Michigan prosecutor dismisses over 1,600 of Whitmer’s unconstitutional COVID-19 orders
February 3, 2021 8:53 am
Tags: Coronavirus, COVID restrictions, COVID19, Featured, Gretchen Whitmer, Healthcare, Michigan, Politics
Categories: Coronavirus COVID restrictions COVID19 Featured Gretchen Whitmer Healthcare JoshWho News Michigan Politics Saraa Carter
A county prosecutor in Michigan announced Monday that she will dismiss more than 1,600 ordinance violations and misdemeanor citations involving violations of Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s coronavirus emergency orders that have been determined to violate the state Constitution.
The Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office (WCPO) released a statement citing a 1945 Michigan Supreme Court ruling that determined Whitmer did not have authority to issue or renew any COVID-19 state of emergency orders after April 30, 2020.
Prior to the ruling, the WCPO and Michigan law enforcement issued ordinance violations and misdemeanors to those who allegedly violated the emergency orders.
From April to October of 2020, Michigan police enforced emergency orders by the Whitmer administration that limited social gatherings, commerce and other activity.
Whitmer’s mandates were some of the most restrictive coronavirus policies in the country.
As a result of the ruling, the WCPO conducted a review of the violations and determined there was not a legal basis to proceed with them.
“WCPO will be dismissing all adjudicated cases and all pending cases,” the statement said.
“Governor Whitmer’s leadership has prevented many of our citizens from contracting COVID-19,” Prosecutor Kym Worthy said in the statement. “However, considering the Supreme Court’s decision, WCPO will no longer use criminal prosecution to enforce the Governor’s Executive Order. It is my earnest hope that people will continue to wear face masks, social distance, and quarantine when warranted.”
Follow Annaliese Levy on Twitter @AnnalieseLevy
- Could Biden Nominate Anti-Gun Activist David Chipman As “Gun Czar”? September 16, 2021
- COVID Hysteria Could Destroy A Generation September 16, 2021
- The Illusion Of Getting Rich While Producing Nothing September 16, 2021
- Report: John Durham Will Seek Indictment of Democratic Lawyer for Allegedly Lying to the F.B.I. During ‘Russian Collusion’ Investigation September 16, 2021
- Watch: Joe Biden Forgets Who He’s Talking To — Calls Australian PM ‘That Fella Down Under’ September 16, 2021
- Major UK Fertilizer Plants Shuttered Due To Skyrocketing Natural Gas Prices September 16, 2021
- Canada’s Conservatives Are Using Soaring Inflation To Help Defeat Trudeau September 15, 2021
- Mary Trump: Donald’s Entire Cabinet in ‘Dereliction of Its Duty’ for Not Invoking 25th Amendment September 15, 2021
- Bonds & Dollar Dump; Crypto Jumps As Debt-Ceiling Doubts Build September 15, 2021
- European Gas Prices Continue Parabolic Rise As EU Debates Nord Stream 2 Certification September 15, 2021
- Larry Elder, ‘Gracious in Defeat’: ‘We May Have Lost the Battle, but We Are Going to Win the War’ September 15, 2021
- Over Two-Thirds Of Businesses Worldwide Report Hiring Difficulties September 15, 2021
- WATCH – Gavin Newsom After Recall Victory: ‘We Said Yes to Science, We Said Yes to Vaccines’ September 15, 2021
- Gavin Newsom to Remain in Office; Democrats Want to Limit Future Recalls September 14, 2021
- Nikki Minaj Sparks MSM Meltdown After Suggesting Americans Think For Themselves About Vaccines September 14, 2021
- Nolte: Elites Violate Mask Mandate at Grotesque Met Gala September 14, 2021
- Biden, Newsom Continue Democrat Tradition of Blaming Climate Change for Wildfires September 14, 2021
- FBI Fires Lead Agent In Whitmer Kidnapping Case September 14, 2021
- Amnesty Alert: Bill ‘Blows Away All Numerical Limits’ on Employer-Based Green Cards — for an Entire Decade September 14, 2021
- A Father Speaks About the Death of his 16yr old son Ernest Ramirez Jr. after he received the COVID19 Vaccine September 13, 2021
- 1,659,671 hits