitch at Rangers’ opening game
April 5, 2021 12:16 pm
Tags: Baseball, Elections, Featured, Georgia, Greg Abbott, MLB, Nation, Politics, Texas
Categories: Baseball Elections Featured Georgia Greg Abbott JoshWho News MLB Nation Politics Saraa Carter Texas
In a Monday statement, Texas Governor Greg Abbott said he will not be throwing out the first pitch at the opening game of the Texas Rangers’ season.
“I was looking forward to it – until Major League Baseball adopted what has turned out to be a false narrative about the election law reforms in Georgie, and, based on that false narrative, moved the MLB All-Star Game from Atlanta,” Abbott said.
“It is shameful that America’s pastime is not only being influenced by partisan political politics, but also perpetuating false political narratives,” he added.
Last week, MLB made the decision to move its All Star Game out of the state of Georgia over a newly enacted election law that Democrats argue resembles Jim Crow Laws, arguing that it restricts voting access to Black voters.
“Over the last week, we have engaged in thoughtful conversations with Clubs, former and current players, the Players Association, and The Players Alliance, among others, to listen to their views. I have decided that the best way to demonstrate our values as a sport is by relocating this year’s All-Star Game and MLB Draft,” Commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement.
Many other companies such as Coca-cola and Delta Airlines have come out publicly against the new law, including former President Donald Trump, who is calling on Americans to boycott the companies.
On the other side of the aisle, some Democrats like Stacey Abrams have urged Americans not to boycott the companies that don’t condemn on the law.
Follow Jennie Taer on Twitter @JennieSTaer
- When The Levee Breaks… September 20, 2021
- If Only We Could Find A Cure For Trump Derangement Syndrome September 19, 2021
- The Fed Has Liquidated Its Entire Corporate Bond Portfolio September 19, 2021
- Report: Secondary Schools in Afghanistan Open Without Female Students or Teachers September 19, 2021
- U.S., Mexico Begin Removal Flights for Haitian Migrants September 19, 2021
- Report: Beto O’Rourke Eyes Political Comeback in Texas Gubernatorial Race September 19, 2021
- Rickards: No Recovery Until 2045? September 19, 2021
- Kadish: Is It Puppeteers Or Puppets In Control In Washington? September 18, 2021
- Hospital Staff That Decline COVID Vaccine For Religious Reasons Must Attest To Also Swearing Off Tylenol, Tums, & Other Common Meds September 18, 2021
- ‘Justice for J6’: Protesters Call for Due Process for Capitol Attack Detainees September 18, 2021
- Mexican State Cops Stop Buses with Caribbean Migrants Headed for Border, They Kept Walking September 18, 2021
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Venezuelan, Colombian Migrants Cross Border Upstream from Del Rio Migrant Camp September 18, 2021
- Could Biden Nominate Anti-Gun Activist David Chipman As “Gun Czar”? September 16, 2021
- COVID Hysteria Could Destroy A Generation September 16, 2021
- The Illusion Of Getting Rich While Producing Nothing September 16, 2021
- Report: John Durham Will Seek Indictment of Democratic Lawyer for Allegedly Lying to the F.B.I. During ‘Russian Collusion’ Investigation September 16, 2021
- Watch: Joe Biden Forgets Who He’s Talking To — Calls Australian PM ‘That Fella Down Under’ September 16, 2021
- Major UK Fertilizer Plants Shuttered Due To Skyrocketing Natural Gas Prices September 16, 2021
- Canada’s Conservatives Are Using Soaring Inflation To Help Defeat Trudeau September 15, 2021
- Mary Trump: Donald’s Entire Cabinet in ‘Dereliction of Its Duty’ for Not Invoking 25th Amendment September 15, 2021
- 1,659,904 hits