Senate Approves $1.9 Trillion COVID-19 Stimulus Package on Party-Line Vote
March 6, 2021 12:08 pm
Tags: $1.9 trillioin, CCP Virus, Congress, COVID, Democrats, Politics, Stimulus, US, US News
Categories: $1.9 trillioin CCP Virus Congress COVID Democrats Epoch Times JoshWho News Politics Stimulus US US News
All 50 Democrats voted for the relief bill while all Republicans but one absent voted against the bill.
The bill, also known as the American Rescue Plan or H.R. 1319, was passed by the House on Feb. 27 by a vote of 219–212, with all Republicans and two Democrats voting against it.
The Senate was able to pass the bill after several amendments. The bill will be returned to the House for reconciliation which is expected to happen early next week.
The amendments adopted by the Senate included removing the $15 minimum wage, reducing the unemployment bonus on top of the usual unemployment benefit from $400 to $300 per week, and extending the payment of extra unemployment benefit to Sept. 6.
With 50 Democrats and 50 Republicans in the Senate, Vice President Kamala Harris is supposed to break the tie if the Senate votes on a party line. However, Sen. Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska) left Washington on Friday to his home state for a family funeral and enabled the Senate Democrats to pass the bill without help from Harris.
The House and Senate Republicans refused to vote for the stimulus package for various reasons. Republicans said the bill is not targeted, with only nine percent spending directly related to the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus pandemic, is infiltrated with leftists’ agenda, and is moved forward without nearly any input from the Republican side.
“Senate Democrats just managed to pass their bloated spending bill disguised as ‘COVID relief.’ This is the first COVID bill to be entirely partisan because it isn’t designed to help end the pandemic—it’s a blatant attempt from Dems to jam through a partisan wish list,” Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), the Senate Republican Whip, wrote in a Twitter post after the passage of the relief bill.
“This boondoggle of a bill is a case study in the pitfalls of pure partisanship. Democrats set the record for the longest recorded vote in modern history because it wasn’t ready for primetime,” he added.
The White House appears to be satisfied with the stimulus bill as amended.
White House spokesperson Jen Psaki told reporters on Friday, before the passage of the bill, that the relief bill remains ‘incredibly progressive’ despite Senate compromises.
Tom Ozimek and Ivan Pentchoukov contributed to the report.
- Could Biden Nominate Anti-Gun Activist David Chipman As “Gun Czar”? September 16, 2021
- COVID Hysteria Could Destroy A Generation September 16, 2021
- The Illusion Of Getting Rich While Producing Nothing September 16, 2021
- Report: John Durham Will Seek Indictment of Democratic Lawyer for Allegedly Lying to the F.B.I. During ‘Russian Collusion’ Investigation September 16, 2021
- Watch: Joe Biden Forgets Who He’s Talking To — Calls Australian PM ‘That Fella Down Under’ September 16, 2021
- Major UK Fertilizer Plants Shuttered Due To Skyrocketing Natural Gas Prices September 16, 2021
- Canada’s Conservatives Are Using Soaring Inflation To Help Defeat Trudeau September 15, 2021
- Mary Trump: Donald’s Entire Cabinet in ‘Dereliction of Its Duty’ for Not Invoking 25th Amendment September 15, 2021
- Bonds & Dollar Dump; Crypto Jumps As Debt-Ceiling Doubts Build September 15, 2021
- European Gas Prices Continue Parabolic Rise As EU Debates Nord Stream 2 Certification September 15, 2021
- Larry Elder, ‘Gracious in Defeat’: ‘We May Have Lost the Battle, but We Are Going to Win the War’ September 15, 2021
- Over Two-Thirds Of Businesses Worldwide Report Hiring Difficulties September 15, 2021
- WATCH – Gavin Newsom After Recall Victory: ‘We Said Yes to Science, We Said Yes to Vaccines’ September 15, 2021
- Gavin Newsom to Remain in Office; Democrats Want to Limit Future Recalls September 14, 2021
- Nikki Minaj Sparks MSM Meltdown After Suggesting Americans Think For Themselves About Vaccines September 14, 2021
- Nolte: Elites Violate Mask Mandate at Grotesque Met Gala September 14, 2021
- Biden, Newsom Continue Democrat Tradition of Blaming Climate Change for Wildfires September 14, 2021
- FBI Fires Lead Agent In Whitmer Kidnapping Case September 14, 2021
- Amnesty Alert: Bill ‘Blows Away All Numerical Limits’ on Employer-Based Green Cards — for an Entire Decade September 14, 2021
- A Father Speaks About the Death of his 16yr old son Ernest Ramirez Jr. after he received the COVID19 Vaccine September 13, 2021
- 1,659,675 hits