North Carolina Senatorial Nominee Cal Cunningham Says He Is ‘Hesitant’ To Take An Eventual Coronavirus Vaccine
September 14, 2020 9:31 pm
Tags: Cal Cunningham, Daily Caller News Foundation, North Carolina, Thom Tillis, Uncategorized
Categories: Cal Cunningham Daily Caller Daily Caller News Foundation North Carolina Thom Tillis Uncategorized
A Democratic senatorial nominee said Monday that he would be hesitant to take a coronavirus vaccine if it were approved before the end of the year.
“I’ve got questions,” Cal Cunningham, who’s running for Senate in North Carolina, said during a debate against GOP Sen. Thom Tillis. Cunningham expressed concern over “politics intervening in what should be driven by health and science.”
Wow – Cunningham indicates he won’t take a coronavirus vaccine if one is made available: “I’ve got questions” because he’s seen “politics intervening in what should be driven by health and science.”
“Yes, I would be hesitant.” #ncsen
— Seung Min Kim (@seungminkim) September 14, 2020
“Yes, I would be hesitant,” he said after the moderator asked if that meant he’d be hesitate to take any vaccine approved by the end of the year. He said politics has “intervened” with the “Centers for Disease Control [and Prevention]’s suggestions and recommendations on how we deal with this pandemic,” seemingly referring to a Politico report alleging that the Trump administration had interfered with the agency’s coronavirus reports.
He said he would traditionally have confidence in the Food and Drug Administration.
Tillis called Cunningham’s answer “irresponsible.”
“We just heard a candidate for the United States Senate look into the camera and tell 10 million North Carolinians he would be hesitant to take a vaccine,” he said. “We are not going to release a vaccine that the gold standard of the FDA doesn’t require.”
Cunningham, a veteran and former member of the state Senate, noted that Tillis has received more than $400,000 from pharmaceutical companies, Fox 46 reported.
Cunningham and Tillis are locked in one of the closest Senate races this cycle, polls show. While Cunningham holds a narrow lead over his opponent, according to FiveThiryEight’s polling average, Tillis has tightened the gap from the beginning of the summer. (RELATED: Mail Voting Begins As North Carolina Sends Out Absentee Ballots)
The race could play a pivotal role in determining which party holds the majority come 2021. North Carolina is also one of the closest presidential battlegrounds in the nation, with Democratic nominee Joe Biden leading President Donald Trump by just over one point, according to recent polls.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected].
- Beijing Denounces Video Games As “Spiritual Opium”, Tencent Tumbles After Imposing Limits August 3, 2021
- Escobar: The Taliban Go To Tianjin August 2, 2021
- Ed Markey and Squad Sing ‘Communist’ Song ‘This Land Is Your Land’ August 2, 2021
- Pandemic Performance: AOC Masks up for Photo with Supporters August 2, 2021
- The Internet Celebrates the Collapse of the Left’s Woke Olympic Icons August 2, 2021
- Evictions Start With Nancy Pelosi & The House On A 7-Week Break August 2, 2021
- A Grossly Defective Product. How Strong Is The Economy Really? August 2, 2021
- Millions Locked Down As China Battles Worst COVID Outbreak Since Wuhan August 2, 2021
- The Road To Totalitarianism August 1, 2021
- Bipartisan ‘Infrastructure’ Bill Allows Feds to Bypass ‘Buy American’ Rules, Outsource U.S. Manufacturing August 1, 2021
- Senators Finally Introduce ‘Infrastructure’ Bill After Unauthorized Leak to Breitbart News August 1, 2021
- Exclusive: Bipartisan So-Called ‘Infrastructure’ Bill 2,700 Pages Long August 1, 2021
- Key Cryptocurrency Developments And Updates From JPMorgan August 1, 2021
- Bill Maher Rips Woke Mentality Now Driving Olympic Games: “Belongs In Stalin’s Russia” August 1, 2021
- Brandon Smith: Why Are Globalists And Governments So Desperate For 100% Vaccination Rates? July 31, 2021
- Gavin Newsom: Democrats will face ‘Profound Consequences Nationwide’ in 2022 if Recall Successful July 31, 2021
- Larry Elder Rallies Beach Crowd in L.A. to Recall Gov. Gavin Newsom July 31, 2021
- Wildfires Are Coming For Wine, Weed, And Christmas July 31, 2021
- Carney: Fear of the Delta Variant Threatens to Stop Schools from Opening July 31, 2021
- Goldman Flow Desk Weekly Recap July 31, 2021
- 1,653,527 hits