Report: Supreme Court Will Consider Kentucky Abortion Case
March 29, 2021 10:55 pm
Tags: abortion, Daniel Cameron, John Roberts, Kentucky, Marjorie Dannenfelser, Matt Bevin, Podcast, Science, SCOTUS, sixth circuit, Supreme Court
Categories: abortion Breitbart News Daniel Cameron John Roberts JoshWho News Kentucky Marjorie Dannenfelser Matt Bevin Podcast Science SCOTUS sixth circuit Supreme Court
The U.S. Supreme Court will hear its first abortion case since the balance shifted to a 6-3 court.
The High Court agreed to intervene in a lawsuit over a state abortion ban after Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron asked the Court to do so. “This case began as a challenge to a Kentucky statute regulating abortion, but it is now a dispute about a State’s authority to ensure that its laws are fully defended through this Court,” according to the case.
With the original abortion case blocked by the Sixth Circuit, Cameron is challenging the federal courts’ ability to override state law, which the Court has agreed to do based on the “dual-sovereign system of government.”
The High Court only agreed to hear the case on the latter procedural question, avoiding the basis of the original case, which weighed Kentucky’s 2018 prohibition of a “law prohibiting abortions in which an unborn child is dismembered while still alive.”
The original case was previously approved by former Governor Matt Bevin to be challenged but was obstructed by lower courts that refused to allow a petition even to be filed. The case was then appealed by conservative Cameron to the Supreme Court on the basis that “States have a substantial interest in enforcing their laws. In recognition of this fact, the States get to decide for themselves who defends their laws in court.”
In support of the case, Susan B. Anthony’s List President Marjorie Dannenfelser released the following statement:
It is encouraging news that the Supreme Court will hear this case. We commend Attorney General Daniel Cameron for doing everything in his power to defend Kentucky’s pro-life laws, including its ban on barbaric live-dismemberment abortions, which was enacted with overwhelming bipartisan support. State legislators acting on the will of the people have both the duty and the right to protect their most vulnerable citizens – born and unborn. We look forward to seeing this right upheld.
Cameron initially asked the justices to reconsider the legality of the Kentucky law in view of a previous Supreme Court ruling on a Louisiana law, which Republicans believe may lead the way for pro-life policies.
Through a swing vote by Chief Justice John Roberts on the case, the Court struck down the Louisiana law that pro-abortion opponents said, “could have forced all but one of the state’s abortion providers to close.”
The case is Cameron v. EMW Women’s Surgical Center, No. 19-5516 in the Supreme Court of the United States.
- International Space Station Briefly Destabilized After Accidental Russian Rocket Firing October 16, 2021
- Huge Dock Worker Protests In Italy, Fears Of Disruption, As Covid ‘Green Pass’ Takes Effect October 16, 2021
- Bovard: When Barack Obama Got Away With Murder October 15, 2021
- Rivera on Unvaccinated Kyrie Irving: ‘I Am Mad’ — ‘He’s Hurting Everybody’ October 15, 2021
- Joe Biden Wants Justice Department to Prosecute Trump Loyalists Defying Congressional Subpoenas October 15, 2021
- Flooding In West China Destroys Agricultural Production October 15, 2021
- Report: Hunter Biden Said Offer from Powerful Chinese Investor Had ‘Everything to Do with My Last Name’ October 15, 2021
- Bill Clinton Hospitalized For Infection That Spread To Bloodstream October 15, 2021
- Cryptos Surge On News SEC “Set To Allow” Bitcoin Futures ETF October 15, 2021
- Treasury Official Warns Using Stablecoins For Payments “Raises A Whole Set Of Issues” October 14, 2021
- Biden’s Court-packing Commission Blames Republicans for Polarization over Judiciary October 14, 2021
- Poll: Americans Are Increasingly Wary of Government Overreach Under Biden October 14, 2021
- Justice Breyer Calls SCOTUS ‘Fallible’ as Leftists Seek to Pack the Court October 14, 2021
- Putin: $100 Oil Is “Quite Possible” October 14, 2021
- The Great New Normal Purge October 13, 2021
- Trump: ‘Republicans Will Not Be Voting’ in Future Elections Unless 2020 Fraud Resolved October 13, 2021
- Charles Hurt: Sorry Republican Swamp Creatures, the Trump Train Rolls On October 13, 2021
- Joe Biden Blames Private Companies for Port Delays October 13, 2021
- Stellar Demand For 30Y Auction As Curve Comes Crashing Down October 13, 2021
- FDA Says No Need For Boosters As Moderna, J&J Plead Case October 13, 2021
- 1,662,658 hits