Sen. Tillis announces cancer diagnosis, expects ‘full recovery’
March 29, 2021 12:24 pm
Tags: Cancer, Featured, Nation, North Carolina, Politics, Senate, Thom Tillis
Categories: Cancer Featured JoshWho News Nation North Carolina Politics Saraa Carter Senate Thom Tillis
North Carolina Sen. Thom Tillis (R), months after squeaking out a reelection win, announced that he has been diagnosed with prostate cancer and will undergo surgery next week.
“I am in the hands of outstanding medical professionals and expect to make a full recovery,” Tillis said in a Monday statement.
“I am blessed that my cancer was detected relatively early, and I can’t emphasize enough how important routine screenings are, regardless of how healthy you think you are,” he continued. “I had no symptoms and would have never imagined I had cancer.”
About one in eight men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetimes, according to Cancer.org.
“My prognosis is good because I went to my annual physical and received a PSA test, which led to a biopsy and eventually my diagnosis,” Tillis also said in the statement. “Early detection can truly save lives.”
The 60-year-old Tillis has served in the Senate since 2015 and beat Democrat Cal Cunningham back in November by less than two percentage points.
The full Senate will not convene again until mid-April, according to NBC News. Although, the outlet notes that it is unclear whether the North Carolina senator will miss any votes in the upper chamber, where it is split 50-50 and Vice President Kamala Harris serves as the tie-breaking vote.
You can follow Douglas Braff on Twitter @Douglas_P_Braff.
- Report: ‘Fragile’ Democrats Face Dire 2022 Prospects October 18, 2021
- One Bank Reveals The Dismal Truth About The $150 Trillion Crusade Against Climate Change October 18, 2021
- State Department Inspector General Will Investigate President Biden’s Botched Afghanistan Pullout October 18, 2021
- Fraternal Uprising: College Students Reject ‘Surveillance State’ Coronavirus Restrictions October 18, 2021
- Colin Powell Died from COVID Booster Shot Complications at age 84— He Was Fully Vaccinated October 18, 2021
- Peter Schiff: Stock Up Now! Inflation Could Get Very Ugly October 18, 2021
- Investors Starting To Realize “Stagflation” Is A Problem October 18, 2021
- Beijing, Moscow, Ankara Push US Out Of Red Sea Dominance October 18, 2021
- WATCH– President Biden Violates Mask Mandate in D.C. October 17, 2021
- 40% Of California State Workers Are Unvaccinated Despite Newsom’s Order October 17, 2021
- Donald Trump Mocks Biden Corruption: ‘Hunter Has Inspired Me to Begin Painting’ October 17, 2021
- China Stuns U.S. Intelligence with Hypersonic Missile Test October 17, 2021
- Taibbi: Yes, Virginia, There Is A Deep State October 17, 2021
- Coal Generation In UK Jumps As Wind Speed Drops October 17, 2021
- David Hogg Rebuked Again, Youth Gun Sports Leagues See “Record-Setting” Participation October 16, 2021
- Report: Cori Bush Defends Defund Police Push While Spending $130,000 on Personal Security, Including Cops October 16, 2021
- Marlow: ‘A Semi-Responsible Media’ Would Constantly Press Buttigieg for any ‘Reasonable Explanation’ for Economic Problems October 16, 2021
- Poll: Joe Biden’s Job Approval Hits New Low at 36 Percent October 16, 2021
- International Space Station Briefly Destabilized After Accidental Russian Rocket Firing October 16, 2021
- Huge Dock Worker Protests In Italy, Fears Of Disruption, As Covid ‘Green Pass’ Takes Effect October 16, 2021
- 1,663,000 hits