Israelis vote Tuesday as Netanyahu seeks re-election
March 23, 2021 11:20 am
Tags: Benjamin Netanyahu, Elections, Featured, Israel, israel prime minister, Israeli Elections, Politics
Categories: Benjamin Netanyahu Elections Featured Israel israel prime minister Israeli Elections JoshWho News Politics Saraa Carter
Israelis are voting Tuesday, for the fourth time in two years, as Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu seeks re-election after a record-breaking 12 consecutive years in office.
Netanyahu has refused to resign after being indicted for alleged bribery and fraud, which has divided the country into two polarizing sides. This has led Israel to hold elections more frequently than any other major democracy.
Netanyahu has denied the allegations. His trial on charges of bribery, fraud and breach of trust has already begun and is expected to resume in April.
It is predicted to be a tight race between Prime Minister Netanyahu, who is a member of the Likud party, and his opponents, according to the latest opinion polls.
Netanyahu’s rivals include Yair Lapid, a member of the Yesh Atid party, who has emerged as as the moderate candidate to Netanyahu.
“Vote, vote, vote, vote, vote,” Netanyahu said after casting his ballot in Jerusalem, Calling the occasion a “festival of democracy.”
Lapid said, “this the moment of truth for the state of Israel,” as he casted his vote in Tel Aviv.
Netanyahu hopes his coronavirus vaccine rollout will win him another term in office with Israel vaccinating its population faster than any other country.
Netanyahu is urging his supporters to vote, tweeting that there has been a low voter turnout.
“Low turnout in the South. Likudniks must go to the polls now. Take family and friends. Two more seats and we win and form a strong right-wing government,” Netanyahu wrote on Twitter Tuesday.
An official vote tally may be calculated by Wednesday.
Follow Annaliese Levy on Twitter @AnnalieseLevy
- International Space Station Briefly Destabilized After Accidental Russian Rocket Firing October 16, 2021
- Huge Dock Worker Protests In Italy, Fears Of Disruption, As Covid ‘Green Pass’ Takes Effect October 16, 2021
- Bovard: When Barack Obama Got Away With Murder October 15, 2021
- Rivera on Unvaccinated Kyrie Irving: ‘I Am Mad’ — ‘He’s Hurting Everybody’ October 15, 2021
- Joe Biden Wants Justice Department to Prosecute Trump Loyalists Defying Congressional Subpoenas October 15, 2021
- Flooding In West China Destroys Agricultural Production October 15, 2021
- Report: Hunter Biden Said Offer from Powerful Chinese Investor Had ‘Everything to Do with My Last Name’ October 15, 2021
- Bill Clinton Hospitalized For Infection That Spread To Bloodstream October 15, 2021
- Cryptos Surge On News SEC “Set To Allow” Bitcoin Futures ETF October 15, 2021
- Treasury Official Warns Using Stablecoins For Payments “Raises A Whole Set Of Issues” October 14, 2021
- Biden’s Court-packing Commission Blames Republicans for Polarization over Judiciary October 14, 2021
- Poll: Americans Are Increasingly Wary of Government Overreach Under Biden October 14, 2021
- Justice Breyer Calls SCOTUS ‘Fallible’ as Leftists Seek to Pack the Court October 14, 2021
- Putin: $100 Oil Is “Quite Possible” October 14, 2021
- The Great New Normal Purge October 13, 2021
- Trump: ‘Republicans Will Not Be Voting’ in Future Elections Unless 2020 Fraud Resolved October 13, 2021
- Charles Hurt: Sorry Republican Swamp Creatures, the Trump Train Rolls On October 13, 2021
- Joe Biden Blames Private Companies for Port Delays October 13, 2021
- Stellar Demand For 30Y Auction As Curve Comes Crashing Down October 13, 2021
- FDA Says No Need For Boosters As Moderna, J&J Plead Case October 13, 2021
- 1,662,659 hits