REPORT: The NBA Is Aiming For Games To Return In ‘Late July/Early August’
May 28, 2020 6:53 am
Tags: Coronavirus, DC Exclusives - Opinion, Disney, Editorial, National Basketball Association, Smoke Room, Smoke Room Cross Post, Video
Categories: Coronavirus DC Exclusives - Opinion Disney Editorial National Basketball Association Smoke Room Smoke Room Cross Post The Daily Caller Video
The NBA is reportedly still a couple of months away from games returning.
The league has been hammering out a deal with Disney to have games in Orlando, and Shams Charania reported Wednesday afternoon games are likely to return in “late July/early August.” (RELATED: David Hookstead Is The True King In The North When It Comes To College Football)
Under the current plan, training camps would be held in local markets before moving to Orlando for games during the coronavirus pandemic.
Sources: The NBA is working on multi-phase medical/safety protocols toward restart of play. Current projections have in-market training camps in July, then camps/scrimmages in Orlando, then resume play late July/early August.
— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) May 27, 2020
However, not all players are super pumped about heading to Disney. According to Sam Amick, there is “grumbling from agents about the potential for huge disparity in hotel quality” down in Orlando.
As @TheSteinLine noted, it appears there is some concern about accommodations for all 30 teams at Walt Disney World. I’ve heard some grumbling from agents about the potential for huge disparity in hotel quality https://t.co/mSJECnhJHB
— Sam Amick (@sam_amick) May 27, 2020
There are two major points to be made. First and foremost, returning by late July is probably too late for the NBA to be in a good position.
By that time, they’re going to end up competing with the NFL and college football for eyeballs starting in September.
That’s going to be a disaster. The NBA simply can’t compete with football and expect people to watch. It’s just not going to happen.
Secondly, the fact NBA players are reportedly complaining about accommodations in Orlando is laugh-out-loud funny.
I could sleep in a shack for an NBA salary and still be satisfied. Tens of millions of people are out of work and NBA players are worried about if their hotels are nice enough.
If that’s not the definition of being tone-deaf, then I don’t know what is.
We’ll see what happens, but I wouldn’t say things are looking great for the NBA right now.
- International Space Station Briefly Destabilized After Accidental Russian Rocket Firing October 16, 2021
- Huge Dock Worker Protests In Italy, Fears Of Disruption, As Covid ‘Green Pass’ Takes Effect October 16, 2021
- Bovard: When Barack Obama Got Away With Murder October 15, 2021
- Rivera on Unvaccinated Kyrie Irving: ‘I Am Mad’ — ‘He’s Hurting Everybody’ October 15, 2021
- Joe Biden Wants Justice Department to Prosecute Trump Loyalists Defying Congressional Subpoenas October 15, 2021
- Flooding In West China Destroys Agricultural Production October 15, 2021
- Report: Hunter Biden Said Offer from Powerful Chinese Investor Had ‘Everything to Do with My Last Name’ October 15, 2021
- Bill Clinton Hospitalized For Infection That Spread To Bloodstream October 15, 2021
- Cryptos Surge On News SEC “Set To Allow” Bitcoin Futures ETF October 15, 2021
- Treasury Official Warns Using Stablecoins For Payments “Raises A Whole Set Of Issues” October 14, 2021
- Biden’s Court-packing Commission Blames Republicans for Polarization over Judiciary October 14, 2021
- Poll: Americans Are Increasingly Wary of Government Overreach Under Biden October 14, 2021
- Justice Breyer Calls SCOTUS ‘Fallible’ as Leftists Seek to Pack the Court October 14, 2021
- Putin: $100 Oil Is “Quite Possible” October 14, 2021
- The Great New Normal Purge October 13, 2021
- Trump: ‘Republicans Will Not Be Voting’ in Future Elections Unless 2020 Fraud Resolved October 13, 2021
- Charles Hurt: Sorry Republican Swamp Creatures, the Trump Train Rolls On October 13, 2021
- Joe Biden Blames Private Companies for Port Delays October 13, 2021
- Stellar Demand For 30Y Auction As Curve Comes Crashing Down October 13, 2021
- FDA Says No Need For Boosters As Moderna, J&J Plead Case October 13, 2021
- 1,662,659 hits