Italy’s Draghi Fires COVID Commissioner, With Vaccination Drive in Spotlight
ROME—Prime Minister Mario Draghi on March 1 fired Italy’s special COVID-19 commissioner Domenico Arcuri and replaced him with an army logistics expert, in a signal the government wanted to speed up vaccinations.
The move followed growing complaints about Arcuri’s handling of the crisis and concern that the anti-COVID vaccine campaign was moving forward too slowly.
It’s one of Draghi’s first major decisions since becoming premier in February and follows his firing last week of the chief of the civil protection agency. That step was also seen as an attempt to improve Italy’s response to the COVID crisis.
The new coronavirus commissioner is General Francesco Paolo Figliuolo, a former commander of NATO forces in Kosovo and head of army logistics since 2018.
Draghi told parliament in February that he wanted to involve the military in the nationwide vaccine roll-out plan.
Italy launched its inoculation campaign at the end of December and has so far administered 4.3 million vaccines, including second shots.
In all, it has received 6.3 million vaccine doses from manufacturers, but supply delays, which have also affected other European Union states, have hampered efforts.
The country is due to receive millions of more doses this month, but critics have said there’s no coherent plan in place to allow for the sort of massive vaccination programs that Britain and Israel instigated.
Draghi said in February that there was a growing case for Italy to follow the British example of making it a priority to give first shots to as many people as possible.
At present, many EU countries, including Italy, are following drugmaker recommendations to give people two separate vaccinations and are holding back doses as a result.
Arcuri, who also heads the national investments agency Invitalia, was appointed special COVID commissioner in 2019 by the then-prime minister Giuseppe Conte.
He has come under pressure in recent months after a judicial investigation alleged that one of his longtime acquaintances had received 12 million euros from a Chinese consortium after it won a major contract from the commissioner’s office.
Magistrates have placed the friend under investigation for alleged corruption. Arcuri is not under investigation himself and has denied any wrongdoing.
In its statement on March 1, Draghi’s office thanked Arcuri for his “commitment and dedication … in a moment of particular emergency for the country.”
By Crispian Balmer
- Could Biden Nominate Anti-Gun Activist David Chipman As “Gun Czar”? September 16, 2021
- COVID Hysteria Could Destroy A Generation September 16, 2021
- The Illusion Of Getting Rich While Producing Nothing September 16, 2021
- Report: John Durham Will Seek Indictment of Democratic Lawyer for Allegedly Lying to the F.B.I. During ‘Russian Collusion’ Investigation September 16, 2021
- Watch: Joe Biden Forgets Who He’s Talking To — Calls Australian PM ‘That Fella Down Under’ September 16, 2021
- Major UK Fertilizer Plants Shuttered Due To Skyrocketing Natural Gas Prices September 16, 2021
- Canada’s Conservatives Are Using Soaring Inflation To Help Defeat Trudeau September 15, 2021
- Mary Trump: Donald’s Entire Cabinet in ‘Dereliction of Its Duty’ for Not Invoking 25th Amendment September 15, 2021
- Bonds & Dollar Dump; Crypto Jumps As Debt-Ceiling Doubts Build September 15, 2021
- European Gas Prices Continue Parabolic Rise As EU Debates Nord Stream 2 Certification September 15, 2021
- Larry Elder, ‘Gracious in Defeat’: ‘We May Have Lost the Battle, but We Are Going to Win the War’ September 15, 2021
- Over Two-Thirds Of Businesses Worldwide Report Hiring Difficulties September 15, 2021
- WATCH – Gavin Newsom After Recall Victory: ‘We Said Yes to Science, We Said Yes to Vaccines’ September 15, 2021
- Gavin Newsom to Remain in Office; Democrats Want to Limit Future Recalls September 14, 2021
- Nikki Minaj Sparks MSM Meltdown After Suggesting Americans Think For Themselves About Vaccines September 14, 2021
- Nolte: Elites Violate Mask Mandate at Grotesque Met Gala September 14, 2021
- Biden, Newsom Continue Democrat Tradition of Blaming Climate Change for Wildfires September 14, 2021
- FBI Fires Lead Agent In Whitmer Kidnapping Case September 14, 2021
- Amnesty Alert: Bill ‘Blows Away All Numerical Limits’ on Employer-Based Green Cards — for an Entire Decade September 14, 2021
- A Father Speaks About the Death of his 16yr old son Ernest Ramirez Jr. after he received the COVID19 Vaccine September 13, 2021
- 1,659,677 hits