Senate Passes Stop-Gap Funding Through February
The Senate passed a stop-gap funding bill on Thursday night, averting a government shutdown.
The Senate passed H.R. 6119 with 69 votes in favor and 28 against, crossing the Senate’s 60-vote threshold. H.R. 6119 is a continuing resolution (CR), a spending bill that would keep government funding levels the same, although it grants $7 billion in funding for the resettlement of Afghan refugees.
The vote on the CR follows as the Senate shot down an amendment proposed by Sens. Mike Lee (R-UT) and Roger Marshall (R-KS) that would have defunded President Joe Biden’s vaccine mandates. The amendment failed after Sens. Joe Manchin (D-WV) and Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) voted against it, although Manchin had teased this afternoon that he may vote for the amendment.
“I’ve been very supportive of a mandate for federal government, for military… I’ve been less enthused about it in the private sector,” the West Virginia Democrat said.
The CR would fund the federal government through February 18, which serves as a minor victory for Republicans, as the GOP wanted more time to negotiate a longer-term spending bill. Democrats wanted a spending bill to fund the government through January.
The House earlier passed the legislation on mostly party lines; Democrats overwhelmingly voted for the bill, and only one Republican, Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL), voted for the bill.
The CR goes to Biden’s desk to sign, averting a government shutdown one day ahead of the December 3 deadline. Now, Congress will have to pass a bill to raise the debt ceiling and pass the National Defense Authorization Act.
Sean Moran is a congressional reporter for Breitbart News. Follow him on Twitter @SeanMoran3.
- New Hampshire Pharmacies Could Soon Begin Dispensing Ivermectin Without Doctor’s Prescription January 23, 2022
- China’s Censors Ban Hollywood Films As Beijing Builds Its Own “Movie Empire” January 23, 2022
- NYC Mayor Calls for More Gun Control After Felon Allegedly Shot 2 Officers January 22, 2022
- Non-Citizen Voting Push Is Part Of Agenda To Rid America Of Citizenship: Election Expert January 22, 2022
- ‘Smart’ Gun Mocked After Demonstration Fail January 22, 2022
- Biden Plans to Give Taxpayer-Funded ‘Legal Services’ to Illegal Aliens January 22, 2022
- House Republicans, Democrats Lobby Joe Biden to Cut U.S. Tariffs on China January 22, 2022
- Saudis Bomb Hospital & Youth Soccer Field In Yemen, Over 200 Killed January 22, 2022
- British Medical Journal Demands Immediate Release of All COVID-19 Vaccine, Treatment Data January 22, 2022
- Is America Heading For A Systems Collapse? January 21, 2022
- Wilson: GOP Wants 2024 to Be Last Election — Like the Ba’ath Party in Iraq January 21, 2022
- Rick Wilson: GOP Building a ‘Dystopian Bizarre Authoritarian Police State’ January 21, 2022
- Report: 2 NYPD Officers Dead After Shooting During Domestic Call January 21, 2022
- Durham Vs Horowitz: Tension Over Truth & Consequences Grips FBI’s Trump-Russia Reckoning January 21, 2022
- Kyle Rittenhouse Demands Prosecutors Return Gun He Used In Kenosha Shootings January 21, 2022
- Markets Are “Sea Of Red” Amid “Total Meltdown In Anything Tech And Pandemic Winners” January 21, 2022
- US Special Forces Continue Mission Training Troops In Ukraine January 21, 2022
- Exclusive — Rep. Michael Waltz: ‘Swamp Is Lighting up’ to Protect Defense Department Contracts that ‘Pour Billions’ into China’s ‘Military Buildup’ January 20, 2022
- Dem Sen. Murphy Bashes Ukraine’s Zelensky over Biden Pushback: He ‘Seems More Interested in Twitter Fights’ Than Protecting His Country January 20, 2022
- EXCLUSIVE — Rep. Reschenthaler: Biden’s ‘Continued Weakness’ Destabilizes National Security January 20, 2022
- 1,674,010 hits