Senate Confirms Biden DOJ Nominee Kristen Clarke with One Republican Vote
May 25, 2021 10:04 pm
Tags: Defund the Police, Department of Justice, Dick Durbin, Kristen Clarke, law and order, Mitch McConnell, police, Politics, Senate Judiciary Committee, Susan Collins, Ted Cruz
Categories: Breitbart News Defund the Police Department of Justice Dick Durbin Kristen Clarke law and order Mitch McConnell police Politics Senate Judiciary Committee Susan Collins Ted Cruz
The Senate confirmed Kristen Clarke to head the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division with only one vote from Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME).
Clarke was confirmed as the first black woman to run the Civil Rights Division with a close 51-48 vote Tuesday afternoon. Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA) did not vote. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) reportedly called this vote “particularly poignant and appropriate” as it came on the one-year anniversary of the death of George Floyd.
Vice President Kamala Harris had sworn Clarke on Tuesday evening as the assistant attorney general for civil rights.
Previously, her nomination was stuck in the Senate Judiciary Committee with a split 11 to 11 vote. Under the provisions of S. Res. 27, Schumer reached into the committee and filed a discharge motion for her nomination to place a vote in the full senate. The motion in the Senate to discharge Clarke’s nomination from the Judiciary Committee was voted on by a 50-48 margin.
Democrats have praised voting for Clarke, saying her two-decade-long career as a civil rights attorney made her uniquely qualified to lead a unit.
Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee Dick Durbin (D-IL) previously released a statement supporting Clarke, saying she is “the right person to restore credibility to the Civil Rights Division.” He also added, “at this moment in history, our country needs her combination of expertise, experience, skills, and thoughtfulness to ensure the Civil Rights Division will again work for all Americans.”
The Republicans in the Senate had great opposition to her confirmation. On the eve of her confirmation vote, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell took to the Senate floor calling Clarke unfit for the Justice Department due to her past far-left comments. He argued Clarke will be working in the Justice Department but has argued Americans “must invest less in police.”
McConnell had continued to bring light the time at Harvard in which she “invited, welcomed, introduced, and then defended a famously antisemitic guest speaker who had authored a book literally entitled — now listen to this — The Jewish Onslaught,” he said.
Tuesday, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) released a statement saying, “Let me be clear: Kristen Clarke is completely unfit to serve as Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Rights Division.” He added that “Clarke is one of the most radical nominees ever put forward for any position in the federal government, and today Democrats have voted to give her a top position at the Department of Justice.”
- Walmart Recalls Aromatherapy Spray Due To Presence Of Rare And Deadly Bacteria October 26, 2021
- Jan. 6th 2020 was 100% Staged. Meet FBI Informant Ray Epps The Fed-Protected Provocateur Who Appears To Have Led The Very First 1/6 Attack On The U.S. Capitol October 26, 2021
- Dave Chappelle Won’t Speak with Critics Unless They ‘Admit’ Comic Who Torched Netflix for Defending Him ‘Isn’t Funny’ October 26, 2021
- Men Shot by Kyle Rittenhouse Can Be Called ‘Rioters,’ ‘Looters,’ But Not ‘Victims,’ Judge Rules October 26, 2021
- United Nations Wants U.S. to Import More Afghans as Soros Aids Biden’s Resettlement October 26, 2021
- FDA Panel Votes In Favor Of Pfizer Covid-19 Vaccine For Children Aged 5 – 11 October 26, 2021
- Democrats Stalking $5 Trillion In Billionaire Wealth For Tax Extraction October 26, 2021
- The Lost ‘Lockdown’ Months Of The COVID Crisis October 26, 2021
- Striking Workers Decry “Suicide Shifts” As Pandemic Burnout Takes Toll October 25, 2021
- Bidenflation Stole Christmas: Consumer Prices Up, Retail Spending Plans Not October 25, 2021
- EXCLUSIVE-Kevin McCarthy: Facebook Employees’ Leftist Narratives ‘Threatened’ by Breitbart Reporting October 25, 2021
- Thousands of NYC Workers March Across Brooklyn Bridge Protesting Vaccine Mandates: ‘F*ck Joe Biden!’ October 25, 2021
- Musk Tweets “Wild $T1mes!” After TSLA Joins ‘Four Commas’ Club October 25, 2021
- Musk Tops $250 Billion Net Worth After TSLA Rockets Past FB As 5th Biggest US Stock October 25, 2021
- Goldman Cut’s China’s 2022 GDP To Just 5.2% October 24, 2021
- ADL Warns: Avoid Culturally Insensitive, Gender-conforming Halloween Costumes October 24, 2021
- New Zealand Prime Minister Admits She Wants to Create Two Classes of Citizens Based on Vaccination Status October 24, 2021
- ‘The Richest He’s Ever Been’: Trump Set To Gain Billions In Net Worth On Moonshot SPAC October 24, 2021
- Washington Post ‘Forced to Admit They Lied’ After Pretending ‘F*ck Joe Biden’ Chant Was ‘Let’s Go, Brandon’ October 24, 2021
- Citigroup Becomes First Wall Street Megabank To Commit To “Racial Audit” October 24, 2021
- 1,663,738 hits