Sidney Powell No Longer Part of Trump’s Legal Team: Giuliani Statement
Former federal prosecutor Sidney Powell is no longer part of President Donald Trump’s legal team, according to a statement from Rudy Giuliani, the head of the president’s post-election legal effort.
“Sidney Powell is practicing law on her own. She is not a member of the Trump Legal Team. She is also not a lawyer for the President in his personal capacity,” Giuliani said.
Trump personally announced Powell’s addition to his legal team a week ago.
Powell appeared at a press conference with Trump’s legal team, which also includes senior Trump campaign legal adviser Jenna Ellis, earlier this week.
Powell has aggressively promoted allegations about electronic voting systems used during the 2020 election, specifically machines and software operated by Dominion Voting Systems. She has alleged that the system switched votes from Trump to former Vice President Joe Biden, either by tampering with the physical devices or remote hacking.
Dominion Voting Systems has rejected the allegations. A spokesman for the company said on Sunday that the company’s software did not switch votes from Trump to Biden.
Powell and the Trump campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Powell has since last year represented former national security adviser Michael Flynn in one of the flagship cases spawned from the investigation by special counsel Robert Mueller. A legal blitz from her team has resulted in the withdrawal of the charges against Flynn which is yet to be decided on by a federal judge.
Powell backed up some of her allegations about Dominion Voting Systems with a partly redacted affidavit from a person who claimed to have witnessed the software being used to steal an election for Venezuela’s socialist dictator. The affidavit was subsequently filed in federal court as part of a lawsuit by Lin Wood, another attorney with the Trump campaign.
Notably, one of the other claims Powell promoted during the Trump campaign press conference also stemmed from a filing in the Wood lawsuit. The filing alleged that a number of precincts in Michigan had 100 percent or more people vote than there were registered voters. The conservative Powerline Blog spotted that the townships listed were from Minnesota, not Michigan.
Powell said on Saturday that the president’s lawyers will file a lawsuit of “biblical” proportions soon, alleging that some election officials were embroiled in a pay-to-play scheme with a prominent manufacturer of voting software.
“We’ve got tons of evidence; it’s so much, it’s hard to pull it all together,” Powell told Newsmax.
“Hopefully this week we will get it ready to file, and it will be biblical,” Powell said. “It’s a massive project to pull this fraud claim together with the evidence that I want to put in.”