Harvard’s $42 Billion Endowment Says It Will Stop Investing In Fossil Fuels
It isn’t just ETFs that are rebranding as ESG – now, Harvard’s is foregoing potential hefty dividends and gains in the oil and gas industry to be able to slap the ESG title on the college’s $42 billion endowment, which said this week it would stop investing in fossil fuels.
The school said it’ll use its endowment to “support the green economy”, according to Yahoo and Bloomberg.
We guess it’s a good thing that generating free cash flow isn’t important anymore.
The fund’s manager, Harvard Management Co., “does not intend to make such investments in the future” and currently has no oil and gas exposure, according to President Larry Bacow.
The fund is making the change after what Bloomberg calls “years of sustained activism from students calling for fossil-fuel divestment”.
Wait until the students take their first ECON 101 course and learn about discounting cash flows. Perhaps their minds will change; or the cafeteria may have to forego their favorite organic, gluten-free grass fed lunches due to budget constraints.
Regardless, Harvard follows in the footsteps of schools like the University of California and the U.K.’s Cambridge University. The University said last year it would also work to forge a path to “net zero” greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.
That, of course, wasn’t fast enough for a “students group”, Bloomberg wrote, who had nothing to do with their time so they took to filing a complaint in March with the Massachusetts attorney general “in an attempt to force the university to sell its estimated $838 million fossil fuel holdings”.
Bacow continued: “Given the need to decarbonize the economy and our responsibility as fiduciaries to make long-term investment decisions that support our teaching and research mission, we do not believe such investments are prudent.”
Harvard joins other names in the asset management industry in moving toward carbon neutrality and devising “net-zero” investing.
Godpseed to Harvard. Meanwhile, if you’re looking for us, we’ll be enjoying our 6% yield from Exxon while mining bitcoin using kerosene generators.
- Cuba Becomes First Country To Mass Vaccinate Children As Young As 2-Years Old September 20, 2021
- Ron DeSantis and 25 Republican Governors Demand Southern Border Crisis Meeting with Biden September 20, 2021
- White House: Illegal Aliens Do Not Need Proof of Vaccination Because ‘Not Intending to Stay’ September 20, 2021
- DHS Steps Up Removal Flights for Haitian Migrants at Border Bridge Camp September 20, 2021
- When The Levee Breaks… September 20, 2021
- If Only We Could Find A Cure For Trump Derangement Syndrome September 19, 2021
- The Fed Has Liquidated Its Entire Corporate Bond Portfolio September 19, 2021
- Report: Secondary Schools in Afghanistan Open Without Female Students or Teachers September 19, 2021
- U.S., Mexico Begin Removal Flights for Haitian Migrants September 19, 2021
- Report: Beto O’Rourke Eyes Political Comeback in Texas Gubernatorial Race September 19, 2021
- Rickards: No Recovery Until 2045? September 19, 2021
- Kadish: Is It Puppeteers Or Puppets In Control In Washington? September 18, 2021
- Hospital Staff That Decline COVID Vaccine For Religious Reasons Must Attest To Also Swearing Off Tylenol, Tums, & Other Common Meds September 18, 2021
- ‘Justice for J6’: Protesters Call for Due Process for Capitol Attack Detainees September 18, 2021
- Mexican State Cops Stop Buses with Caribbean Migrants Headed for Border, They Kept Walking September 18, 2021
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Venezuelan, Colombian Migrants Cross Border Upstream from Del Rio Migrant Camp September 18, 2021
- Could Biden Nominate Anti-Gun Activist David Chipman As “Gun Czar”? September 16, 2021
- COVID Hysteria Could Destroy A Generation September 16, 2021
- The Illusion Of Getting Rich While Producing Nothing September 16, 2021
- Report: John Durham Will Seek Indictment of Democratic Lawyer for Allegedly Lying to the F.B.I. During ‘Russian Collusion’ Investigation September 16, 2021
- 1,659,973 hits