Virginia lawmakers vote to ban the death penalty
February 23, 2021 8:11 am
Tags: abolish, death penalty, executions, Featured, Nation, Ralph Northam, Virginia
Categories: abolish death penalty executions Featured JoshWho News Nation Ralph Northam Saraa Carter Virginia
Virginia lawmakers approved legislation Monday to ban the death penalty and are now sending the legislation to the desk of Gov. Ralph Northam (D-Va).
The Senate voted 22-16 on Monday, with Republican state Sen. Jill Holtzman Vogel joining Democrats, to approve the measure. The House approved the state Senate’s own version of the bill, 57-43, shortly after senators voted.
Northam’s signature will make Virginia the 23rd state to ban executions and the first in the American South.
“It is vital that our criminal justice system operates fairly and punishes people equitably,” Gov. Northam, House Speaker Eileen Filler-Corn and Senate Majority Leader Dick Saslaw said in a joint statement. “We all know the death penalty doesn’t do that. It is inequitable, ineffective, and inhumane.”
“Over Virginia’s long history, this Commonwealth has executed more people than any other state. And, like many other states, Virginia has come too close to executing an innocent person. It’s time we stop this machinery of death,” the statement continued.
Since the U.S. Supreme Court let states resume the death penalty in 1976, Virginia has conducted the second most executions, following Texas. 2017 was the last execution in Virginia.
“Thanks to the vote of lawmakers in both chambers, Virginia will join 22 other states that have ended use of the death penalty. This is an important step forward in ensuring that our criminal justice system is fair and equitable to all,” the statement concludes.
According to the Death Penalty Information Center, 25 states currently have the death penalty, 22 states do not and three have governor-imposed moratoriums.
The legislation would commute the death sentences of the two offenders currently on death row in Virginia to life in prison without parole.
Follow Annaliese Levy on Twitter @AnnalieseLevy
- Cuba Becomes First Country To Mass Vaccinate Children As Young As 2-Years Old September 20, 2021
- Ron DeSantis and 25 Republican Governors Demand Southern Border Crisis Meeting with Biden September 20, 2021
- White House: Illegal Aliens Do Not Need Proof of Vaccination Because ‘Not Intending to Stay’ September 20, 2021
- DHS Steps Up Removal Flights for Haitian Migrants at Border Bridge Camp September 20, 2021
- When The Levee Breaks… September 20, 2021
- If Only We Could Find A Cure For Trump Derangement Syndrome September 19, 2021
- The Fed Has Liquidated Its Entire Corporate Bond Portfolio September 19, 2021
- Report: Secondary Schools in Afghanistan Open Without Female Students or Teachers September 19, 2021
- U.S., Mexico Begin Removal Flights for Haitian Migrants September 19, 2021
- Report: Beto O’Rourke Eyes Political Comeback in Texas Gubernatorial Race September 19, 2021
- Rickards: No Recovery Until 2045? September 19, 2021
- Kadish: Is It Puppeteers Or Puppets In Control In Washington? September 18, 2021
- Hospital Staff That Decline COVID Vaccine For Religious Reasons Must Attest To Also Swearing Off Tylenol, Tums, & Other Common Meds September 18, 2021
- ‘Justice for J6’: Protesters Call for Due Process for Capitol Attack Detainees September 18, 2021
- Mexican State Cops Stop Buses with Caribbean Migrants Headed for Border, They Kept Walking September 18, 2021
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Venezuelan, Colombian Migrants Cross Border Upstream from Del Rio Migrant Camp September 18, 2021
- Could Biden Nominate Anti-Gun Activist David Chipman As “Gun Czar”? September 16, 2021
- COVID Hysteria Could Destroy A Generation September 16, 2021
- The Illusion Of Getting Rich While Producing Nothing September 16, 2021
- Report: John Durham Will Seek Indictment of Democratic Lawyer for Allegedly Lying to the F.B.I. During ‘Russian Collusion’ Investigation September 16, 2021
- 1,659,973 hits