WATCH: Costa Rican Gymnast Includes Black Lives Matter Tribute in Olympic Floor Routine
July 26, 2021 9:13 pm
Tags: Black Lives Matter, Costa Rica, Defund the Police, George Floyd, International Olympic Committee, Olympics, Politics, Riots, Social Justice, Sports, Tokyo Olympics, Woke
Categories: Black Lives Matter Breitbart News Costa Rica Defund the Police George Floyd International Olympic Committee JoshWho News Olympics Politics Riots Social Justice Sports Tokyo Olympics Woke
Costa Rican gymnast Luciana Alvarado paid tribute to the Black Lives Matter movement at the end of her first-floor routine at the Toyko Olympics on Sunday.
At the end of her performance, Alvarado kneeled while tilting her head back and raising a fist from her right hand.
According to the Associated Press, the 18-year-old first-time Olympian had said that she choreographed the end of her routine to show support for the Black Lives Matter movement.
On Friday, Alvarado said that she performed the move during training which she hoped to do during her routine to “highlight the importance of equal rights on a global stage, and champion treating all with respect and dignity.”
“Because we’re all the same,” she said, “and we’re all beautiful and amazing.”
Her routine on Sunday will be her only chance on the Olympic stage. The AP reported she scored a 12.166 on the floor, which did not qualify her to move on to the finals.
Costa Rican gymnast Luciana Alvarado took a knee and raised her fist after her floor routine at the #TokyoOlympics in support of #BLM. @MrShannonLanier says, “I think it was a beautiful sentiment because it just isn’t our fight here. This is a global issue that we’re facing.” pic.twitter.com/cgzCoPl1GU
— BNC (@BNCNews) July 26, 2021
Since that was Alvarado’s only performance, she will likely not face any punishment for her political demonstration since it was technically part of her routine, according to multiple news organizations.
The International Olympic Committee changed certain rules leading up to the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. The guidelines for the games were meant to allow athletes to “express their views” in mixed zones, during interviews or press conferences, and on social media.
The guidelines still meant to “preserve the competition” on the “Field of Play” during ceremonies, medal ceremonies, or in the Olympic Village. The IOC AC Chair Kirsty Coventry said, “The new guidelines are a result of our extensive consultation with the global athletes’ community.” Coventry added:
“While the guidelines offer new opportunities for athletes to express themselves prior to the competition, they preserve the competitions on the Field of Play, the ceremonies, the victory ceremonies and the Olympic Village. This was the wish of a big majority of athletes in our global consultation.”
According to Yahoo Sports, Alvarado is also the first gymnast from Costa Rica to qualify for the Olympics.
- Could Biden Nominate Anti-Gun Activist David Chipman As “Gun Czar”? September 16, 2021
- COVID Hysteria Could Destroy A Generation September 16, 2021
- The Illusion Of Getting Rich While Producing Nothing September 16, 2021
- Report: John Durham Will Seek Indictment of Democratic Lawyer for Allegedly Lying to the F.B.I. During ‘Russian Collusion’ Investigation September 16, 2021
- Watch: Joe Biden Forgets Who He’s Talking To — Calls Australian PM ‘That Fella Down Under’ September 16, 2021
- Major UK Fertilizer Plants Shuttered Due To Skyrocketing Natural Gas Prices September 16, 2021
- Canada’s Conservatives Are Using Soaring Inflation To Help Defeat Trudeau September 15, 2021
- Mary Trump: Donald’s Entire Cabinet in ‘Dereliction of Its Duty’ for Not Invoking 25th Amendment September 15, 2021
- Bonds & Dollar Dump; Crypto Jumps As Debt-Ceiling Doubts Build September 15, 2021
- European Gas Prices Continue Parabolic Rise As EU Debates Nord Stream 2 Certification September 15, 2021
- Larry Elder, ‘Gracious in Defeat’: ‘We May Have Lost the Battle, but We Are Going to Win the War’ September 15, 2021
- Over Two-Thirds Of Businesses Worldwide Report Hiring Difficulties September 15, 2021
- WATCH – Gavin Newsom After Recall Victory: ‘We Said Yes to Science, We Said Yes to Vaccines’ September 15, 2021
- Gavin Newsom to Remain in Office; Democrats Want to Limit Future Recalls September 14, 2021
- Nikki Minaj Sparks MSM Meltdown After Suggesting Americans Think For Themselves About Vaccines September 14, 2021
- Nolte: Elites Violate Mask Mandate at Grotesque Met Gala September 14, 2021
- Biden, Newsom Continue Democrat Tradition of Blaming Climate Change for Wildfires September 14, 2021
- FBI Fires Lead Agent In Whitmer Kidnapping Case September 14, 2021
- Amnesty Alert: Bill ‘Blows Away All Numerical Limits’ on Employer-Based Green Cards — for an Entire Decade September 14, 2021
- A Father Speaks About the Death of his 16yr old son Ernest Ramirez Jr. after he received the COVID19 Vaccine September 13, 2021
- 1,659,674 hits