Visualizing Europe’s Fastest Growing Cities
If you were to select a random person in Europe, there’s a 75% chance that person lives in an urban area rather than a rural one.
In the coming decades, this region’s urban population figure is expected to rise even higher, from 75% to 84% by 2050.
Based on projected average annual population growth rates between 2020-2025, Visual Capitalist’s Iman Ghosh details below which are the fastest growing cities in Europe?
Russia’s well-known for its expansive landmass, but the country is more than its vast terrain. In fact, Russia contains six of the top 20 fastest growing cities in Europe.
Interestingly, Balashikha—the fastest growing European city—is located just 25km (15 mi) outside Moscow. Rapid expansion at the peripheries of capital cities like this are typically attributed to a phenomenon called urban sprawl.
Although Balashikha is projected to experience the fastest annual rate of growth (2.01%) in the region over the next few years, when pitted against others on the global stage, it only ranks in 768th place.
Europe vs. Global
It’s important to note that Europe’s urban growth rates are relatively slow compared to many other parts of the world, such as Asia and Africa.
From 2020-2025, the world’s fastest growing city, Gwagwalada, Nigeria, is expected to grow more than 3x faster than Europe’s fastest growing city, Balashikha.
- Victor Davis Hanson: The Afghanistization Of America September 20, 2021
- Cuba Becomes First Country To Mass Vaccinate Children As Young As 2-Years Old September 20, 2021
- Ron DeSantis and 25 Republican Governors Demand Southern Border Crisis Meeting with Biden September 20, 2021
- White House: Illegal Aliens Do Not Need Proof of Vaccination Because ‘Not Intending to Stay’ September 20, 2021
- DHS Steps Up Removal Flights for Haitian Migrants at Border Bridge Camp September 20, 2021
- When The Levee Breaks… September 20, 2021
- If Only We Could Find A Cure For Trump Derangement Syndrome September 19, 2021
- The Fed Has Liquidated Its Entire Corporate Bond Portfolio September 19, 2021
- Report: Secondary Schools in Afghanistan Open Without Female Students or Teachers September 19, 2021
- U.S., Mexico Begin Removal Flights for Haitian Migrants September 19, 2021
- Report: Beto O’Rourke Eyes Political Comeback in Texas Gubernatorial Race September 19, 2021
- Rickards: No Recovery Until 2045? September 19, 2021
- Kadish: Is It Puppeteers Or Puppets In Control In Washington? September 18, 2021
- Hospital Staff That Decline COVID Vaccine For Religious Reasons Must Attest To Also Swearing Off Tylenol, Tums, & Other Common Meds September 18, 2021
- ‘Justice for J6’: Protesters Call for Due Process for Capitol Attack Detainees September 18, 2021
- Mexican State Cops Stop Buses with Caribbean Migrants Headed for Border, They Kept Walking September 18, 2021
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Venezuelan, Colombian Migrants Cross Border Upstream from Del Rio Migrant Camp September 18, 2021
- Could Biden Nominate Anti-Gun Activist David Chipman As “Gun Czar”? September 16, 2021
- COVID Hysteria Could Destroy A Generation September 16, 2021
- The Illusion Of Getting Rich While Producing Nothing September 16, 2021
- 1,659,973 hits