New Jersey’s Democratic governor reverses transit ban on US flags after massive public blowback
New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy, a Democrat, ordered the Turnpike Authority to reverse its decision to take down U.S. flags after massive public outcry ahead of the 9/11 anniversary.
The New Jersey Turnpike Authority announced that it would no longer allow residents to hang the flags on overpasses and other public edifices after the agency explained that it could not continue maintaining the flags.
“The long-standing policy of the New Jersey Turnpike Authority has been to prohibit the display of any flags, signs, or banners by private parties on Turnpike Authority property. While we appreciate the desire of some New Jersey residents to express their patriotism in these turbulent times by displaying flags on Turnpike and Parkway overpasses, Turnpike Authority regulations do not allow it, and for good reason,” the Turnpike Authority said in a statement on Facebook.
‘We should be proud of flying our flag’
After residents and veterans groups objected loudly to the order, Murphy relented on Tuesday.
“I don’t like it,” said Murphy when asked about it on a morning talk show at WPG radio. “Our flag represents the greatest nation in the history of the world, and that doesn’t mean we’re perfect, because we’re not, but we are a great nation, and my gut tells me that we should be proud of flying our flag.”
Murphy said that he had not heard of the issue before he was asked about it on the radio show. Later at a coronavirus update briefing, he said that the flag ban had been suspended, even if only temporarily.
“At least for the time being, the Turnpike Authority has suspended that,” he said.
Many of the flags were put up after the Islamic terrorist attacks on 9/11 and had been maintained by residents and other groups for nearly 20 years. One town had planned to defy the transit order and replace the flags in a ceremony with the mayor’s approval on September 11.
Here’s a local news report about the backlash:
New Jersey State Agency Faces Backlash Over Plans To Remove American Flags From Highway Overpasses www.youtube.com
- Bill Maher Rips Woke Mentality Now Driving Olympic Games: “Belongs In Stalin’s Russia” August 1, 2021
- Brandon Smith: Why Are Globalists And Governments So Desperate For 100% Vaccination Rates? July 31, 2021
- Gavin Newsom: Democrats will face ‘Profound Consequences Nationwide’ in 2022 if Recall Successful July 31, 2021
- Larry Elder Rallies Beach Crowd in L.A. to Recall Gov. Gavin Newsom July 31, 2021
- Wildfires Are Coming For Wine, Weed, And Christmas July 31, 2021
- Carney: Fear of the Delta Variant Threatens to Stop Schools from Opening July 31, 2021
- Goldman Flow Desk Weekly Recap July 31, 2021
- Germany Blames Iran For Stalling Nuclear Talks: “Moving Further & Further Away” July 31, 2021
- Schlichter: Imagine If They Hadn’t Lied To Us For The Last 18 Months July 30, 2021
- Western Governors Call For Federal Aid To Fight Wildfires During Meeting With Biden July 30, 2021
- Biden Presses Schools to Hold ‘Pop-Up Clinics’ to Vaccinate Children 12 and Up July 30, 2021
- Joe Biden: Expect More Coronavirus Restrictions ‘In All Probability’ July 30, 2021
- CDC Director: ‘We’re Looking Into’ Federal Vaccine Mandate July 30, 2021
- Olympic Gold… Is Silver July 30, 2021
- Blue Glacier Publishes ‘Red Team’ Report on Cybercrime and Anti-Vaccination Militancy July 30, 2021
- Arkansas Judge Orders Unemployment Stimmies To Continue Despite 40,000 Vacant Jobs July 30, 2021
- 1.6 Billion Disposable Masks Entered Our Oceans In 2020 July 30, 2021
- How US And Russian Nuclear Arsenals Evolved July 29, 2021
- CNN’s Lemon: Time to Blame ‘Selfish’ Unvaccinated — Can’t Be Allowed in Offices, Gyms, Airplanes July 29, 2021
- GOP Rep. Nunes: ‘Pelosi Has Managed to Completely Burn Down This Institution’ July 29, 2021
- 1,653,347 hits