Man With Metal Detector Finds 222-Year-Old Coin Near Church
EMBDEN, Maine—A man with a metal detector has found a long-hidden, 222-year-old coin under a few inches of soil outside a church in Maine.
Shane Houston, of Charlotte, North Carolina, was on a metal-detecting trip with a friend from New Hampshire when he found the coin earlier this month, the Bangor Daily News reported.
The copper penny, dated 1798, comes from the first decade of American-minted money in North America.
He said it was found on the grounds of a church in Embden where he had permission to use his metal detector.
The penny is not in pristine condition. Houston said it might fetch $200 but he has no intentions of selling it.
On the same trip, he also found an 1818 penny, a full wagon wheel and a musket ball. The ammunition was measured at 0.75 caliber, making it British in origin.
- Appeals Court Grants Expedited Review of Trump Campaign’s Pennsylvania Lawsuit November 23, 2020
- Gov. Andrew Cuomo Says Areas Face Red Zone Restrictions, Which Prohibit ‘Non-Essential Gatherings of Any Size’ November 23, 2020
- Texas Governor Rules Out Another Lockdown as Cases Surge November 23, 2020
- Hundreds of ‘Curfew Breakers’ Gather in Huntington Beach to Defy State Lockdown November 23, 2020
- Sidney Powell slammed by critics for alleging election conspiracy involving Gov. Kemp, Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders November 23, 2020
- Nolte: Oregon’s Democrat Governor Want Citizens to Snitch over Lockdown Violations November 23, 2020
- Rep. Tlaib faces renewed backlash for antisemitism before she’s to host a panel on combatting antisemitism November 23, 2020
- NJ Police Chief Will Not Enforce Governor’s “Draconian” Coronavirus Holiday Restrictions November 23, 2020
- Lou Dobbs Warned About “Venezuelan Controlled” Smartmatic in 2006 CNN Segment November 23, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Co-Founder Calls for “Prison Abolition” November 23, 2020