Senate Confirms Biden DOJ Nominee Kristen Clarke with One Republican Vote
May 25, 2021 10:04 pm
Tags: Defund the Police, Department of Justice, Dick Durbin, Kristen Clarke, law and order, Mitch McConnell, police, Politics, Senate Judiciary Committee, Susan Collins, Ted Cruz
Categories: Breitbart News Defund the Police Department of Justice Dick Durbin Kristen Clarke law and order Mitch McConnell police Politics Senate Judiciary Committee Susan Collins Ted Cruz
The Senate confirmed Kristen Clarke to head the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division with only one vote from Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME).
Clarke was confirmed as the first black woman to run the Civil Rights Division with a close 51-48 vote Tuesday afternoon. Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA) did not vote. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) reportedly called this vote “particularly poignant and appropriate” as it came on the one-year anniversary of the death of George Floyd.
Vice President Kamala Harris had sworn Clarke on Tuesday evening as the assistant attorney general for civil rights.
Previously, her nomination was stuck in the Senate Judiciary Committee with a split 11 to 11 vote. Under the provisions of S. Res. 27, Schumer reached into the committee and filed a discharge motion for her nomination to place a vote in the full senate. The motion in the Senate to discharge Clarke’s nomination from the Judiciary Committee was voted on by a 50-48 margin.
Democrats have praised voting for Clarke, saying her two-decade-long career as a civil rights attorney made her uniquely qualified to lead a unit.
Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee Dick Durbin (D-IL) previously released a statement supporting Clarke, saying she is “the right person to restore credibility to the Civil Rights Division.” He also added, “at this moment in history, our country needs her combination of expertise, experience, skills, and thoughtfulness to ensure the Civil Rights Division will again work for all Americans.”
The Republicans in the Senate had great opposition to her confirmation. On the eve of her confirmation vote, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell took to the Senate floor calling Clarke unfit for the Justice Department due to her past far-left comments. He argued Clarke will be working in the Justice Department but has argued Americans “must invest less in police.”
McConnell had continued to bring light the time at Harvard in which she “invited, welcomed, introduced, and then defended a famously antisemitic guest speaker who had authored a book literally entitled — now listen to this — The Jewish Onslaught,” he said.
Tuesday, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) released a statement saying, “Let me be clear: Kristen Clarke is completely unfit to serve as Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Rights Division.” He added that “Clarke is one of the most radical nominees ever put forward for any position in the federal government, and today Democrats have voted to give her a top position at the Department of Justice.”
- Could Biden Nominate Anti-Gun Activist David Chipman As “Gun Czar”? September 16, 2021
- COVID Hysteria Could Destroy A Generation September 16, 2021
- The Illusion Of Getting Rich While Producing Nothing September 16, 2021
- Report: John Durham Will Seek Indictment of Democratic Lawyer for Allegedly Lying to the F.B.I. During ‘Russian Collusion’ Investigation September 16, 2021
- Watch: Joe Biden Forgets Who He’s Talking To — Calls Australian PM ‘That Fella Down Under’ September 16, 2021
- Major UK Fertilizer Plants Shuttered Due To Skyrocketing Natural Gas Prices September 16, 2021
- Canada’s Conservatives Are Using Soaring Inflation To Help Defeat Trudeau September 15, 2021
- Mary Trump: Donald’s Entire Cabinet in ‘Dereliction of Its Duty’ for Not Invoking 25th Amendment September 15, 2021
- Bonds & Dollar Dump; Crypto Jumps As Debt-Ceiling Doubts Build September 15, 2021
- European Gas Prices Continue Parabolic Rise As EU Debates Nord Stream 2 Certification September 15, 2021
- Larry Elder, ‘Gracious in Defeat’: ‘We May Have Lost the Battle, but We Are Going to Win the War’ September 15, 2021
- Over Two-Thirds Of Businesses Worldwide Report Hiring Difficulties September 15, 2021
- WATCH – Gavin Newsom After Recall Victory: ‘We Said Yes to Science, We Said Yes to Vaccines’ September 15, 2021
- Gavin Newsom to Remain in Office; Democrats Want to Limit Future Recalls September 14, 2021
- Nikki Minaj Sparks MSM Meltdown After Suggesting Americans Think For Themselves About Vaccines September 14, 2021
- Nolte: Elites Violate Mask Mandate at Grotesque Met Gala September 14, 2021
- Biden, Newsom Continue Democrat Tradition of Blaming Climate Change for Wildfires September 14, 2021
- FBI Fires Lead Agent In Whitmer Kidnapping Case September 14, 2021
- Amnesty Alert: Bill ‘Blows Away All Numerical Limits’ on Employer-Based Green Cards — for an Entire Decade September 14, 2021
- A Father Speaks About the Death of his 16yr old son Ernest Ramirez Jr. after he received the COVID19 Vaccine September 13, 2021
- 1,659,671 hits