Joe Biden Urges Americans to Stand Up to ‘Lies Told for Power and for Profit’
January 20, 2021 2:21 pm
Tags: 2020 Election, 2020 presidential race, Donald Trump, Facebook, Glenn Greenwald, Joe Biden, PARLER, Politics, Twitter, White House
Categories: 2020 Election 2020 presidential race Breitbart News Donald Trump Facebook Glenn Greenwald Joe Biden JoshWho News PARLER Politics Twitter White House
President Joe Biden is urging Americans to stand up to the “lies told for power and for profit” in an effort to bridge the nation’s divides.
Biden, who campaigned for the White House last year on a pledge to restore bipartisanship and unity, made the remarks on Wednesday shortly after being sworn in as the nation’s commander in chief. The president, in particular, used his inaugural address to discuss the “common objects … that define us as Americans.”
“What are the common objects we as Americans love, that define us as Americans,” Biden asked those watching his address. “I think we know. Opportunity, security, liberty, dignity, respect, honor, and yes, the truth.”
The president proceeded to argue that “the truth,” while consequentially important, had been under sustained attack.
“Recent weeks and months have taught us a painful lesson,” the president said. “There is truth and there are lies. Lies told for power and for profit.”
“And each of us has a duty and a responsibility as citizens as Americans and especially as leaders,” Biden added. “Leaders who are pledged to honor our Constitution to protect our nation. To defend the truth and defeat the lies.”
Biden’s comments about needing to “defend the truth” and push back on lies “told for power and for profit” come as the country’s major technology companies have moved to restrict the social media presence of former President Donald Trump.
Even before the peaceful transfer of power, social networking giants, especially Facebook and Twitter, had begun censoring Trump’s public statements on their platforms. Officially, the companies claimed they were doing so to prevent the spread of misinformation, specifically about the 2020 election process and its results.
When several of Trump supporters attempted to storm the United States Capitol earlier this month in an effort to stop the certification of the election, Twitter and Facebook—among other technology giants—took the added measure of banning the president from their platforms. Trump’s ban, which the companies claim was “due to the risk of further incitement of violence,” was coupled with Amazon and Google’s attempts to restrict access to the conservative social network site Parler.
The bans drew rebuke from across the political spectrum. A number of high-profile lawmakers and commentators, most notably the progressive journalist Glenn Greenwald, have lambasted the ban as threat to freedom of speech.
- Beijing Denounces Video Games As “Spiritual Opium”, Tencent Tumbles After Imposing Limits August 3, 2021
- Escobar: The Taliban Go To Tianjin August 2, 2021
- Ed Markey and Squad Sing ‘Communist’ Song ‘This Land Is Your Land’ August 2, 2021
- Pandemic Performance: AOC Masks up for Photo with Supporters August 2, 2021
- The Internet Celebrates the Collapse of the Left’s Woke Olympic Icons August 2, 2021
- Evictions Start With Nancy Pelosi & The House On A 7-Week Break August 2, 2021
- A Grossly Defective Product. How Strong Is The Economy Really? August 2, 2021
- Millions Locked Down As China Battles Worst COVID Outbreak Since Wuhan August 2, 2021
- The Road To Totalitarianism August 1, 2021
- Bipartisan ‘Infrastructure’ Bill Allows Feds to Bypass ‘Buy American’ Rules, Outsource U.S. Manufacturing August 1, 2021
- Senators Finally Introduce ‘Infrastructure’ Bill After Unauthorized Leak to Breitbart News August 1, 2021
- Exclusive: Bipartisan So-Called ‘Infrastructure’ Bill 2,700 Pages Long August 1, 2021
- Key Cryptocurrency Developments And Updates From JPMorgan August 1, 2021
- Bill Maher Rips Woke Mentality Now Driving Olympic Games: “Belongs In Stalin’s Russia” August 1, 2021
- Brandon Smith: Why Are Globalists And Governments So Desperate For 100% Vaccination Rates? July 31, 2021
- Gavin Newsom: Democrats will face ‘Profound Consequences Nationwide’ in 2022 if Recall Successful July 31, 2021
- Larry Elder Rallies Beach Crowd in L.A. to Recall Gov. Gavin Newsom July 31, 2021
- Wildfires Are Coming For Wine, Weed, And Christmas July 31, 2021
- Carney: Fear of the Delta Variant Threatens to Stop Schools from Opening July 31, 2021
- Goldman Flow Desk Weekly Recap July 31, 2021
- 1,653,524 hits