Shakedown: BLM Demands Cut of Louisville Business Profits for Protection
August 2, 2020 9:52 pm
Tags: anti racism, Black Lives Matter, BLM, Crime, Diversity, diversity and inclusion, Kentucky, Leftism, Local, Louisville, Politics, Reparations, safe space, Safe Spaces, Social Justice
Categories: anti racism Black Lives Matter BLM Breitbart News Crime Diversity diversity and inclusion JoshWho News Kentucky Leftism Local Louisville Politics Reparations safe space Safe Spaces Social Justice
Black Lives Matter (BLM) protesters issued “social justice” and “black liberation” demands regarding “diversity” to a restaurant owner in Louisville, KY, including a directive for “donations” to organizations run by non-whites.
Listed demands from a BLM affiliate in Louisville include racial quotas for staff and ownership of business suppliers, donations to organizations run by non-whites, and adjustment to dress codes. The posters used the acronym “BIPOC” (“black or indigenous persons of color”) as a euphemism for non-white persons:
23% of Staff is BIPOC in Front of House
23% of inventory is from BIPOC retailer(s)
Regular donations to BIPOC organization
Dress code policy does not discriminate against BIPOC patrons of employees.
Additional demands issued via the letter included the option to give 1.5 percent of revenues to a local “black nonprofit or organization” in lieu of purchasing a minimum of 23 percent of the business’s inventory from “black retailers,” mandated “diversity and inclusion training” for all employees, and displaying of left-wing messaging to support “reparations.”
The posters include a stated commitment to be publicly visible as a public service announcement pending future “inspections” of restaurants and other businesses.
Three varieties of posters with the message, “YOU CAN’T STOP THE REVOLUTION,” were directed at restaurants in Louisville’s NuLu neighborhood with the grades A, C, and F according to a “NuLu Social Justice Health and Wellness Code.”
Posters with the C-grade declare, “A facility that fails two (2) consecutive regular inspections will be under administrative review.” Those with an F-grade include the following message, “[This] facility has failed to meet minimum requirements of the Nulu Social Justice Health and Wellness Code inspection. This includes [a] failure to create a safe space for black inclusion.”
The letter includes neo-Marxist assertions, decrying “gentrification” as a “process [that] has been happening to black, indigenous, and persons of color at the hands of white, heterosexual patriarchy since the inception of this nation we call home. Black folx [sic] can’t ‘have their own space’ when wealthy white folks see an opportunity to make more money.”
“Repercussions of non-compliance” are listed in the letter:
- Reduction in Racial Index Score/bias report to the Better Business Bureau.
- Social Media Blast: Notification, via all social media platforms, of non-compliance.
- Boycott: Public boycott, coordinated through social media and mail announcements, of yours NuLu establishment AND any other business ventures owned by you.
- Protest: Visible, media-covered demonstration/sit-in outside your establishment.
- Invasive Reclamation: Placement of booths/tables outside your establishment where competing Black proprietors will offer items comparable to those offered by you.
Fernando Martinez, the owner of La Bodeguita de Mima, a restaurant serving Cuban cuisine, described Black Lives Matter’s demands as a Mafia-style shakedown. He characterized them as “Mafia tactics,” according to Courier-Journal, a Kentucky-based newspaper.
PJ Media reported on a public Facebook post from Martinez: “There comes a time in life that you have to make a stand and you have to really prove your convictions and what you believe in. … All good people need to denounce this. How can you [justify] injustice with more injustice?”
Local supporters and some from Louisville’s Cuban community held a rally to support Martinez’s restaurant on Sunday, which was vandalized in recent days. They said the restaurant “has been subject to vandalism and extortion in recent days.”
The Courier-Journal reported:
La Bodeguita de Mima was forced to close July 24 during a [Black Lives Matter] demonstration that shut down East Market Street, at which several protesters presented Martinez with the list of demands and said he “better put the letter on the door so your business is not f*cked with.”
The restaurant remained closed the next two days because “management and staff were concerned about safety,” according to the release. “30+ staff members (mostly immigrants) were unable to earn a paycheck.”
Chris Turner, a Louisville-based reporter, reported on a Black Lives Matter protest forcing the closing of businesses on July 24:
NuLu protesters’ demands posted on East Market Street. East Market is blocked between Clay and Shelby Streets. Protesters unloaded three trucks of barricades, buffet tables, canopies, even a piano to “occupy” the area. pic.twitter.com/od87L2Js5l
— Chris Turner (@ChrisTurnerWDRB) July 24, 2020
Black Lives Matter Louisville markets “anti-racism training” on its verified Facebook page produced in partnership with MoveOn.org and other left-wing and partisan Democrat organizations.
An “activist” affiliated with Black Lives Matter denied that his organization’s demands amounted to a threat.
Follow Robert Kraychik on Twitter.
- Utah’s Largest Newspaper Calls For Unvaxxed To Endure Draconian Lockdowns Enforced By National Guard January 16, 2022
- Europe’s Spendthrifts Are Stuck In Irreversible Debt-Traps January 16, 2022
- For Leftists, Your Freedom Is Their Misery – Your Slavery Is Their Joy January 15, 2022
- Huge Crowd Attends Trump Rally in Arizona: ‘Nobody’s Ever Had a Movement Like This’ January 15, 2022
- EXCLUSIVE — Trump Will Call on Republicans to Increase ICE Officers to ‘Find, Detain, and Deport’ Every Illegal Alien Biden Let into USA January 15, 2022
- Save America Trump Rally Florence AZ Live Stream January 15, 2022
- How Goldman Is Convincing Its Clients Not To Freak Out About Fed Rate Hikes January 15, 2022
- FBI Frees Hostages at Texas Synagogue — Suspect Dead January 15, 2022
- Biden Forms New Task Force To Tackle Future COVID Variants January 15, 2022
- Sullivan: Chances That Russia Invades Ukraine “High” January 14, 2022
- Fully Vaccinated Australians In Hospital For COVID-19 Surpass Unvaccinated January 14, 2022
- ‘Where’s Our Reparations’: Suspect in Burger King Murder Demands Social Justice January 14, 2022
- House Republicans: Biden Protecting Illegal Aliens Who Overstayed Visas with ‘Sanctuary Country’ Orders January 14, 2022
- Nearly 4-in-10 Illegal Aliens Refusing Coronavirus Vaccine as Americans Hit with Mandates January 14, 2022
- Why Democrats Make Energy Expensive (And Dirty) January 14, 2022
- Watch: MSNBC’s Reid Again Calls For Denying Medical Care To The Unvaxx’d January 14, 2022
- Yachts To Be Exempt From EU’s Carbon Pricing Plan January 14, 2022
- Antony Blinken And A Gun At Your Head January 13, 2022
- Democrats Block Plan to Remove Foreign Nationals from Voter Rolls January 13, 2022
- Some Good News: Rents Have Finally Peaked As Rental Market Enters “Widespread Cooldown” January 13, 2022
- 1,673,156 hits