Rand Paul argued sentence for the neighbor who broke his ribs was too lenient, and a judge just agreed
Rene Boucher was convicted of assaulting a member of Congress in the November 2017 attack where he tackled Paul from the back over a dispute about yard work. He broke the senator’s ribs and left him with a “significant injury that I have lifelong symptoms from,” according to a statement in court by Paul.
In the original sentencing, Boucher was given 30 days in jail, a $1,000 fine, and 100 hours of community service. But Paul appealed the sentence, saying it was far too lenient. Prosecutors sought 21 to 27 months in prison for Boucher.
District Court Judge Matthew Leitman agreed to extend Boucher’s sentence to an additional eight months. He will also be ordered to home confinement for six months.
Boucher was also ordered to pay the senator more than $580,000 in damages from a judgment in civil court.
“A momentary lapse in judgment”
The man, who is Paul’s neighbor, explained previously that the attack was a result of his anger and frustration over the senator stacking yard waste on his own lawn but near Boucher’s property. He admitted that he tackled Paul from behind after he had “had enough” of his actions.
Boucher has said he was embarrassed by his actions.
“He’s lived 60 years without a hiccup,” said Boucher’s lawyer in 2018, “and this was unfortunately a very bad mistake to have been made. He’s very sorry about it.”
“I think this is a real example of how a momentary lapse in judgment, just 20 to 30 seconds of poor decision making can have such a profound impact, not only on Senator Paul, but also Dr. Boucher,” he concluded.
Paul said that doctors told him they had never seen the kind of injuries he received from that kind of attack, and said they more closely resembled injuries from a car accident.
“I don’t know what a night without pain is like or what a day without pain is like, so I do suffer from this,” Paul said of his injuries.
“This was no routine altercation,” he added. “This was no sort of face-to-face, man-to-man thing.”
Here’s Paul’s reaction to the previous sentence:
Sen. Rand Paul speaks out about neighbor’s assault, jail sentence www.youtube.com
- Bill Maher Rips Woke Mentality Now Driving Olympic Games: “Belongs In Stalin’s Russia” August 1, 2021
- Brandon Smith: Why Are Globalists And Governments So Desperate For 100% Vaccination Rates? July 31, 2021
- Gavin Newsom: Democrats will face ‘Profound Consequences Nationwide’ in 2022 if Recall Successful July 31, 2021
- Larry Elder Rallies Beach Crowd in L.A. to Recall Gov. Gavin Newsom July 31, 2021
- Wildfires Are Coming For Wine, Weed, And Christmas July 31, 2021
- Carney: Fear of the Delta Variant Threatens to Stop Schools from Opening July 31, 2021
- Goldman Flow Desk Weekly Recap July 31, 2021
- Germany Blames Iran For Stalling Nuclear Talks: “Moving Further & Further Away” July 31, 2021
- Schlichter: Imagine If They Hadn’t Lied To Us For The Last 18 Months July 30, 2021
- Western Governors Call For Federal Aid To Fight Wildfires During Meeting With Biden July 30, 2021
- Biden Presses Schools to Hold ‘Pop-Up Clinics’ to Vaccinate Children 12 and Up July 30, 2021
- Joe Biden: Expect More Coronavirus Restrictions ‘In All Probability’ July 30, 2021
- CDC Director: ‘We’re Looking Into’ Federal Vaccine Mandate July 30, 2021
- Olympic Gold… Is Silver July 30, 2021
- Blue Glacier Publishes ‘Red Team’ Report on Cybercrime and Anti-Vaccination Militancy July 30, 2021
- Arkansas Judge Orders Unemployment Stimmies To Continue Despite 40,000 Vacant Jobs July 30, 2021
- 1.6 Billion Disposable Masks Entered Our Oceans In 2020 July 30, 2021
- How US And Russian Nuclear Arsenals Evolved July 29, 2021
- CNN’s Lemon: Time to Blame ‘Selfish’ Unvaccinated — Can’t Be Allowed in Offices, Gyms, Airplanes July 29, 2021
- GOP Rep. Nunes: ‘Pelosi Has Managed to Completely Burn Down This Institution’ July 29, 2021
- 1,653,346 hits