The Consequences of Catalytic Convertor Thefts Are Becoming Deadly
March 18, 2021 7:46 pm
Tags: Catalytic converter, Crime, Orange County, Orange County Sheriff's Department, police, Regional-Local News, Southern California, thefts, US
Categories: Catalytic converter Crime Epoch Times JoshWho News Orange County Orange County Sheriff's Department police Regional-Local News Southern California thefts US
Catalytic convertor thefts are on the rise—and apparently the costly metals found inside are precious enough to warrant risking one’s life for.
Unbeknownst to victims who are about to head off to work for the day, they start their car to find it has become extremely loud without the sound muffling device, while others come out to find a thief has been crushed under the car due to a failed jack stand.
That’s what happened when Anaheim police were called to the 1600 block of North Placentia Avenue early March 17, where they found a man wedged underneath a Toyota Prius, crushed to death by the weight of the vehicle while apparently attempting to steal the car’s catalytic convertor.
Three more deaths involving a catalytic converter theft occurred March 12, when two men inside a Dodge Ram 1500 truck that was being chased by police crashed into another vehicle, sending it through a block wall and landing upside down in a residential swimming pool.
Both men inside the truck, Joseph Mendoza, 24, and Sal Fernandez, 34, were pronounced dead when officers discovered them in the pool, as well as Michael Clugston, who was in the vehicle the truck slammed into before landing in the pool.
The driver’s body was reportedly pulled from the truck by police immediately after the crash, though the passenger’s body was not found inside the truck until it was pulled out of the pool nine hours after the crash.
After searching the destroyed truck, police found a catalytic convertor, a power saw, and a pistol. Mendoza and Fernandez were originally being chased when police saw them speeding through a parking lot and they failed to pull over.
The trend of catalytic converter thefts is not unique to Orange County.
The San Bernardino Sheriff’s Department served a search warrant March 17 on a resident they suspected of running a catalytic convertor fencing operation.
After searching the home, police said they found approximately 400 catalytic converters worth an estimated $400,000, as well as a stolen vehicle on the property.
Convertor thefts continue to be on the rise in Orange County, where reported stolen catalytic converter thefts totaled 86 last November, 77 last December, and 108 in January, according to latest figures from the OCSD.
In Orange County, police have not found more than a few stolen converters in any given single bust, an OCSD spokesperson said.
- Could Biden Nominate Anti-Gun Activist David Chipman As “Gun Czar”? September 16, 2021
- COVID Hysteria Could Destroy A Generation September 16, 2021
- The Illusion Of Getting Rich While Producing Nothing September 16, 2021
- Report: John Durham Will Seek Indictment of Democratic Lawyer for Allegedly Lying to the F.B.I. During ‘Russian Collusion’ Investigation September 16, 2021
- Watch: Joe Biden Forgets Who He’s Talking To — Calls Australian PM ‘That Fella Down Under’ September 16, 2021
- Major UK Fertilizer Plants Shuttered Due To Skyrocketing Natural Gas Prices September 16, 2021
- Canada’s Conservatives Are Using Soaring Inflation To Help Defeat Trudeau September 15, 2021
- Mary Trump: Donald’s Entire Cabinet in ‘Dereliction of Its Duty’ for Not Invoking 25th Amendment September 15, 2021
- Bonds & Dollar Dump; Crypto Jumps As Debt-Ceiling Doubts Build September 15, 2021
- European Gas Prices Continue Parabolic Rise As EU Debates Nord Stream 2 Certification September 15, 2021
- Larry Elder, ‘Gracious in Defeat’: ‘We May Have Lost the Battle, but We Are Going to Win the War’ September 15, 2021
- Over Two-Thirds Of Businesses Worldwide Report Hiring Difficulties September 15, 2021
- WATCH – Gavin Newsom After Recall Victory: ‘We Said Yes to Science, We Said Yes to Vaccines’ September 15, 2021
- Gavin Newsom to Remain in Office; Democrats Want to Limit Future Recalls September 14, 2021
- Nikki Minaj Sparks MSM Meltdown After Suggesting Americans Think For Themselves About Vaccines September 14, 2021
- Nolte: Elites Violate Mask Mandate at Grotesque Met Gala September 14, 2021
- Biden, Newsom Continue Democrat Tradition of Blaming Climate Change for Wildfires September 14, 2021
- FBI Fires Lead Agent In Whitmer Kidnapping Case September 14, 2021
- Amnesty Alert: Bill ‘Blows Away All Numerical Limits’ on Employer-Based Green Cards — for an Entire Decade September 14, 2021
- A Father Speaks About the Death of his 16yr old son Ernest Ramirez Jr. after he received the COVID19 Vaccine September 13, 2021
- 1,659,674 hits