Typhoon In-Fa Hits China’s East Coast, Forcing Container Ports To Close
Typhoon In-Fa made landfall in eastern China with high wind and torrential rains as other parts of the country were cleaning up from last week’s historic flooding.
In-Fa came ashore Sunday on China’s east coast south of Shanghai. Hundreds of thousands of people were evacuated, airline flights and trains were canceled, seaports were shuttered, and the public was advised to remain indoors.
The national weather agency said the typhoon made landfall in Zhoushan in Zhejiang province and is expected to dump 10-14 inches.
On Saturday, Yangshan Port in Shanghai moved containerships and secured containers on land ahead of the storm. Yangshan Port is a deep-water port and one of the most active in China. The disruption throws another wrench in global supply chains that are already under stress.
Melinda Liu, Beijing bureau chief for Newsweek, said, “the problem with this typhoon is not only that it is wreaking economic havoc in some key parts in China but also that it comes at a very delicate time.”
“It, first of all, comes just a few days after massive flooding in central China, which has disrupted lives of a million people and killed dozens. Not just killed people but also created images that went viral on social media, some very graphic pictures of people who apparently drowned in a subway system,” she said.
“But there is also a political significance, and the point of that is probably going to play out in the coming months.”
“There is a possibility that … if the handling of the preparedness is not up to par, then the government might be blamed.”
Videos posted on social media show the dark sky over Shanghai’s skyscrapers.
— Johnny Hu (胡奕) (@chinajohnnyhu) July 25, 2021
As the storm came ashore, 60 mph winds ripped through city streets.
▪️Typhoon In-fa hit China’s east coast south of Shanghai, wind speeds off shore reached 60 mph (100 kph)
▪️People living near the sea were evacuated, airline flights and trains were canceled and the public was ordered to stay indoors. pic.twitter.com/1bI8vAV66v
— EHA News (@eha_news) July 25, 2021
At least 360,000 people were evacuated. Here’s another video of damaging winds.
URGENTE- Tufão In-Fa encontra Xangai a velocidades de até 38m / s!
O vídeo mostra a incrível força do tufão que atinge a costa leste da China.
As autoridades evacuaram as áreas costeiras, 360.000 pessoas foram realocadas, voos e trens foram cancelados. pic.twitter.com/dWYmqVmndZ
— Tucamaiacaetano 🇧🇷 5ª Conta 🇧🇷 (@tucamaiacaetano) July 25, 2021
Meanwhile, Tropical Storm Nepartak is in the Philippine Sea and barreling towards Japan as the Olympic Games begin.
- Bidenflation Stole Christmas: Consumer Prices Up, Retail Spending Plans Not October 25, 2021
- EXCLUSIVE-Kevin McCarthy: Facebook Employees’ Leftist Narratives ‘Threatened’ by Breitbart Reporting October 25, 2021
- Thousands of NYC Workers March Across Brooklyn Bridge Protesting Vaccine Mandates: ‘F*ck Joe Biden!’ October 25, 2021
- Musk Tweets “Wild $T1mes!” After TSLA Joins ‘Four Commas’ Club October 25, 2021
- Musk Tops $250 Billion Net Worth After TSLA Rockets Past FB As 5th Biggest US Stock October 25, 2021
- Goldman Cut’s China’s 2022 GDP To Just 5.2% October 24, 2021
- ADL Warns: Avoid Culturally Insensitive, Gender-conforming Halloween Costumes October 24, 2021
- New Zealand Prime Minister Admits She Wants to Create Two Classes of Citizens Based on Vaccination Status October 24, 2021
- ‘The Richest He’s Ever Been’: Trump Set To Gain Billions In Net Worth On Moonshot SPAC October 24, 2021
- Washington Post ‘Forced to Admit They Lied’ After Pretending ‘F*ck Joe Biden’ Chant Was ‘Let’s Go, Brandon’ October 24, 2021
- Citigroup Becomes First Wall Street Megabank To Commit To “Racial Audit” October 24, 2021
- Gordon Chang: Joe Biden’s Taiwan Policy Is Now A Total Disaster October 23, 2021
- Pinkerton: Bidenflation Meets Bidenunemployment October 23, 2021
- President Biden Delays Release of JFK Assassination Records, Blaming Pandemic October 23, 2021
- CDC Director Admits “We May Need To Update Our Definition Of ‘Fully Vaccinated'” October 23, 2021
- Poland Will Not Be “Blackmailed” Into Accepting European Union Laws, PM Morawiecki Says October 23, 2021
- Why Should American Soldiers Die For Taiwan? October 22, 2021
- Mutated Strain Of Delta Variant Causing Panic In UK Has Been Found In US October 22, 2021
- Rep. Tiffany Grills AG Merrick Garland on Race-Based Loan Relief for Black Farmers October 22, 2021
- Democrat Terry McAuliffe Uses ‘Very Fine People’ Hoax in Campaign Ad Attacking Youngkin October 22, 2021
- 1,663,615 hits