Restaurant and Hotel Workers Hit with Devastating Layoffs in November
January 12, 2021 8:32 pm
Tags: Coronavirus, Economy, hotels, JOLTS, layoffs, lockdowns, restaurants
Categories: Breitbart News Coronavirus Economy hotels JOLTS JoshWho News layoffs lockdowns restaurants
The steep toll of the resurgent pandemic on workers in the hotel and restaurant sector came into view Tuesday in a government report detailing layoffs in November.
Earlier reports, such as jobless claims numbers and the nonfarm payroll figures released on the first Friday of each month, had shown that layoffs were on the rise and hiring had softened. But those broad figures concealed just how deep the cuts were for hotel and restaurants workers.
Layoffs soared from just 130,000 in October to 393,000 in November, according to the Job Opening and Labor Turnover Survey released Tusday. To put that into historical context, if not for the record-breaking numbers hit in March and April, November would have been the worst month recorded in government data going back to December 2000.
On average over the first twenty years of this century, around 212,000 workers lost their jobs as restaurants or hotels closed their doors. Outside of recessions, the number was typically much lower.
The relative strength of much of the rest of the economy may have concealed some of the pain for the industry, at least in the big aggregate numbers often cited by economists, analysts, and pundits. Layoffs in mining, construction, and manufacturing were either down or little changed in the month. Layoffs declined in retail sales and shipping. Professional, business and financial sector layoffs rose but not by much. Government layoffs fell.
It was really in the restaurant and hotels where November’s pain was concentrated. Even arts and recreation layoffs held steady.
- When The Levee Breaks… September 20, 2021
- If Only We Could Find A Cure For Trump Derangement Syndrome September 19, 2021
- The Fed Has Liquidated Its Entire Corporate Bond Portfolio September 19, 2021
- Report: Secondary Schools in Afghanistan Open Without Female Students or Teachers September 19, 2021
- U.S., Mexico Begin Removal Flights for Haitian Migrants September 19, 2021
- Report: Beto O’Rourke Eyes Political Comeback in Texas Gubernatorial Race September 19, 2021
- Rickards: No Recovery Until 2045? September 19, 2021
- Kadish: Is It Puppeteers Or Puppets In Control In Washington? September 18, 2021
- Hospital Staff That Decline COVID Vaccine For Religious Reasons Must Attest To Also Swearing Off Tylenol, Tums, & Other Common Meds September 18, 2021
- ‘Justice for J6’: Protesters Call for Due Process for Capitol Attack Detainees September 18, 2021
- Mexican State Cops Stop Buses with Caribbean Migrants Headed for Border, They Kept Walking September 18, 2021
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Venezuelan, Colombian Migrants Cross Border Upstream from Del Rio Migrant Camp September 18, 2021
- Could Biden Nominate Anti-Gun Activist David Chipman As “Gun Czar”? September 16, 2021
- COVID Hysteria Could Destroy A Generation September 16, 2021
- The Illusion Of Getting Rich While Producing Nothing September 16, 2021
- Report: John Durham Will Seek Indictment of Democratic Lawyer for Allegedly Lying to the F.B.I. During ‘Russian Collusion’ Investigation September 16, 2021
- Watch: Joe Biden Forgets Who He’s Talking To — Calls Australian PM ‘That Fella Down Under’ September 16, 2021
- Major UK Fertilizer Plants Shuttered Due To Skyrocketing Natural Gas Prices September 16, 2021
- Canada’s Conservatives Are Using Soaring Inflation To Help Defeat Trudeau September 15, 2021
- Mary Trump: Donald’s Entire Cabinet in ‘Dereliction of Its Duty’ for Not Invoking 25th Amendment September 15, 2021
- 1,659,909 hits