Terror Cell Leader’s Citizenship Cancelled
Dutton said Benbrika had been notified of the decision and would remain in prison while a court considered whether to keep him jailed.
“He spoke about thousands of Australians being killed,” Dutton told reporters in Brisbane on Wednesday. “It doesn’t matter who it is, if it’s a person that’s posing a significant terror risk to our country, then we will do whatever is possible within Australian law to protect Australians.”
Australia’s first convicted terrorist leader was jailed for a maximum of 15 years in 2009.
The self-proclaimed Islamic cleric has been behind bars since his 2005 arrest over plots to attack Melbourne landmarks, including one to blow up the Melbourne Cricket Ground on grand final day that year.
He also said his group of followers needed to kill at least 1000 non-believers to make the Australian government withdraw troops from Iraq and Afghanistan.
The Commonwealth wants a continuing detention order requiring Benbrika to remain in prison until November 2023, with the matter still before a court.
Dutton said he was the first person onshore to lose his citizenship under the relevant laws, passed in 2007.
Benbrika will be granted an ex-citizen visa under migration law.
Labor’s foreign affairs spokeswoman Penny Wong said the laws allowing the government to cancel citizenship were passed with her party’s support.
“We did understand when we passed those laws through the parliament that the cancellation of citizenship was a big step but a necessary step in certain circumstances,” she told ABC TV. “Mr Benbrika’s activities and his conviction are well known to all of us and that is why Labor supported the passage of that legislation.”
- Report: ‘Fragile’ Democrats Face Dire 2022 Prospects October 18, 2021
- One Bank Reveals The Dismal Truth About The $150 Trillion Crusade Against Climate Change October 18, 2021
- State Department Inspector General Will Investigate President Biden’s Botched Afghanistan Pullout October 18, 2021
- Fraternal Uprising: College Students Reject ‘Surveillance State’ Coronavirus Restrictions October 18, 2021
- Colin Powell Died from COVID Booster Shot Complications at age 84— He Was Fully Vaccinated October 18, 2021
- Peter Schiff: Stock Up Now! Inflation Could Get Very Ugly October 18, 2021
- Investors Starting To Realize “Stagflation” Is A Problem October 18, 2021
- Beijing, Moscow, Ankara Push US Out Of Red Sea Dominance October 18, 2021
- WATCH– President Biden Violates Mask Mandate in D.C. October 17, 2021
- 40% Of California State Workers Are Unvaccinated Despite Newsom’s Order October 17, 2021
- Donald Trump Mocks Biden Corruption: ‘Hunter Has Inspired Me to Begin Painting’ October 17, 2021
- China Stuns U.S. Intelligence with Hypersonic Missile Test October 17, 2021
- Taibbi: Yes, Virginia, There Is A Deep State October 17, 2021
- Coal Generation In UK Jumps As Wind Speed Drops October 17, 2021
- David Hogg Rebuked Again, Youth Gun Sports Leagues See “Record-Setting” Participation October 16, 2021
- Report: Cori Bush Defends Defund Police Push While Spending $130,000 on Personal Security, Including Cops October 16, 2021
- Marlow: ‘A Semi-Responsible Media’ Would Constantly Press Buttigieg for any ‘Reasonable Explanation’ for Economic Problems October 16, 2021
- Poll: Joe Biden’s Job Approval Hits New Low at 36 Percent October 16, 2021
- International Space Station Briefly Destabilized After Accidental Russian Rocket Firing October 16, 2021
- Huge Dock Worker Protests In Italy, Fears Of Disruption, As Covid ‘Green Pass’ Takes Effect October 16, 2021
- 1,663,001 hits