North Carolina GOP Censures Sen. Richard Burr for Voting to Convict Donald Trump on Impeachment Charges
February 15, 2021 10:24 pm
Tags: capitol riots, incitement, law and order, Midterm Election, North Carolina, Politics, Richard Burr
Categories: Breitbart News capitol riots incitement JoshWho News law and order Midterm Election North Carolina Politics Richard Burr
The Central Committee of the North Carolina Republican Party censured Sen. Richard Burr Monday evening for his impeachment vote.
The statement said, “The NCGOP agree with the strong majority of Republicans in both the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate that the Democrat-led attempt to impeach a former President lies outside the United States Constitution.”
Sen. Burr was one of seven Republican senators that voted to convict Mr. Trump, siding with the majority of senators in a hotly disputed legal argument as to whether or not it is constitutional to impeach a former president.
“Now that the Senate has voted to acquit President Trump, we hope that Democrats will set aside their divisive partisan agenda and focus on the American priorities of tackling the COVID-19 pandemic, safely reopening schools and restarting the economy,” the statement concludes.
The Senate on Saturday acquitted Trump of incitement of insurrection following the Jan. 6 storming of the Capitol by a vote of 57-43, failing by 10 votes to get the required two-thirds for conviction.
All Senate Democrats supported the conviction.
In defense of his vote, Sen. Burr said, “The evidence is compelling that President Trump is guilty of inciting an insurrection against a coequal branch of government and that the charge rises to the level of Crimes and Misdemeanors. Therefore, I have voted to convict.”
The censure by the NCGOP comes after Sen. Lindsey Graham exclaimed the “biggest winner” of Trump’s impeachment trial was the former president’s daughter-in-law, Lara Trump.
Graham said on Fox News:
My dear friend Richard Burr, who I like and have been friends to a long time, just made Lara Trump almost the certain nominee for the Senate seat in North Carolina to replace him if she runs. And I certainly will be behind her because she represents the future of the Republican Party.”
Senator Jeff Jackson (D-NC) replied:
ICYMI: Lindsey Graham just endorsed Lara Trump for this Senate seat.
We aren’t going to take this lightly, and we hope that you won’t either.
This isn’t just a matter of policy and politics.
This is about our self-respect as a state.
— Sen. Jeff Jackson (@JeffJacksonNC) February 14, 2021
The political fallout in North Caroline GOP politics from Sen. Burr’s surprise decision may just be beginning.
- Report: ‘Fragile’ Democrats Face Dire 2022 Prospects October 18, 2021
- One Bank Reveals The Dismal Truth About The $150 Trillion Crusade Against Climate Change October 18, 2021
- State Department Inspector General Will Investigate President Biden’s Botched Afghanistan Pullout October 18, 2021
- Fraternal Uprising: College Students Reject ‘Surveillance State’ Coronavirus Restrictions October 18, 2021
- Colin Powell Died from COVID Booster Shot Complications at age 84— He Was Fully Vaccinated October 18, 2021
- Peter Schiff: Stock Up Now! Inflation Could Get Very Ugly October 18, 2021
- Investors Starting To Realize “Stagflation” Is A Problem October 18, 2021
- Beijing, Moscow, Ankara Push US Out Of Red Sea Dominance October 18, 2021
- WATCH– President Biden Violates Mask Mandate in D.C. October 17, 2021
- 40% Of California State Workers Are Unvaccinated Despite Newsom’s Order October 17, 2021
- Donald Trump Mocks Biden Corruption: ‘Hunter Has Inspired Me to Begin Painting’ October 17, 2021
- China Stuns U.S. Intelligence with Hypersonic Missile Test October 17, 2021
- Taibbi: Yes, Virginia, There Is A Deep State October 17, 2021
- Coal Generation In UK Jumps As Wind Speed Drops October 17, 2021
- David Hogg Rebuked Again, Youth Gun Sports Leagues See “Record-Setting” Participation October 16, 2021
- Report: Cori Bush Defends Defund Police Push While Spending $130,000 on Personal Security, Including Cops October 16, 2021
- Marlow: ‘A Semi-Responsible Media’ Would Constantly Press Buttigieg for any ‘Reasonable Explanation’ for Economic Problems October 16, 2021
- Poll: Joe Biden’s Job Approval Hits New Low at 36 Percent October 16, 2021
- International Space Station Briefly Destabilized After Accidental Russian Rocket Firing October 16, 2021
- Huge Dock Worker Protests In Italy, Fears Of Disruption, As Covid ‘Green Pass’ Takes Effect October 16, 2021
- 1,663,000 hits