Senators Introduce Bill to Boost US Production of Semiconductors Amid Beijing’s Threats
June 29, 2020 1:50 pm
Tags: China, China-US News, chips, National Defense Authorization Act, Pentagon, semiconductors, US
Categories: China China-US News chips Epoch Times JoshWho News National Defense Authorization Act Pentagon semiconductors US
In a move to counter China’s tech ambitions, a bipartisan group of senators has introduced new legislation aimed at boosting the domestic production and development of semiconductors—tiny chips that power everything from smartphones to missiles systems—in the United States.
“With the Chinese Communist Party’s continued efforts to dominate the rest of the world’s microelectronics industries through theft and coercion, it is critical that we work swiftly to strengthen domestic production of semiconductors and maintain our strategic competitive edge,” stated Jim Risch (R-Idaho), in a June 26 press release from his office.
The legislation was introduced by Sens. Risch, Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), Josh Hawley (R-Mo.), Jack Reed (D-R.I.), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), Susan Collins (R-Maine), Angus King (I-Maine), and Doug Jones (D-Ala.). The lawmakers aimed to include the bill as part of the National Defense Authorization Act of 2021 (S.4049).
The bill, named the “American Foundries Act of 2020,” included a measure to authorize the U.S. Commerce Department to award $15 billion in grants to states to assist in “construction, expansion, or modernization” of semiconductor plants and facilities. Any state is limited to receiving no more than $3 billion in grants.
It would also allocate $5 billion for the U.S. Department of Defense to provide grants for private sector entities to create, expand, or modernize their manufacturing or research facilities capable of producing “secure and specialized” chips for defense and intelligence purposes.
Additional funds of $5 billion would go into research and development of semiconductors to ensure “U.S. leadership” in the industry.
Among the $5 billion, $2 billion would be earmarked for the expansion of the Electronics Resurgence Initiative of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), which is a Pentagon agency responsible for the development of emerging technologies for use by the military. $1.5 million would be given to the National Science Foundation, $1.25 billion for the Department of Energy, and $250 million for the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).
None of the funds appropriated under the bill may be provided to entities “under the foreign ownership, control, or influence” of the Chinese regime or other foreign adversaries, according to the bill text.
It also stipulates that the U.S. President establish a subcommittee under the National Science and Technology Council (NSTC) for efforts such as “strengthening the domestic microelectronics workplaces” and “guiding and coordinating funding for breakthroughs in next-generation microelectronics research and technology.”
“America’s technological advantage played a decisive role in our victory in the Cold War, and it will be equally important to our ability to outcompete China over the coming decades,” Hawley said in the press release.
U.S. trade body Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA) welcomed the new bill in a statement on June 25.
“The U.S. simply cannot afford to cede more ground to competing countries in the production of semiconductor technology, which is the bedrock of our country’s digital economy and defense systems,” said John Neuffer, SIA’s CEO and president.
SIA, in its policy report issued on June 18, said the United States currently enjoys a great lead over China in terms of market dominance and technical advancements, despite the latter’s attempts to boost its semiconductor industry through state-backed policies.
According to the SIA report, the U.S. semiconductor industry had a market share of 47 percent in 2019, followed by South Korea with 19 percent, and China with 5 percent.
The United States is the leader in logic process technology, which is needed to manufacture advanced semiconductors such as artificial intelligence chips. According to the SIA report, the U.S. was four years ahead of China in this technology in 2010, and the same gap continued to exist in 2019. Meanwhile, Taiwan and South Korea had closed the gap from being two years behind in 2010 to being neck-and-neck with the United States in 2019.
The SIA outlined several recommendations for the U.S. government to ensure America’s leadership in semiconductor innovations, such as tax incentives for semiconductor manufacturing, more investment in semiconductor research, STEM education, and more “resources for law enforcement and intelligence agencies to prevent and prosecute semiconductor intellectual property theft.”
Federal prosecutors in late 2018 indicted Taiwanese chipmaker UMC, Chinese chipmaker Fujian Jinhua, and several engineers for conspiring to steal trade secrets related to DRAM memory chips from U.S. chipmaker Micron.
In early June, both houses of Congress introduced a new bill called the CHIPS For America Act, part of which includes tax benefits in the form of refundable investment tax credits for companies making purchases of semiconductor equipment or building manufacturing facilities in the United States.
Trending last 24 hours
- Young White Mother Killed By Black Lives Matter Mob for Allegedly Saying ‘All Lives Matter,’ National Media Fully Ignores A 24-year-old mother was killed by a Black Lives Matter supporter i... 383 views | 0 comments
- MUST READ: Body Cam Transcript Tells a Different Story on the Death of George Floyd It Now Looks Like George Floyd, Not Derek Chauvin, Killed George... 259 views | 1 comment
- Report: Goya Food Sales Skyrocket Right After Chrissy Teigen Launched Her Big Liberal “Boycott” “We’re all truly blessed at the same time to have a leader like President... 108 views | 1 comment
- Report: Witness Says Ghislaine Maxwell Has Tapes Of “Two Prominent U.S. Politicians” Having Sex With Minors Some very powerful people are undoubtedly in full panic mode right now aft... 71 views | 0 comments
- [VIDEO] Police Release Chilling Underwater Footage Of Creepy Lake Piru Where “Glee” Star Went Missing It’s been three days since former “Glee” actress Naya Rivera went missing... 70 views | 0 comments
- Three Churches Have Burned in Just Over 24 Hours, But You Wouldn’t Know It If You Watch National News A fire destroyed Faith Tabernacle Pentecostal Church in Elkmont, Alabama F... 57 views | 0 comments
- [VIDEO] Guy Becomes a Hero After Being Shamed by Two Different “Female Mask Nazis” at Walmart “Oh God, Another One!” This poor guy has become an internet hero, after his one trip to Walmart... 51 views | 0 comments
- Trump Denies Request From Minnesota Governor for $500 Million to Cover Damage From Riots President Trump has denied a request from Minnesota’s governor for money... 40 views | 0 comments
- Report: Soros-Backed DA Just Made Her Move Against “Armed St. Louis Couple”…Warrants Issued and Guns Confiscated The St. Louis couple who defended their home against a threatening and vio... 36 views | 0 comments
- Obama, Bush and Carter Staff Aided the Chinese Communist Party to Broaden the Reach of its Propaganda Confucius Institutes to U.S. Children EXCLUSIVE: Bush, Carter, and Obama Staff Collaborated with Chinese Co... 24 views | 0 comments
Trending This Week
- Black NFAC Militia Leader Demands ‘Black Nation’ Inside the US: ‘We’ll Take Texas’ The leader of a black militia g... 1.7k views | 4 comments
- Online Conspiracy Theorists Share their “Evidence” that Furniture Company “Wayfair” is a Secret “Child Sex Trafficking Ring” I woke up this morning, made my coffee, and fed my dogs... 1.4k views | 0 comments
- [VIDEO] Get Ready For Next “George Floyd” Outrage…It Just Happened in Phoenix My friend’s cousin was killed today while sleeping in... 0.9k views | 1 comment
- Young White Mother Killed By Black Lives Matter Mob for Allegedly Saying ‘All Lives Matter,’ National Media Fully Ignores A 24-year-old mother was killed by a Black Live... 383 views | 0 comments
- ‘Torture chamber’ found by Dutch police in shipping containers Dutch authorities found prison cells, handcuffs... 288 views | 1 comment
- MUST READ: Body Cam Transcript Tells a Different Story on the Death of George Floyd It Now Looks Like George Floyd, Not Derek Cha... 259 views | 1 comment
- [VIDEO] Atlanta Family Receives Mail-in Voter Registration For “Cody” Their Dead Cat Democrats are running around burning down cities with... 212 views | 0 comments
- (Video) Purest kind of race hate: Tucker Carlson slams Seattle employee training on ‘undoing whiteness’ Fox News host Tucker Carlson urged people to st... 199 views | 0 comments
- Philadelphia Eagles’ DeSean Jackson Shares Anti-Semitic Quotes Attributed to Hitler on Instagram DeSean Jackson shared anti-semitic quotes attributed t... 198 views | 0 comments
- [VIDEO] Another White BLM Protester is Mowed Down in Indiana, this Time by Very Angry Elderly Guy Another white BLM protester was mowed down by an angr... 179 views | 0 comments