Joe Biden Urges Americans to Stand Up to ‘Lies Told for Power and for Profit’
January 20, 2021 2:21 pm
Tags: 2020 Election, 2020 presidential race, Donald Trump, Facebook, Glenn Greenwald, Joe Biden, PARLER, Politics, Twitter, White House
Categories: 2020 Election 2020 presidential race Breitbart News Donald Trump Facebook Glenn Greenwald Joe Biden JoshWho News PARLER Politics Twitter White House
President Joe Biden is urging Americans to stand up to the “lies told for power and for profit” in an effort to bridge the nation’s divides.
Biden, who campaigned for the White House last year on a pledge to restore bipartisanship and unity, made the remarks on Wednesday shortly after being sworn in as the nation’s commander in chief. The president, in particular, used his inaugural address to discuss the “common objects … that define us as Americans.”
“What are the common objects we as Americans love, that define us as Americans,” Biden asked those watching his address. “I think we know. Opportunity, security, liberty, dignity, respect, honor, and yes, the truth.”
The president proceeded to argue that “the truth,” while consequentially important, had been under sustained attack.
“Recent weeks and months have taught us a painful lesson,” the president said. “There is truth and there are lies. Lies told for power and for profit.”
“And each of us has a duty and a responsibility as citizens as Americans and especially as leaders,” Biden added. “Leaders who are pledged to honor our Constitution to protect our nation. To defend the truth and defeat the lies.”
Biden’s comments about needing to “defend the truth” and push back on lies “told for power and for profit” come as the country’s major technology companies have moved to restrict the social media presence of former President Donald Trump.
Even before the peaceful transfer of power, social networking giants, especially Facebook and Twitter, had begun censoring Trump’s public statements on their platforms. Officially, the companies claimed they were doing so to prevent the spread of misinformation, specifically about the 2020 election process and its results.
When several of Trump supporters attempted to storm the United States Capitol earlier this month in an effort to stop the certification of the election, Twitter and Facebook—among other technology giants—took the added measure of banning the president from their platforms. Trump’s ban, which the companies claim was “due to the risk of further incitement of violence,” was coupled with Amazon and Google’s attempts to restrict access to the conservative social network site Parler.
The bans drew rebuke from across the political spectrum. A number of high-profile lawmakers and commentators, most notably the progressive journalist Glenn Greenwald, have lambasted the ban as threat to freedom of speech.
- Peter Schiff: Stock Up Now! Inflation Could Get Very Ugly October 18, 2021
- Investors Starting To Realize “Stagflation” Is A Problem October 18, 2021
- Beijing, Moscow, Ankara Push US Out Of Red Sea Dominance October 18, 2021
- WATCH– President Biden Violates Mask Mandate in D.C. October 17, 2021
- 40% Of California State Workers Are Unvaccinated Despite Newsom’s Order October 17, 2021
- Donald Trump Mocks Biden Corruption: ‘Hunter Has Inspired Me to Begin Painting’ October 17, 2021
- China Stuns U.S. Intelligence with Hypersonic Missile Test October 17, 2021
- Taibbi: Yes, Virginia, There Is A Deep State October 17, 2021
- Coal Generation In UK Jumps As Wind Speed Drops October 17, 2021
- David Hogg Rebuked Again, Youth Gun Sports Leagues See “Record-Setting” Participation October 16, 2021
- Report: Cori Bush Defends Defund Police Push While Spending $130,000 on Personal Security, Including Cops October 16, 2021
- Marlow: ‘A Semi-Responsible Media’ Would Constantly Press Buttigieg for any ‘Reasonable Explanation’ for Economic Problems October 16, 2021
- Poll: Joe Biden’s Job Approval Hits New Low at 36 Percent October 16, 2021
- International Space Station Briefly Destabilized After Accidental Russian Rocket Firing October 16, 2021
- Huge Dock Worker Protests In Italy, Fears Of Disruption, As Covid ‘Green Pass’ Takes Effect October 16, 2021
- Bovard: When Barack Obama Got Away With Murder October 15, 2021
- Rivera on Unvaccinated Kyrie Irving: ‘I Am Mad’ — ‘He’s Hurting Everybody’ October 15, 2021
- Joe Biden Wants Justice Department to Prosecute Trump Loyalists Defying Congressional Subpoenas October 15, 2021
- Flooding In West China Destroys Agricultural Production October 15, 2021
- Report: Hunter Biden Said Offer from Powerful Chinese Investor Had ‘Everything to Do with My Last Name’ October 15, 2021
- 1,662,819 hits