Mother’s Day This Year Means Getting Creative From Afar
NEW YORK—Treats made and delivered by neighbors. Fresh garden plantings dug from a safe 6 feet away. Trips around the world set up room-to-room at home.
Mother’s Day this year is a mix of love and extra imagination as families do without their usual brunches and huggy meet-ups.
As the pandemic persists in keeping families indoors or a safe social distance apart, online searches have increased for creative ways to still make moms feel special.
Absent help from schools and babysitters, uninitiated dads are on homemade craft duty with the kids. Other loved ones are navigating around no-visitor rules at hospitals and senior-living facilities.
Some medical facilities are pitching in by collecting voice and video recordings from locked-out relatives when patients are unable to manage the technology on their own.
In suburban St. Louis, Steve Turner and his family hope to FaceTime with his 96-year-old mother, Beverly, but they plan something more, too. Her birthday coincides with Mother’s Day this year.
“We’re going to create a big Mother’s Day-birthday banner signed by the kids and grandkids who live here,” Turner said. “She loves butterflies and we’ll draw some on. We’re working with the home to find a place where we can stand outside a window so she can see us.”
Anna Francese Gass in New Canaan, Connecticut, is hunkered down with her husband and three children and will enjoy her usual Mother’s Day breakfast in bed of rubbery eggs, slightly burnt toast and VERY milky coffee. But the day won’t include her own mom, who lives nearby.
“I ordered a bunch of daffodil and tulip bulbs online, and me and the kids are planning to plant them in her flowerbed. She can supervise from the window. I just know it will put a huge smile on her face,” Francese Gass said.
In Alameda, California, 23-year-old Zaria Zinn is sheltering at home with her parents and younger sister. Knowing how much their mother loves and misses traveling, they’re turning their house and neighborhood into a trip around the world with help from decorations and virtual tours online.
“We made a DIY passport for her and we’re creating stamps for each location,” she said.
Their itinerary: Machu Picchu, Paris and Iceland, with some DIY spa time and a Hollywood-style movie night.
Making the most of Mother’s Day in isolation is top of mind for Google search users. The company said the term “Mother’s Day gifts during quarantine” recently spiked by 600 percent in the U.S. Among Pinterest’s 335 million users, searches for “Mother’s Day at home” have jumped by 2,971 percent, the company said.
In Rochester, New York, Melissa Mueller-Douglas and her 7-year-old daughter, Nurah, had planned to get together with mom and daughter friends at a hotel for a Mother’s Day sleepover. When it was canceled because of the pandemic, they got busy on Pinterest searching for ideas to bring the party home, just the two of them.
They have eye masks with rhinestones to decorate, thread for mother-daughter bracelets, instant film for a photo shoot and a chocolate fountain purchased at Walmart. Dad and Nurah’s 3-year-old brother will paint together downstairs after a mom-son bike ride earlier in the day.
“We’ve repurposed a shimmery tablecloth and made giant flowers out of tissue paper for a photo shoot backdrop. We’ll be creating a secret handshake and writing in top secret journals to each other,” Mueller-Douglas said. “We’re calling it The Best Day Ever Slumber Party.”
Kayla Hockman, 26, in Los Angeles has been worried about her 77-year-old grandmother in Fontana, California, about 50 miles away. Usually, she and her sister treat her and their mom to brunch or anventure out.
“My grandma’s been quite depressed lately since she hasn’t left her house in two months, and she’s slowly losing hope,” Hockman said. “She and my grandpa have a lot of problems with walking now. This whole thing of not being able to see anyone has been really taking a hard toll on them.”
To cheer her up, they’re planning a party on her lawn.
“It’s going to be a surprise pop-up Mother’s Day brunch with `momosas’ and painting,” Hockman said. “We’re going to set it up for all of us to paint a sunflower, her absolute favorite. She’ll paint on her porch and we’ll be on the lawn, all 6 feet apart.”
Willie Greer in Memphis thought food, enlisting the help of a neighbor to make his mom’s recipe for pecan pie and deliver it to her in Dallas to brighten her isolation Mother’s Day. He said the neighbor was happy to do it after he sent her the recipe.
“My siblings and I will also create a ‘thank you’ video for mom. Since we can’t all be together, each of us will record a short message and at the end we’ll all sing ‘A Mother’s Love’ by Gena Hill,” he said. “I’m pretty sure this is the part where my mom cries her eyes out.”
These days, virtual experiences are all we have, so Lisa Hill in Portland, Oregon, decided to embrace that notion for her 79-year-old mom in Stuart, Florida, after she met a cooking instructor while volunteering to prepare meals at a shelter.
Hill has been cooking alongside Lauren Chandler, who has taken her usual in-home cooking sessions online with a twist: She’s throwing in a free 45-minute session for clients to donate.
“I feel so far away from her. I can’t cook for her. I can’t visit,” Hill said. “She’s nervous about everything going on right now and it will be a good social interaction.”
By Leanne Italie
Trending last 24 hours
- Police Search For Memphis Rioter Accused Of Strangling Stolen Puppy To Death Source: Twitter// @stillgray, Ian Mile Cheong Police... 673 views | 0 comments
- [Video] St. Louis man dragged to death by FedEx truck during protest: reports A man in St. Louis was dragged and killed by a FedEx truck early Saturday f... 138 views | 0 comments
- O’Keefe Strikes Again! Project Veritas Infiltrated Antifa and Will Release Undercover Footage Tomorrow Project Veritas has infiltrated Antifa. James O’Keefe announced Wednesday... 122 views | 0 comments
- [VIDEO] When “Anarchists” Try Rioting in the Suburbs Things Go Wrong Very Quickly If you’re a skinny white kid in a black hoodie, the burly men living in th... 105 views | 0 comments
- [VIDEO] Cult Like Crowd Of Hundreds Renounce Their “White Privilege” In Eerie Chant! I would never ask my neighbors or friends to chant something this ridiculo... 64 views | 0 comments
- Nancy Pelosi Admits to MSNBC: ‘Maybe They Didn’t Have Tear Gas’ Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) admitted to MSNBC’s Morning... 62 views | 0 comments
- Looters Clean Out High End Art Gallery on Melrose – Hoping to Add to their Personal Collections Looters are having a heyday like never before in several Democrat-run citie... 44 views | 0 comments
- Rapper Trina Blasted For Calling Looting Protesters ‘Animals That Escaped From A Zoo’ Rapper Trina is facing a backlash on social media for daring to c... 42 views | 0 comments
- Minn. attorney general announces additional charges in Floyd case FILE – In this Wednesday, May 27, 2020, file photo, Minnesota Attorney Gen... 40 views | 0 comments
- Black Lives Matter Goon Gets White Woman to Drop to Her Knees and Apologize for Being White A Black Lives Matter thug got a white woman to drop to her knees... 38 views | 0 comments
Trending This Week
- [VIDEO] Reported “Soros ANTIFA Organizer” Caught on Camera Directing Riot Activity and Paying Rioters A man who is widely thought to be a leader of Democra... 11,559 views | 0 comments
- [VIDEO] Protesters Film a Massive “Pile of Bricks” Left in Front of a Building For Them to Use to Smash Windows We should all realize by now that these attacks on De... 7,762 views | 0 comments
- BREAKING EXCLUSIVE: Minnesota Governor’s Daughter Hope Walz Was Tweeting Out Intel to Violent Looters and Rioters Just Like Ilhan Omar’s Daughter Isra Hirsi We knew from recent rallies and riots that it’s highl... 3,405 views | 0 comments
- Woman Found Dead in Car in Minneapolis Following Night of Kidnappings, Random Cars Being Shot At By Rioters A woman was found dead inside a car following... 1,439 views | 1 comment
- Savvy Internet Sleuths Discover “Coordinated Networks” of “Protesters” Some Wearing Earpieces, Being “Bussed” Into Cities Last night’s attacks across this country we’re coordin... 1,168 views | 0 comments
- PURE EVIL: Police Chief Breaks Down After Describing How Richmond Leftist Rioters Torched Home with Children inside Then Blocked Fire Department (VIDEO) The chief of the Richmond, Virginia, police department... 1,095 views | 0 comments
- Police Search For Memphis Rioter Accused Of Strangling Stolen Puppy To Death Source: Twitter// @stillgray, Ian Mile Cheong... 673 views | 0 comments
- German Gov’t Official Leaks Report Denouncing Covid-19 As ‘Global False Alarm’ A report drafted by a scientific panel appoin... 587 views | 2 comments
- You’re On Your Own: Raleigh Police Chief Says She Will Not Put Officers in Harm’s Way to Protect Property Raleigh Police Chief Cassandra Deck-Brown held a press... 586 views | 0 comments
- Mob ‘Justice’ Ends with Young Man Laying on Street in Broken, Twisted Mess The violence and looting that engulfed multiple citie... 529 views | 0 comments